• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USCG Dueces

Srjeeper

I see the Coast Guard still spares no expense when it comes to crew comfort....even in Denmark..rofl

The first Lightship I was on in 1969 was built in 1926...we use to dump bags of cement into the bilges to stiffen up the hull at the keel. We finally took that one to Boston dry docks in 1970, they gave us a newer ship...made in 1933!

Guess they didn't want to spoil us.....:doh:

Atomic

Maybe one of you coasties, or like me ex-coasties, could jump on fredsplace and post a request of pictures of trucks from the conversations thread. I have a log on but I don't even remember what my screen name is. I think it was cutterdude but I can't remember:cookoo:. Just a thought.

RangerBob

I made several trips to LorSta Attu in the early '80s. The coasties there would scavenge together parts from all of the material left behind by the Navy and Army after WWII. While I was there they kludged together an M37, slapped some paint on it, and called it 'The Whoopie Truck'. We explored most of the northwest end of the island with it, sometimes pushing it up hill, sometimes lunging it across rivers hoping it would bite on the other side before pointing downstream and/or sinking, and frequently having one guy walk out front watching for UXO.

But I digress. Point is, just because it wasn't issued to them, doesn't mean the scurvy scalawags and scamps didn't raid the local dump. They seemed to be the perennial little brothers, surviving off the hand-me-downs of those who went before.

Last edited:

M923driver

A lot of times, it was a matter of scale. A few trucks to the Army are spares, to the Coast Guard, it's a motor pool. Sometimes there are only a few "issued" due to need. I was on an emergency communications team on my last assignment and I tried to order a horse ...didn't work out well. (organically fueled auxillary transportation device) We did have 2 Dodge 1 ton vans with headers and Edelbrock intakes that ran like raped apes, no others like them!