• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USCG SPC SW 24’ Boat

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a US Coast Guard SPC SW (Special Purpose Craft- Shallow Water) boat last fall on the GSA site. It was located at the Fort Macon North Carolina Coast Guard Station. When I bought it, the twin Honda 150 outboards had been removed along with most of the electronics. I contacted Metal Shark, the company that manufactured the boat, to request a manual and the specs for the boat. They offered to inspect the boat and do an overhaul at a reasonable cost so I hauled the boat to the Metal Shark facility in Bayou LaBatre, AL.

The boat was outfitted with twin Yamaha 225 hp engines and the Yamaha Helm Master control system. The Helm Master system allows the engines to be controlled independently using a joystick. It is a fantastic system and allows the boat to move sideways when docking. The engines are mounted on a Jack plate. Heavy duty trim tabs allow the boat to be dialed in while carrying heavy or uneven loads. The fuel system has a 100 gallon capacity. Other upgrades include the seats were reupholstered; VHF marine radio; stereo; Garmin GPS fishfinder/sonar; and remote spotlight.

Here are some additional specs on the USCG SPC SW-

Metal Shark was awarded a contract by the USCG Office of Boat Forces to build a total of 90 SPC-SW patrol vessels in September 2008. The USCG will deploy 40 units, while the remaining will be deployed with the Customs and Border Protection. The first craft in the fleet, Coast Guard 24500, was commissioned in 2008. The SPC-SW multi-mission response boat is based on the Metal Shark 24 Relentless standard platform. Its hull features a hard chine planing boat design made from marine grade aluminum alloy. A cathodic protection system is installed to protect the exterior surfaces of the hull. The vessel can be transported on public roads by a trailer developed by AmeraTrail. The overall length of the vessel is 27ft, while the beam is 8ft 3in, height is 12ft 9½in, and draft is 1ft 6in. The vessel weighs 6,880lb and incorporates non-skid, aluminum decks and gunnels. The patrol craft is equipped with two shock-mitigating patrol seats and two jump seats accommodating a coxswain, a boat crew member, and up to two additional crew personnel or passengers while executing high-speed mission duties. It can also carry up to six additional personnel. Other equipment fitted to the vessel include a partially-enclosed centre console with an aluminum canopy, lighting systems, fire extinguisher, two 12VDC submersible bilge pumps, bilge pump panel, windshield wipers and washers, and an anchoring system. The SPC-SW also incorporates three 12VDC marine grade lead-acid batteries, including a port engine starting battery, starboard engine starting battery and a dual-purpose battery. It can also be fitted with mounted automatic weapon and a tripod gun mount on the forward deck.

Attachments

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Tommy2Patrick! I am excited to have this boat. The refit was expensive like anything for the marine industry. However, I was lucky to have Metal Shark take on the project. They were interested to see how their design did over the boat’s service with the USCG and they had a space in their production schedule over the winter. They sold the engines and other parts to me at their OEM cost, which was a great savings on the project.

I am planning to use this boat for the Tennessee River Expedition 2024 or TennEx ‘24 as we are calling it. We will be in Knoxville, TN in October as part of the “Vol Navy” for the Tennessee vs Alabama football game. Following the game, we will depart downriver for Paducah, KY and the Ohio River. We will travel the length of the Tennessee River stopping to see sights and camping along the way.

Attachments

tommys2patrick

Looks like it was outfitted for some pretty rough water with those impact absorbing seats. I like the built in bumpers. suppose you would need that if you had to board another vessel as well. machine gun mounts definitely give it a wow factor. even an airsoft model would be sure to please all. yea i'm jealous. happy sailing.

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll wave at you when you pass Perryville Marina, TN River Mile 135. Near the Hwy. 412 bridge, Alvin York Bridge. Nice boat ! Smooth sailing!
I am across the river in Linden, TN so I hope to catch up with you at the Perryville Marina sometime! I put the boat in the water at the Mousetail State Park ramp for my first TN River run. Uncle Sam may have retired these old warhorses but I plan to keep them running a while.

Attachments

Smiml7

I found a US Coast Guard SPC SW (Special Purpose Craft- Shallow Water) boat last fall on the GSA site. It was located at the Fort Macon North Carolina Coast Guard Station. When I bought it, the twin Honda 150 outboards had been removed along with most of the electronics. I contacted Metal Shark, the company that manufactured the boat, to request a manual and the specs for the boat. They offered to inspect the boat and do an overhaul at a reasonable cost so I hauled the boat to the Metal Shark facility in Bayou LaBatre, AL.

The boat was outfitted with twin Yamaha 225 hp engines and the Yamaha Helm Master control system. The Helm Master system allows the engines to be controlled independently using a joystick. It is a fantastic system and allows the boat to move sideways when docking. The engines are mounted on a Jack plate. Heavy duty trim tabs allow the boat to be dialed in while carrying heavy or uneven loads. The fuel system has a 100 gallon capacity. Other upgrades include the seats were reupholstered; VHF marine radio; stereo; Garmin GPS fishfinder/sonar; and remote spotlight.

Here are some additional specs on the USCG SPC SW-

Metal Shark was awarded a contract by the USCG Office of Boat Forces to build a total of 90 SPC-SW patrol vessels in September 2008. The USCG will deploy 40 units, while the remaining will be deployed with the Customs and Border Protection. The first craft in the fleet, Coast Guard 24500, was commissioned in 2008. The SPC-SW multi-mission response boat is based on the Metal Shark 24 Relentless standard platform. Its hull features a hard chine planing boat design made from marine grade aluminum alloy. A cathodic protection system is installed to protect the exterior surfaces of the hull. The vessel can be transported on public roads by a trailer developed by AmeraTrail. The overall length of the vessel is 27ft, while the beam is 8ft 3in, height is 12ft 9½in, and draft is 1ft 6in. The vessel weighs 6,880lb and incorporates non-skid, aluminum decks and gunnels. The patrol craft is equipped with two shock-mitigating patrol seats and two jump seats accommodating a coxswain, a boat crew member, and up to two additional crew personnel or passengers while executing high-speed mission duties. It can also carry up to six additional personnel. Other equipment fitted to the vessel include a partially-enclosed centre console with an aluminum canopy, lighting systems, fire extinguisher, two 12VDC submersible bilge pumps, bilge pump panel, windshield wipers and washers, and an anchoring system. The SPC-SW also incorporates three 12VDC marine grade lead-acid batteries, including a port engine starting battery, starboard engine starting battery and a dual-purpose battery. It can also be fitted with mounted automatic weapon and a tripod gun mount on the forward deck.
Do you mind sharing what you paid for the boat without before the refurbish? I found one for sale locally. Not sure if it’s a good deal or not seeing how there’s not much of a market on them.

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The government had reserve auction prices for these surplus USCG boats ranging from $25k to over $40K depending on location and condition of the boat.

The marine industry, like the aviation industry, is a very expensive market. Watercraft made for government use are extremely heavy duty and well made. The kind of quality that goes into government boats comes at a high cost. The contact price for these boats was over $200,000. If you contact the manufacturer to order this model today, then the price would likely be over $300k.

During my time in the Navy, I qualified as a small boat coxswain and operated many types of watercraft. It has been a dream for me since I was in the service to own a boat like this. The USCG SPC SW boat is very unique and I am fortunate to have it. I do not think surplus boats are the right choice for most recreational boaters. There are less expensive, more comfortable options available in the recreational marine industry.

canadacountry

@tmuenster although its a bit of 'orange and apple' thing at times the same applies to a lot of other mechanical stuffs, cue an industrial-designed 4-banger diesel refitted for vehicle usage being a slow powerplant but would last well over 200k miles versus a car manufacturer designed 4-banger diesel having problems over time and finally gets scrapped at just 90k miles .. and mind you even certain small pickups during the 1980-1990's used to have eg a perkins engine in them considering that such engines normally were only found in tractors or fixed-base generator setups at that time!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks