• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

using a military antenna with am/fm radio

oli

I know there are post on here about this already but i have yet to see a clear results on how to do it. also i do not know much about the radio parts when it comes the the freqs so please bear with me.

I am looking to use a military whip antenna on a cars radio what kind would work best and is there anything i would to do or get beside the mount and antenna?

Any help i could get i would really apreciate. thank you

AN/ARC186

I took an old non working MX-6707/VRC Antenna mast base, removed the internals, ran the shield for the coax to the "outside" of the base adapter where the mast screws on, attached the center conductor to the center pin on the base adapter. Screwed on a mast and it works great, I used RG-59 for my coax, solder a motorola connector to the one end to fit the radio and a BNC to the other end to fit the antenna base.
I'll see if I have pics of the conversion.

ssdvc

I took an old non working MX-6707/VRC Antenna mast base, removed the internals, ran the shield for the coax to the "outside" of the base adapter where the mast screws on, attached the center conductor to the center pin on the base adapter. Screwed on a mast and it works great, I used RG-59 for my coax, solder a motorola connector to the one end to fit the radio and a BNC to the other end to fit the antenna base.
I'll see if I have pics of the conversion.
Cant wait to see pics. I want to use the military antennas for both my future CB radio and now for my am/fm. How good is the reception on your setup?

oli

Cant wait to see pics. I want to use the military antennas for both my future CB radio and now for my am/fm. How good is the reception on your setup?
i would love to see pics cause i am not fully sure how you are doing it. i am not radio smart at all. sorry

wilfreeman

That would be cool for the dual antenna setups - use one for the am/fm radio and one for a cb. Could you put a tee in there and use one antenna for both? Would be cool to have some tunes along with the cb in my 'a1!

Last edited:

M813A1

You could use the AB-15 antenna base with the MS-116, MS-117, MS-118 antenna sections to a length of 110 " inches and that would work go for your CB and it should work as well for the radio

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A tee would not work if a transmitter (CB) is one of the devices attached. The other radio on the tee would be zapped, plus, attaching any second device to the antenna would upset the impedance for the transmitter match. Two receivers could probably be used on the same antenna but would probably degrade each other. Best way would be to run them through a two-way splitter. A cheap TV splitter (75 Ohms) would work fine for two receivers.

quickfarms

You could use the AB-15 antenna base with the MS-116, MS-117, MS-118 antenna sections to a length of 110 " inches and that would work go for your CB and it should work as well for the radio
That setup works because the long 1/4 wave whip antenna is 107" if I remember everything correctly.

CliffSegar

I want to use the military antennas for both my future CB radio and now for my am/fm. - ssdvc
Could you put a tee in there and use one antenna for both? - wilfreeman

If there is a transmitter involved, something must be done to keep the power from entering the receiver. There are 2 reasons for this. First, as TENNMOGGER stated, having the feedline connected to the receiver will totally mess with the hopefully 50 ohm impedence that the transmitter needs for proper operation. Second, the relatively high power of the transmitter with just plain smoke the front end of the receiver.
In the world of amateur radio, this sort of situation is achievable. It can ce done with high Q tuned circuits (called a diplexer) or through the use of RF relays.
As for the reception of an AM/FM radio using mil antennas; the receiver portion of a radio is far more forgiving as to being an impedence match. The matching circuits inside of some of the tuning base parts may severly attenuate the AM and/or FM signal - maybe to the point of non-reception in fringe areas.

wilfreeman

Basically, since I don't spend alot of time in my jeep, it's really not worth the time or expense - or at least thats what it sounds like to me. I can throw my battery powered Dewalt radio in the back of the jeep and go!

Jouster

Hello 3 Star General. I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here. I need an antenna that will work with my CB and I'm very non-tech. Is there any chance you could put one of these together and set it up for CB and I'd buy it from you?

mm58

Jouster, buy a 102" stainless whip for the CB. Use a ball mount with spring on your vehicle.
All are available online or probably at your local radio shack.

Jouster

mm58, thank you for the suggestion, but that is not the look I'm after. I want the heavy fiberglass "stinger" antenna, as seen on humvees. A 102 inch whip does not resemble this.

ckwatson

I have a 1961 Swiss Unimog S404.1. Mounted on the driver's side (left) in front of the driver's door is a very tall (est. 8 foot, but I can measure), large, spring mounted antenna.

What can be connected to this antenna? AM/FM radio? CB radio? What kind of radio would have been connected to this antenna? It looks like the rear mounted antennas on pictures of Humvees.

Any help appreciated.

V/R,
Chris Watson

dmetalmiki

Any radio receiver will work fine. If you must transmit, just have a switchable splitter (common from radio shack etc) And a good Aerial matcher/swr meter. I had that setup in my F350 ambulance, with a stereo, and a C.B. I used a K.7. C.B. antenna, but in the wrecker we use the U.S.Army 8 foot whip.
Both Work fine.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CkWatson, How about some pictures? Some antennas are tuned and/or shunt fed and transmitting into them on a non-tunable frequency might make your transmitter very unhappy, or the tuner if you use one. The antenna might present as a dead short on CB frequencies, you just don't know.

NATO Unimog radio trucks used an AB-15 with MS-116 series whip sections. Never saw one cab mounted though. Some very exotic antennas can be seen on the back of HMMWV's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks