• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using the deuce for emergency power generation

TexAndy

I just had a wild hair...

Considering that some people have successfully mounted a second alternator (12V) on a bracket for vehicles accessories in their deuces... why not put an alternator that can handle some serious amps?

What's the most amount of power you could reasonably expect to generate before you run into the physical limitations of the belt and pulley arrangement?

The stock alternator is 24V 150A, right? So we know it can do 3600 watts.

Second question: Is there enough room in the engine compartment for that large of an alternator?

Keith_J

Anything over 10 HP (5 kW) is asking for rapid belt wear. Belts, especially V-types, are inefficient and wear rapidly. As you should know.

Now, there are solutions. Like PTO mounted units, although you have to figure out how to do that but it could be done. Since most AC stuff is 60 Hz, you have to run the engine at 1800 RPM for a 4 pole generator. That means you have about 100 Hp which should serve about 50 kW, if you can make the governor regulated within 1 Hz or 120 RPM at 1800 RPM. The PTO for the winch isn't good for too much power, about 20 Hp would be my best guess although the exact numbers for the shear pin torque were published recently. See shear pin threads. Torque multiplied by RPM (I don't know the gear reduction of the PTO), divided by 33,000 is horsepower. It takes about 2 Hp to drive 1 kW, due to frequency issues. 1 Hp is about 746 Watts.

The Janiter

I have a 12v 100amp. off an old 350 diesel GM that I bought new shortly before I changed engines and sold the car - this is fairly small and self contained.

It looks like it will fit easily in the area by the injector with fabed brackets, since my heater is in the cab - batteries in tool box and buss bar under dash w/ fuse block from junk car.

Power inverter from an RV. for 110v

Has any one tried this set up yet?

jimm1009

There is a S.S. memeber selling a kit that has about 189 amps that piggy backs above the stock unit or his 24 volt GM based unit which is about 65 amps above 1,200 RPM.

I purchased the 24 voilt unit and it is really slick + 5 amps is good too and it won't cost you an arm and a leg to get it fixed if it were to break down in 10 or 15 years.

I highly recommend this as a quality add on for serious power requirements.

His commercial site is below but mention that you are a S.S. member if you inquire.

http://www.wolverinetechnologiesllc.com/AlternatorKitM35M54.html

jimm1009

Last edited:

The Janiter

Jimm; I was wanting to keep both systems independent of each other to simplify and isolate from one another.

It will give me 12v - 24v - 110v ac.

And the inverter I have in my Travel trailer when plunged in to 110 charges the batteries.

This will give me a added benefit when the truck sits.

Look at a RV. junk yard for the inverters if you think this would work for any of you - they are fairly reasonable and available in many configurations.

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought i rememeber seeing a thread where there was one alternator that had 24v and 12v outputs....like one alternator behind another one maybe? if you had one of those and then maybe where would be enough room to install a small generator off the engine and inly use it when the engine is at the correct speed to make the 120vac @ 60hz. Then like kieth said, belt wear an such.....not sure. somebody needs to make a serpentine retro fit.....whos it gonna be? :mrgreen:

Snarky

Deuce's don't like to hang around idling producing power. You would have to find the right rpm with the hand throttle to make sure you're not producing a lot of uncombusted fuel but at the same time not producing more heat than the fan can handle over a long period of time. Probably between 1000 and 1500 rpms. At this point a 'C' turboed deuce is still pretty loud and not something you would like to hang around unmuffled. Also it's drinking at lot of fuel per hour, idle or not, but that's okay if you're burning waste of some sort.

Screamin' Metal

Well.....I've sat back and listened and watched.....all great ideas and advice. Good ole Ma Duece......yea......you can do some work and make them into a portable power station for the house if you loose power.

While I had to convert one over to this configuration.....I cannot tell you when or where I did this......but it does work.

While I had alot at my desposal....we needed power......10KW at least. We had a welder/gen. combo with a shot engine. I built a bracket to run the generator off the PTO, Since the PTO speed is 1800 and the generator has to run @ 3600......I used a doubler from Surplus Supply. From the transfer output.....I ran a shaft with a lovejoy into the doubler, and another lovejoy to protect the gen.

Under the hood, i rigged up a secondary throttle lever with a governor typa setup watergated from a stationary motor setup. While it took me about 20 hours of non-stop rigging to accomplish this.......for the next year, I was supplied with a box of cigars every week from the QM , then upper people kept it up for my 'rigging' potential to be kept in reserve.........:lol::lol::lol:......but that old 10 kw gal would drink diesel like there was no tomorrow.....and she was deafening to be around!!!!!

The old mil gen sets ran off 3 or 4 v-belts......and they could be a severe pain-in-the-ass!

Screamin' Metal

Second question: Is there enough room in the engine compartment for that large of an alternator?

Yes, but it depends on the size. I've had a 3 row pulley machined out to match the 3 row pulley on the ass end of a big generator......having a big hinge arrangement so the generators weight would put tension on the belts....then lock it down like a big, oversized alternator.....I also added a large fan, like off a electrric fan blowing air in the shop, to the inside of the dive pulley to keep the generator cool......it can get hot as **** under a Dueces hood...........

Screamin' Metal

Yes, but it depends on the size. I've had a 3 row pulley machined out to match the 3 row pulley on the ass end of a big generator......having a big hinge arrangement so the generators weight would put tension on the belts....then lock it down like a big, oversized alternator.....I also added a large fan, like off a electrric fan blowing air in the shop, to the inside of the dive pulley to keep the generator cool......it can get hot as **** under a Dueces hood...........I also had to cut

Screamin' Metal

Yes, but it depends on the size. I've had a 3 row pulley machined out to match the 3 row pulley on the ass end of a big generator......having a big hinge arrangement so the generators weight would put tension on the belts....then lock it down like a big, oversized alternator.....I also added a large fan, like off a electrric fan blowing air in the shop, to the inside of the dive pulley to keep the generator cool......it can get hot as **** under a Dueces hood...........I also had to cut out

Screamin' Metal

Yes, but it depends on the size. I've had a 3 row pulley machined out to match the 3 row pulley on the ass end of a big generator......having a big hinge arrangement so the generators weight would put tension on the belts....then lock it down like a big, oversized alternator.....I also added a large fan, like off a electrric fan blowing air in the shop, to the inside of the dive pulley to keep the generator cool......it can get hot as **** under a Dueces hood...........I also had to cut out some sheetmetal for clearence. You

Screamin' Metal

Yes, but it depends on the size. I've had a 3 row pulley machined out to match the 3 row pulley on the ass end of a big generator......having a big hinge arrangement so the generators weight would put tension on the belts....then lock it down like a big, oversized alternator.....I also added a large fan, like off a electrric fan blowing air in the shop, to the inside of the dive pulley to keep the generator cool......it can get hot as **** under a Dueces hood...........I also had to cut out some sheetmetal for clearence. You got quite a bit of

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought i rememeber seeing a thread where there was one alternator that had 24v and 12v outputs....like one alternator behind another one maybe? if you had one of those and then maybe where would be enough room to install a small generator off the engine and inly use it when the engine is at the correct speed to make the 120vac @ 60hz. Then like kieth said, belt wear an such.....not sure. somebody needs to make a serpentine retro fit.....whos it gonna be? :mrgreen:
Yes, they made some for Hmmves. I have one, and it will be going in my M109 very shortly.

It fits in the stock alternator spot, but is a bit bigger around. I believe it is 100amp 24v and 12v. I have 3 optimas in the battery box, two for the 24 and one for the 'house power' 12v for cab accessories and the inverter in the box.

JasonS

Torque multiplied by RPM (I don't know the gear reduction of the PTO), divided by 33,000 is horsepower. It takes about 2 Hp to drive 1 kW, due to frequency issues. 1 Hp is about 746 Watts.
Not sure what you mean by "frequency issues"? It is due to losses in the conversion from mechanical to electrical energy.

mikes47jeep

I just don’t see how it would be more practical than a regular 110v/220v generator you'll get more power with less fuel consumption that way

just my 2cents

Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks