• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V100 mods

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forgive my ignorance, but how does that oil cooler in the driveshaft tunnel get air? I'm not trying to pick anything apart, just wondered?

Kawgomoo

Banned
Since everything is so nicely done, i wont comment on that Russel Push Lock hose Even though you put a crimp clamp on it, and its not under any pressure ;)

wgtactical

Forgive my ignorance, but how does that oil cooler in the driveshaft tunnel get air? I'm not trying to pick anything apart, just wondered?
That tunnel is evacuated by the huge fan in the rear of the vehicle causing cabin air to be pulled through, some of it across the cooler.

Since everything is so nicely done, i wont comment on that Russel Push Lock hose Even though you put a crimp clamp on it, and its not under any pressure ;)
Nah it's not under pressure but those are real teflon lined, high pressure braided stainless hydraulic hoses made up by a hydraulic shop down the road.

Kawgomoo

Banned
Ah not those cute little braided hoses, i was talking about the blue line {tcase vent?}

I always hated the russel push lock hose because its a nice bright blue, and the fittings have bright yellow plastic lock rings on them. My old drag truck was red..with blue and yellow everywhere. Only a mother could love her ;)

So on a serious note, what do you do with these things? Seems like they are being built to suit with a customer in mind. Im new to the whole mv world, are their agencies buying, restoring and retrofitting these?

I would personally like to take some sort of mv, and update the suspension so its more.....fun? Military stuff is always so stiff, massive leaf packs and what not. Like OTR trucks adapted to go offroad. Going at a mv with the intent of shedding some pounds, building it for the duty it will actually see. You could do some really amazing things!

Look at monster trucks from the 80s and Modern ones. Such a massive difference in performance. The only real changes being link design and spring rate, dampening etc. {coilovers instead of leafpacks and shocks} and of course. weight :) And to be honest, monster trucks are waaaayyy behind when it comes talking modern suspension for going fast offroad.

that pic of the v-100 getting some air is inspiring! you dont need huge uptravel and gobs of lift to get insane wheel travel and performance. its all about droop baby! {how else does a trophy truck that sits 18 inches off the ground have 3' of wheel travel?}

We built this last year {last last year?} for spikes tactical. unfortunately we never got to actually mount the guns in it, but it has mounts for a dillon aero mingun up top and a 50 belt fed out the front passenger windshield area..like gi joe i suppose. its a real basic car, but kind of a fun idea.

http://cars.ultimateauto.com/2012-Tatum-Motorsports-Orlando-FL-32804/4796866

anyways just rambling on. my sons home sick all week, so instead of being at work doing something productive im bored off my butt admiring everyone elses ambition!

Last edited:

wgtactical

Ah not those cute little braided hoses, i was talking about the blue line {tcase vent?}

I always hated the russel push lock hose because its a nice bright blue, and the fittings have bright yellow plastic lock rings on them. My old drag truck was red..with blue and yellow everywhere. Only a mother could love her ;)
Yeah the blue stuff is silicone...I have it all over this thing including the coolant circuit and turbo plumbing.

Another Ahab

We built this last year {last last year?} for spikes tactical. unfortunately we never got to actually mount the guns in it, but it has mounts for a dillon aero mingun up top and a 50 belt fed out the front passenger windshield area..like gi joe i suppose. its a real basic car, but kind of a fun idea.

http://cars.ultimateauto.com/2012-Tatum-Motorsports-Orlando-FL-32804/4796866

anyways just rambling on. my sons home sick all week, so instead of being at work doing something productive im bored off my butt admiring everyone elses ambition!
Hey, THAT'S nice:

- Can't exactly call the thing "basic"

Why not post the thing under the Hot Rod forum, and tell us about it. Got more?

Kawgomoo

Banned
Once it conveys ownership {leaves our shop} i dont really know if its my place to talk about it. I have no problems linking pictures that are on our website or others. But i generally dont take pictures inside the shop. LOL maybe i worked for the govt too long? Top secret sand cars! the world cant handle the truth! lol...or not. Eh its just, if i had something new and cool id hate to go show it off and people be like, eh. seen it. lol that would suck.

I didnt take those pictures, i believe thats a for sale add from Spikes or maybe someone who bought it?

Ill ask the boss if its ok to post and talk about. since they are already bought and sold. i do know we built more than one, and there were some functional changes made.

Another Ahab

Pull us out of Hijack Hazard here, and post what you got separately:

- I'm thinking some others might want to look as well.

If it Clears with Command: please bring it on.

Kawgomoo

Banned
wasnt trying to hijack...just throwing it out there. :)

The v-100 doesnt float...does it? that giant fan on the back is givin me swamp boat flash backs :)

Ive always wanted something like this, just never knew what they were. its like an arff....but without all the junk we strip off anyways.

its kind of an odd shape...what exactly is its given purpose? armored people mover or something?

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
originally they were designed for convoy protect and perimeter patrol, developed during the early 60s and used by several countries/armies including US, ARVN during the late 1960s.

Very cool and fun vehicles. In original configuration, they would float...

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In addition to what Jason said, the V100 in its original configuration is amphibious, propelled/steered in the water by its own wheels, speed around 3-5mph in calm waters. There are a couple of other V restoration threads, in that section of the forums, which show the original configuration. WGT's is heavily modified, its in its own class now!

Cheers

Another Ahab

Thanks for the clarification, M813.

And I can't help but notice that you have one MASSIVE motor pool:

- You running a museum?

Or maybe you just like MV's, either way: Yee-HAW.

baseballump

3 star I have seen Rory collection Not a museum But I think he is working on it His V looks (almost his gun set up is different he has a 50 and ?? we had m-73s ) and drives like the ones we used in Vietnam for MP convoy duty with the 630th MP Co.

Kawgomoo

Banned
The front of that v-100 reminds me so much of the type of skiff we used to run around with to crab and fish with. I figured it had to made to get wet somehow.

A personal mv musuem. Now theres a thought. :tank::naner::beer: <~ over smileyfication

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a museum, I just don't know when a sensible man would stop! Perhaps poor impulse control? (That doesn't work as an excuse when you plan ahead though, does it..). My neighbour (Sarge) is just as bad, he has more stuff than me.

Baseballump, I've added a few since you last visited, and fixed the 'belt-throwing' problem, so y'all need to come back. Just pick a day when it isn't nearly 110*! :)

Cheers

Kawgomoo

Banned
Inanimate Object Fixation and Acquisition Disorder. There is no cure. Now if only the hmo would cover treatment {Symptom relief, for quality of life improvement. Since this is after all terminal ;) }

Another Ahab

Inanimate Object Fixation and Acquisition Disorder. There is no cure. Now if only the hmo would cover treatment {Symptom relief, for quality of life improvement. Since this is after all terminal ;) }
We prefer the laymen's term around here, Doctor. And that is the stubborn, and untreatable:

- Green Disease.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since its incurable, I should probably be treated with regular new MV doses, rather than haphazard self medication I've been administering.

But we digress, and thread hijack...

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks