• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Valentines Day Deuce

Ridgerunner

Hi guys, a little over a year ago I purchased my first Deuce. When I bought it my only intention was to cut it up for the axles and drive shafts for my mud bogger, part out what I could to recoupe some money and scrap the rest. Little did I know at the time , how cool a Deuce was. The truck was in great shape and about 30 or so members here on SS got parts. I shipped alot of parts around the country on top of the ones that people stopped by to get. The only things left were the bare cab, steering column, steering box, air cleaner lid and the rear suspension ( there literally wasn't much left) While about half way into taking the truck apart I started to realize how simple but well built the truck was, and I really started to take a liking to the Deuce. By this time I had already sold alot of major parts off it, so the damage was already done and there was no going back.

Cutting up/parting out the old truck was one of my biggest regrets. Granted the axles are under my bogger now, but I wished I would have kept the Deuce. Since then I've had the "ITCH" to get another. And I had it bad.

My wife knows my feeling of wanting another Deuce, and found one for sale on the internet. So today (Valentines Day) we take a road trip and go look at it. It's a pretty good shape (No rust) 1970 M35A2 with 6871 miles on the ticker, front winch, whistler turbo, air-shift front axle, rear cover with all the bows and troop seats and an M105 trailer with a cover sides and bows.

Even though I technicaly owned a Deuce before, now I can officialy say I'm the proud onwer of a Deuce. I put money down and get to go back and pick it up Monday. I can't wait. I couldn't have done it with out the wife. (I think I'll keep her)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
nopics

:razz:

Ridgerunner

It was kind of bitter sweet, On one hand I am finally getting a Deuce, (with a winch none the less) and on the outher hand, here's my wife happily signing the check for it and I hadn't even gotten her a card for Valentines Day.

Ridgerunner

One thing that no one bought directly was the Deuce box (must not be that much of a demand) So I used the Deuce frame and box and built a trailer. I had two Dexter 7000# axels in the back yard so I put them under it painted everything and it sold less than a week. It pulled great behind my dually Ford, but I had no need for such a trailer.

Attachments

Ridgerunner

Went and picked up my Deuce today. I had some friends going over to Detroit and because my stop was on the way, my wife and I hitched a ride with them. They dropped us off at the guy's house with the Deuce and they kept heading east. We get the title, fire up the Deuce and away we go. It took us an Hour and a half to get home, and she ran great. It was just getting dark when we left for home, and the guy says, "Oh yeah the trailer lights don't work" He had switched the lights and trailer plug on the M105 trailer over to 12-volts so he could pull it behind his one-ton. I had a few people pull next to us while driving and tell us about it :oops: Thats the only real problem that we had encountered, other than one headlight out and the fuel gage doesn't work, so all in all, it went pretty smooth

I have to menction this also, It's 25 degrees out tonight (I'm in Michigan) and the Deuce doesn't have a heater. I was fine with it, (my smile was keeping me warm) but my better half was a bit cold. She didn't complain, but after an hour and a half in the tin box, with only a canvas top, I could tell she was cold.

Ridgerunner

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I do have a question though, one thing that needs to be fixed first on the list is there is no way to shut the truck off when it is running other than put it in 4th or 5th gear at idle, hold the brakes and let the clutch out. I can pull the kill handle but nothing happens. I'm new to this, so where do I start looking for the problem.

Ridgerunner

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I do have a question though, one thing that needs to be fixed first on the list is there is no way to shut the truck off when it is running other than put it in 4th or 5th gear at idle, hold the brakes and let the clutch out. I can pull the kill handle but nothing happens. I'm new to this, so where do I start looking for the problem.

Wow, 68 new views since this question was posted and no insight/help. I'm glad I'm not stranded some place on the side of the road waiting for a responce.

brianrbull

Good Catch, follow the cable down to the Inj pump see if it connected. if you are still haviln problems in a week I will be home on leave You could take a road trip to the farm (80 Acres of Apple trees and such) good place to test the 6x6 action......

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Thanks man....for the help, and the invite. I drive right by you on M-37 on my way up to Baldwin, to go to our cabin.

This the first Diesel that I've ever owned (so I don't know much about 'em)
I take it that the "Engine Stop" is just a hand pull cable that closes a valve in the injector pump that stops the flow of fuel?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks