• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Value of 1986 CUCV M1008

bwilson7990

I have a good buddy that has the truck mentioned in the title, 55k-ish original miles, off-road tires, manual glow plug system that needs completed, block heater, MinuteMan V-style plow. No weight class identifier, no blackout lights but all circuits work. What's she worth??

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$3000-$6000 , hard to say without pictures.

But I would have to go with the low end since it looks like it's in a state where it is common to put Swiss cheese on hamburgs instead of American cheese.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To whom?

You list a very similar vehicle in your signature.

What is yours worth?

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I agree with DogHead, I can't even give this one away! It does have some desirable axles under it. For what it's worth to everyone else, I'll keep it.

Attachments

LT67

I agree with DogHead, I can't even give this one away! It does have some desirable axles under it. For what it's worth to everyone else, I'll keep it.
You were selling that??

Btw, some of the prices I've seen recently on CUCV's have gotten insanely high. I bought mine last summer for a lil under 4K. Haven't seen one listed anything close to it since then.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You were selling that??

Btw, some of the prices I've seen recently on CUCV's have gotten insanely high. I bought mine last summer for a lil under 4K. Haven't seen one listed anything close to it since then.
What they are asking and what they are getting are two different things , just because someone wants a stupid price doesn't mean they find someone stupid enough to pay it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a good buddy that has the truck mentioned in the title, 55k-ish original miles, off-road tires, manual glow plug system that needs completed, block heater, MinuteMan V-style plow. No weight class identifier, no blackout lights but all circuits work. What's she worth??
Off road tires mean 4 wheeling
Manual glow plugs mean something doesn’t work correctly (usually).
Snow Plow means abuse and salt....aka rust.

Need pics since a modified truck is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it in that condition.
The all stock trucks will always be worth more to most guys.

Only guessing without pictures.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Off road tires mean 4 wheeling
Manual glow plugs mean something doesn’t work correctly (usually).
Snow Plow means abuse and salt....aka rust.

Need pics since a modified truck is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it in that condition.
The all stock trucks will always be worth more to most guys.

Only guessing without pictures.
Off road tires generally suck for plowing also , tall, narrow and aggressive is what you want for snow.

LT67

What they are asking and what they are getting are two different things , just because someone wants a stupid price doesn't mean they find someone stupid enough to pay it.
There was an M1008 fully restored listed on Craigslist in the Atlanta area initially for 12K. Sat there for a few months and the owner kept gradually lowering the price. It listed 9K a few weeks ago and disappeared off of Craigslist. Dunno if someone bought it or the owner decided to take it off.....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once my M1010 has been in the classifieds for a month, I will also list it on CL. 99℅ stock ambulance listed for $4500 and not a nibble.

cucvrus

I know the feeling. I have an all stock 1987 M1028 that I listed and offered for sale. Asking $5500. negotiable and never heard boo. I just keep using it. I have off road tires on it for off road use. I mean why have a 4wd and not use it off road? Not abuse just use. I had Easter Find completely redone and no one was interested. So going forward I am going to just fix CUCV's as I see fit and find someone to fill the seat or use them as work vehicles. Sort of a MTO. Made To Order. I have a few I am currently gearing up to redo. If someone wants them fine if not fine also. I have a few storage garages to keep them in. Someday the pickers will show up. Maybe.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never trust ebay prices.

Too much shill bidding there.

Look at the feedback left for that truck you linked. Sale price listed in feedback left for seller says $300.

bwilson7990

So this is actually the truck that's in my profile. I made this account to help my buddy when he first got it. I would be buying it from him. When he bought the truck from a fire company that used it as a brush truck the glow plug controller had already been removed and they had already mucked up the wiring with all of their accessories. It definitely hasn't been abused too much with the plow on it, all the hardware for bolting up the plow fits nicely. It's definitely got some rust underneath but it's not anything serious, all surface rust really. He installed the off-road tires after purchasing it so all the four wheeling would have been done by he or I. Thanks for all the replies though that gives me a good idea. I guess we'll have to compared to some others on the market and figure out what she's worth between the two of us like a few of you mentioned.

bwilson7990

And actually he just informed me that when he bought the truck he bought the plow with it but it had never been installed on that truck specifically. It came off of another truck just like it. So it's barely ever really had the plow on it for an extended period of time and we're the only ones who have plowed anything with it. And the even that was short-lived due to mechanical issues with the plow. And now that I'm thinking about it I guess we did install the entire plow wiring harness so it definitely never had a plow on it before

rodent

Never trust ebay prices.
Too much shill bidding there.
Look at the feedback left for that truck you linked. Sale price listed in feedback left for seller says $300.
Not sure why the $300 was on the reviews but the truck did sell for $8500. Good feedback was left. But I do see some negative reviews from that seller which may hurt any auction.

I have bought and sold vehicles on ebay with no issues. Made $5k on an old Camaro one time. Sold my buddies rock crawler too. Its more buyers and not a bad way to sell if you have something rare. Standard cars you can find in on CL are a waste of time on ebay to sell there.

sandcobra164

I say negotiate a deal that can make both of you happy. There is a market for these trucks but it's somewhat limited. I had a generous offer for mine in this same thread but it got deleted. It is what it is. It's a 30 year old chevy with the best running gear that they had when built. I've had mine for 7 years and even when I toss it up for grabs, barely a nibble. I do get the "I would give my left nut" messages but they never follow through and it's still safe and sound on my 2 acres. I get plenty of "take care of it advice" and I will.

cucvrus

I know the feeling. Hear it all the time. I have to finish a few nice ones and sell them. But the cheap ones don't sell. how can I sell frame offs and break even? Original ones don't sell. Must be a see who can pay the most game on the government auctions. Have a great day.