• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Value of 1986 CUCV M1008

cucvrus

I would NOT want one as a daily driver. My Wife would not tolerate that set up. Not in Florida or Pennsylvania. Even with A/C it is past it's prime for comfort IMHO. I love all mine as utility vehicles but other then that they fall far short. Used for the intended design. Awesome without fail. Have a great weekend. I am departing for NY state. Looking for bargains.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would NOT want one as a daily driver. My Wife would not tolerate that set up. Not in Florida or Pennsylvania. Even with A/C it is past it's prime for comfort IMHO. I love all mine as utility vehicles but other then that they fall far short. Used for the intended design. Awesome without fail. Have a great weekend. I am departing for NY state. Looking for bargains.
What type of bargains you looking for?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Save your money and buy a easier truck to work on. Those 6.2 and 6.5 are a PITA to work on.
The 6.2L couldn’t be ANY easier to work on.

My Duramax is a nightmare and parts are expensive.
I just spent $400 on new GM fuel injection preformed hoses.
Injectors alone are over $800 each.
Lower radiator hose is $350
......you get the idea.

I know it’s comparing apples to oranges but the 6.2L is a breeze to work on.
Not remotely a powerhouse, but gets the job done as designed and sips fuel doing it.

cucvrus

What type of bargains you looking for?
Any bargains depends on what I find. Like a picker. I managed to find a few things on the antique side of things. I did ditch the trailer up in northern PA. I was driving along at 60 MPH and it started snowing. It looked like dust on the road. I was going around a turn at 60 and felt the truck get squirrelly. Good thing for stabilitrack. I would have been wiping the guard rails a few times. I was 100 miles from home when I ditched the trailer and it took 4 hours to get home. The interstate looked like a scrap yard. wrecked vehicles every where and the snow was not plowed it was driving thru a plowed field of snow and ice. But come on 15 MPH with the 4 ways on. Park the vehicle if you are that scared. Today it hit 48* and I had about 200 lbs of slush and ice packed up under my Silverado.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any bargains depends on what I find. Like a picker. I managed to find a few things on the antique side of things. I did ditch the trailer up in northern PA. I was driving along at 60 MPH and it started snowing. It looked like dust on the road. I was going around a turn at 60 and felt the truck get squirrelly. Good thing for stabilitrack. I would have been wiping the guard rails a few times. I was 100 miles from home when I ditched the trailer and it took 4 hours to get home. The interstate looked like a scrap yard. wrecked vehicles every where and the snow was not plowed it was driving thru a plowed field of snow and ice. But come on 15 MPH with the 4 ways on. Park the vehicle if you are that scared. Today it hit 48* and I had about 200 lbs of slush and ice packed up under my Silverado.
Rick, next time you go to the "Antique Road Show" check the forecast first.

cucvrus

P1000118.jpgP1000117.jpg
Rick, next time you go to the "Antique Road Show" check the forecast first.
No it was all good. Still 2 days later and I am carrying the ice and snow buildup. Glad I went. When I am afraid to drive I will give up driving. The others on the road that drive at 15 with 4 ways are the real hazards. Snow and ice are predictable. Honda Civic's with bicycles on the roof need to park it. Big trucks were the worst perils on I 81. Crashed everywhere. Again. Instant replay of the 50 car crash on I 78 02/13/2016. Off topic. But still on task. Have a Great Day.

Merddin

I bought an 86 m1008 with 57k on it in December 17 for 2800$. IIbought locally off Facebook marketplace. If previous owner would have listed as 86 k30, it would have been long gone. Unfortunatel it was pink! The MO forest service had it and painted it red and it faded to pink. Had twelve holes in the roof from lights I have to seal. They are siliconed shut now , but I will epoxy them closed. Gen 2 was not working when I purchased but 85$ at the local starter shop fixed that. I had problems loosing fuel prime I initially when cold starting, but after changing fuel filter, and tightening 7 fuel hose clamps it is much better. Trying now to get truck ready to paint back to OD, with black bumpers and mirrors.

sandsock

I bought an 86 m1008 with 57k on it in December 17 for 2800$. IIbought locally off Facebook marketplace. If previous owner would have listed as 86 k30, it would have been long gone. Unfortunatel it was pink! The MO forest service had it and painted it red and it faded to pink. Had twelve holes in the roof from lights I have to seal. They are siliconed shut now , but I will epoxy them closed. Gen 2 was not working when I purchased but 85$ at the local starter shop fixed that. I had problems loosing fuel prime I initially when cold starting, but after changing fuel filter, and tightening 7 fuel hose clamps it is much better. Trying now to get truck ready to paint back to OD, with black bumpers and mirrors.
I bought mine for a bit less from the USFWS here in WA and instead of repainting they did a professional 12v conversion. Unfortunately there was a mice colony that had rusted a three inch diameter hole into the bottom of the heater blower box and this was compounded by not using the heater/defroster when they bypassed the heater core when it started leaking (giving the mice free reign to include chewing up the fan blades). Found a C10 at the local wrecking yard to fix the mice damage and a new heater core from Napa. Swapped the old tires of my Excursion, because the originals were dry rotted beyond imagination, and a couple more upgrades including batteries and I am still under three grand for a nostalgic tribute to the 1974 K20 that my dad let me drive in high school and the 1985 M1008 that I drove as a SSgt.

Have fun...a little paint and some TLC is a small price to pay for something that is more about the journey than the destination.

Last edited:

Merddin

My dad is in a military vehicle group and he had a buddy who paid 4k for a m1008 last year. I believe I could paint my truck and put it on Craigslist as a 86 k30 and get 4-5k. These squarebody Chevy's are hot right now. Nobody knows what a cucv is but they do know what a k30 is. I believe this is the key to promoting them for sale. I see rusted out squarebody on CL and FB marketplace asking 2500- 5000 for 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks with lots of rust and God knows how many miles. Of course asking and getting are two different things.
My dad has a 44 Willie's Jeep, a 53 Dodge m37, and a 84 m1008. I will try to post some pics on here

rodent

If I had the room in my driveway, I'd scoop this up. M1009 for $700!
clist link removed , site rule violation

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks