• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Value of Truck (M35A2)

cleb

Hello all,

I have been looking to buy a M35A2 for a while. I had a M211 a few years ago, but I sold it to one day buy a M35A2 ( I wanted a diesel truck, for many reasons). I am looking at a truck, with the following features/issues. Asking price is 6k.

What I know about it so far... I have not looked at the truck in person due to distance.

Pictures: http://defcon-3.net/gallery/album03 - Asked for more, sorry, those are the best I have ATM.

1977? M35A2 with a Continental Multifuel (Owner thinks its a -1C). Winch truck, Hard top cab, cab heater. Has brand new NDT's all around. Owner didn't tell me miles/hrs even though I requested it in the email :/ Owner states it was driven about 110 miles in '04, I assume when he purchased it.

Issues:

Blue smoke on start and I believe while running (dirty injectors?)
Sticks in 2nd gear slightly (What would cause this?)
"Pinched" right front brake line, owner states it makes the truck "Pull"
Owner stated rear hub seals need done, I assume gear oil on the brakes?
Surface rust on bumper, bottom of door jambs, and rust in bed, nothing that has gone all the way thru. Paint looks OK.

From what the owner has told me so far, It seems I would need to go through the entire rear end, and probably front. Not a bad thing to do, check brakes, replace seals, etc. I know its not worth 6k, just curious what you guys think. I have done similar work on my M211 and I am pretty mechanically inclined, so not an issue for me, just the time and cost of parts. I have gotten some part prices from OD Iron for the brake parts, and wheel seals/bearings. I assume this is a pretty decent estimate for what I will pay? Do the bearings usually need replaced as well?

Thanks for the help,

Caleb

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You failed to mention HOW far away this is. Even if it was a block away, for 6k with those problems, I would not look at it.

cleb

Google maps puts it at just under 100 miles and 2 ferry rides from my house. Also, there is no way I will pay 6k for it. I know with those problems its worth a lot less. If he is correct on the work that needs done, just the parts costs are adding up quickly!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck looks very nice to me. My thought is, however, that the guy is asking too much. A $6,000 M35A2 should be turn-key, ready to drive home...not a truck that needs work. If the truck were turn-key, I'd say $6K was fair for a really clean winch truck with heater, hard top, new tires and troop seats. Don't underestimate the tires...that is probably $1,500 of rubber there once you factor in the cost of mounting. I would say that $4,000-4,500 would be more fair as it sits.

cleb

There are some nice looking trucks at Lewis, but unless its just a "put new filters, fluids and battery" operation, I don't think I have the resources to snag a truck there. I posted in the Loadout/Inspection forum about the trucks there, but so far no replies.

If you are looking got a 71 General that has a cont multifuel in it 1d.I drive it up and down my 1.6 mile driveway and not afraid to drive it anywhere.But i live in Pa asking $3500 does not have winch or hard top.has heater and spring seat and the new style cargo cover new passenger door also.

cleb

1917: Thanks for the offer, but your a bit too far :/ If I wasn't in college, and diesel wasn't almost $4 a gallon, I would be tempted to head out there and drive back, but I need to try and find something more local (Seattle area).

ptq530c: Do you know what would cause such an issue? Gear/bearing problems, a part with sufface rust, etc?

Thanks,

Caleb

DanMartin

Joey has a deuce for sale (southern Oregon coast)...I think he wanted less. PM "Joey" here and see.

Also, consider idaho motor pool. Good guys out there and not too far (just enough of a drive to be an adventure from Seattle). They are good guys out there who go through their trucks before they sell them.

www.idahomotorpool.com

cleb

DanMartin: Thanks, I've been in contact with Joey, last I heard he was replacing a differential, I'll have to get back to him on the status of that. I've looked at Idaho Motor Pool, definately a nice lot of trucks, but a bit out of my price range.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like you know you can get this truck for less than the asking price. I hope it works out for you. Also, I wouldn't do any work on it till its yours. I have had friends do work to things and as soon as the problem is fixed, the price goes up. Not all people are like that, but alot are. Good luck.

fancyd

See my ad under deuce here. I have to sell one immediately and want only $2,500.00 mine only needs a fuel pump and a rag top over driver, one headlight and a small dent taken out of hood. Otherwise mine runs good and everything works well. Desert camo, dually real axles but tires need some help. My truck is in Socorro, NM just South of Albuquerque, NM (505) 240-2482
email d2bowman4570@yahoo.com

Racky

I think 6k is way to much for this truck.I looked at alot of trucks before I finally purchased mine from the Government Liquidation site @ Chambersburg PA for $1832.00 2 months ago.It is a 1974 M35a2c air shift front axle, spring seat, new tires,passenger comp heater, new insulated soft top,new troop cover, aluminum troop seats.24V solar battery charger.Left front fender hit that just adds character.I checked all fluid levels it even had 1/2 tank of diesel fuel.It started right up with the help of a jump.I made sure the brakes worked correctly which they did.Horn,lights & wipers all worked also.Didnt even need air in the tires.I drove the truck 206 miles to my home in Monmouth Junction NJ with no issues.The truck ran like a top and never missed a beat. Now I am just waiting for my SF97.I hope this helps and good luck.

Racky

ygmir

I second contacting Alex at Idaho Motor Pool.
I've bought a few trucks from him and been noting but happy..............

fancyd's truck sounds good if it were close or could be delivered, heck, I'd buy it if it were closer, etc.
I'm in northern CA
Maybe you could get him to put a pump in it and drive it to you......might still be cheaper than the one you're looking at.

anyway,

Good luck

DanMartin

cleb,

Remember...you get what you pay for. If you're set up for working on a large-ish truck and doing your own work, go ahead and get a lower priced one and party on! The lower priced trucks typically need more work than the higher-priced ones (not always, but this is mostly the case).

However...if you want a truck you can get in and drive with few worries, prepare to pay a bit more for one that has already had the work done. Also the newer model year trucks tend to have less wear and/or desirable upgrades (split braking systems, power steering add-ons, etc).

Basically it's "Pay me now or pay me later"...please think it through. I would hate to see someone get into a deuce for a "bargain" and get in over their head working on it to make it safe and/or reliable. If you have the means, go for a value and make up the difference in your own sweat/blood/tears/dollars, or get one you can get in and have fun with. I went with the latter when I bought my 88 from IMP (funny though...I still end up working on it a lot, but adding stuff like a winch and bigger tires).

Anyways...I wish you luck on whatever you decide. Hope to see you down here in PDX this August for the big MVPA convention!

cleb

DanMartin: If I had the money, I would buy a truck from IMP. Personally, I think $6500 is a bit much for a non winch M35A2. I could see that much for a turn key operation with a winch. I know IMP used to have trucks for ~$4500, not sure what happened to that. Guess costs for everything are going up. If I can find a truck locally that I can get home easily, I don't mind doing the work. I had a XM211 that I did the brakes/wheel seals/bearings on, and I put a bed on it. I figure if I buy a turn key operation, its going to be a good truck, but I'm not going to learn as much. I don't want to buy a disaster, but I like the idea of tearing into the truck, and learning as much as I can about it in the process, as well as knowing that everything is repaired to my high standards. I had a M1009 that I bought, and after a year of owning it replaced the injector pump, injectors, 8 swelled glow plugs, flex plate, starter, wheel bearings and seals, brakes, alternators, fuel pump, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, rocker arm asssembly, all sorts of things. I have been screwed by a mechanic one too many times. I do all my own work, and if I don't know how to do something, I learn. Thanks for the advice, I appriciate it, coming from someone who has gone down the road of buying one of these trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks