• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VETERANS DAY 2011 - Post HERE!

Bill W

Displayed at a local airpark today, I gave the ROTC and CAP kids a ride around the airfield with the deuce. I did learn a good lesson today, NEVER display within a 100' of where a Blackhawk helicoptor is gonna land, I've got frigging dirt/sand in places I didn't think possible., After it landed I took my flip phone out of my pocket to call the wife and when I opened it dirt fell out??!! Can't wait to do it again next year :-D

SteveKuhn

Lyons Veteran's Hospital, Lyons, NJ 11/12/11

Wrapped up the running around for the weekend by accompanying a small, donations-funded group that brings country western dancers, band, and DJ, hot dogs, cake, cookies & soda to the hospital for the afternoon. About an hour run out I-80 and down I-287 with their cars. NJ drivers positively HATE 45 mph MVs on the interstate except for the ones that like to blow their horns and wave for the Deuce.

Very small turnout for the truck because the whole thing wasn't well-publicized and they'd never had any MVs before. Nevertheless about 2 dozen guys who stopped by to talk or reminisce. Apparently a busload went to the NYC parade Friday and they were really impressed by the trucks. Joanne said we'd better keep an eye on the truck because unlike most places we go, most everybody there probably knew how to drive it.

Best part was leaving that area and cruising around the huge campus in low/2nd to the other side. There were 3 Vietnam era and 1 Korea era vets, wheelchair bound amputees. When they heard the whistling and snorting, we could see that they and their nurses took interest and got real animated, so we sorta pulled in to the building's driveway and passed a bit of time.

Quote of the day: "Boy, does that thing bring back HORRIBLE memories! :wink::smile: Did a convoy from VA to NC once. 100 trucks left and we dropped 20 of them broken down on the side of the road. The ones that were running kept gettin' to the end, dropping their guys, and goin back for the others."

If I go next year and the weather is good again I'm gonna see if we can get permission, get the word out and I'll bet I fill the troop seats a few times. Takes about 15 mins to drive around the place and the campus is gorgeous. Golf course the whole way down 1 side.

The banner reads: "Miles of Smiles - Veterans Country Dance Fund."

Attachments

Last edited:

ODDBALL007

Here are some pics of my.m818 towing a 40 mm gun. I towed this gun with 3 Vietnam veterans operating the gun through the Deland veterans day parade. The boat behind the truck is a 1962 PT3 boat which is 80 feet long. They are in middle of restore on it

Ripcord01

One of the reasons I dislike living in MD. Ther for some reason are no parades or such. A few years ago there used to be a parade of thanks that was sponsored by the Fire depts and my old police unit. I guess the county don't care to spend pur money wisely..

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the Photo Bucket link for 55 pics of the Veterans Ceremony at Fairmount Cemetery, San Angelo, TX on Friday.

http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv112/jebariou/20101111%20VetsDay-FairmountCemetery-SanAngeloTX/

The ARK once again stood sentry duty on the grounds.
The Historic Fort Conch Cannoneers and riflemen along with a bagpiper and trumpeteer provided appropriate salutes.
Members of the VFW and Civil Air Patrol also attended.

Additionally, there are a couple of videos that I'll post up soon.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the Photo Bucket link for 55 pics of the Veterans Ceremony at Fairmount Cemetery, San Angelo, TX on Friday.

http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv112/jebariou/20101111 VetsDay-FairmountCemetery-SanAngeloTX/

The ARK once again stood sentry duty on the grounds.
The Historic Fort Conch Cannoneers and riflemen along with a bagpiper and trumpeteer provided appropriate salutes.
Members of the VFW and Civil Air Patrol also attended.

Additionally, there are a couple of videos that I'll post up soon.

OK, my videos are too big to upload I guess. I'll have to find a work-around ---- maybe photobucket for them too... although this will be a virgin experience with doing that <sigh>

No.2Diesel

NYC Veteran's Day Parade

Hi,

Here is my little photo essay of the day:

For the parade this year we were again happy to help out the IAVA as well as transport MVs for the Airpower Museum for use by another Vet's organization. This required more MVs as well as being in two places at once but with the help of friends and prior planning the days operations went without a hitch.

We loaded up at the museum the night before. Loading was more time consuming as we were loading and securing two MVs, the Ferret being backed on to maximize space. We weren't sure how well turning and backing the Ferret in the middle of the street after the parade would go due to the usual chaos that takes place. I've transported the Ferret before so I knew that the Brits don't have the same standard tie down points. It has tiny loops welded to the hull that a 3/8" chain hook can't fit through. D-ring shackles were required. I didn't want to go through the control arms. The M20 was more straight forward.

So friday morning we departed at about 06:20 and took the Williamsburg bridge in (and out) to save on tolls $$. Arrived and double-parked at the IAVA's midtown offices at 08:00 to load up 100+ cases of beer for their after party. We then headed down to the parade staging area in the Flatiron district which also happened to be the same location where the beer was to go. Offloading of beer and MVs went well. We ferried the two a couple blocks down to where they were supposed to be. It was fun operating the Ferret and M20 in traffic. We hit em' with the siren (pedestrians, taxis) but they could care less.

The weather was nice and cool but breezy. I Conversed and listened to many different Vet's experiences from many different eras and countries. Security was noticeably higher due to the many VIPS attending. A gentleman even came all the way from Georgia with an M818 and a modified M127. He turned it into a lowboy of sorts to carry a scaled model of the Statue of Liberty with working propane torch. The parade went without a hitch as did the load up afterwards despite pedestrians trying to walk between vehicles/trailer etc. haha.

The ride home was smooth and uneventful and the load never moved.

Enjoy these pictures of the days events.

Attachments

denubilo

Reagan Library California

This year was the 15th year we placed Civil War and WWII displays on the lawn at the Reagan Library in Simi VAlley Cal.
We have tried to get more Military displays but all clubs in the area have theri own sites and parades to support.
They had about 3 thousand visitors to the outdoor and indoor program.
And we did not get rained on!
Just a little tomfullery with the 1943 International M-2-4 trying to pull the Seabee truck

Attachments

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few photos from before the Mesa, AZ Veteran's Day Parade.

I was too busy parade-ing during the parade to take more photos. That, and my camera stopped working for some reason.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We did the Austin Veterans Day parade on the morning of the 11th. The weather was beautiful, started out around 32* on the drive down (I looked like Rudolph the Red-Nosed V Driver when we arrived!), warmed up to around 50* almost as soon as the sun came up.

I had invited Baseballump and a Vietnam V100 buddy of his to ride with me, but they couldn't make it down. Maybe next year!

I spent most of my pre-parade time talking to passersby about the V, so I didn't get many pictures. We (Lone Star MVPA) mustered 22 vehicles for the parade. We were hoping to beat last years 24 but we had a few technical-difficulty no-shows, and a medical excuse.

Cheers

1- In Round Rock on the way to the parade
2- Arriving on the Congress Ave bridge
3- Downtown Austin as viewed from a V turret
4, 5- Parading, Mitch driving my M1009
6- Cool reflection picture!
7- Sarge's M915/M871 combo. He gets the prize for sheer bulk!
8- One of the other participants.

Pics 2-6 courtesy of Scott Strance, used with permission. He volunteered to be my turret man when his M38A1 declined to start.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks