• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIC-1 Installed....AWESOME!

mbarber84

Hey all,

Had a free day today so I decided it was time to work on the deuce.

Installed my VIC-1 intercom kit and I am totally impressed. It was well worth the purchase price and effort. For anyone seriously considering the VIC-1 as a future mod for their truck, I would encourage you to do so! The system provides some level of hearing protection during high speed / on-road driving, and the intercom feature is as practical as it is cool!!!

My local deuce buddies are all scrambling to get their hands on these devices!

So far I have completed:

Cleaned inside and out
Greased Points
Adjusted Parking brake
Installed Alcohol Evaporator
Re-plumbed Heater / Coolant Lines
Installed VIC-1 Intercom

This hobby is really going to break the bank, but its soooo much fun!!

Thanks for all the help and input gang!

(hmmm....now to look at winch kits.......:grin:)

And yesss........I`ll try to get some pics posted of the upgrades

mbarber84

the VIC-1 is a military system. I am not an expert on these by any means, but from my understanding, they were originally used in armored vehicles such as tanks and APC's, so that the crew members could communicate back and forth to increase their efficiency. The VIC-1 is first generation stuff, Vietnam era I believe. Very durable, water tight construction. The system is very easy to install, provided that you have all the required parts. I found mine on Ebay, and I believe there are members here who sell these devices. I got most of my help from Bjorn (cranetruck). He is very knowledgeable about these systems, and has published an article in MV magazine which explains the whole system and installation in detail!

If you have other questions, I would be happy to answer them if I can! If you punch in VIC-1 in the search you should get several posts on the system which should explain it much better. :-D

Armada

Since Matt hasn't posted any pics yet.... hint, hint, :wink:, heres a pic of the setup I had in my deuce. The vic-1 is now going in my 818. There are 'civilian' systems that will get the job done, but for authenticity these can't be beat. They really do work well. A 'must' for long road trips.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I started laying out my VIC-1 for install today. I didn't get much done other than pulling the bezel ring off and running the cable to the battery and up to the surge suppressor (MX7777) and basically looked at how I was positioning everything. I wanted the 2298 boxes accessible so I will be mounting them in the corner of the cab. I actually found a bracket that will fit beautifully in the corner and will take the 2298 box. I couldn't believe my luck.

I didn;t have a 1029 mount handy so I will have to get it cause I will probably be putting a 524 in it. Considering the wide options of antenna mount locations. I will definately go with the shakespear antenna.

Will give more of an update later.

Boatcarpenter

CARNAC,
I wanted my box to be readily accessible, so I made up a bracket and put it under the dash. Have an extension cable for the headset so I can wear it while driving or be out of the truck on the pass side to operate the radio which is mounted under the seat. Didn't want to lose the bench seat and mount it between the seats. I tucked one box in the corner by the passengers elbow and the third box by drivers right elbow. I have a 15 or 20 foot cable for that headset so someone in the back of the truck can be in communication with driver during parades and so forth.
Not suggesting anything, just pointing out possibilities:-D
BC

Attachments

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
CARNAC,
I wanted my box to be readily accessible, so I made up a bracket and put it under the dash. Have an extension cable for the headset so I can wear it while driving or be out of the truck on the pass side to operate the radio which is mounted under the seat. Didn't want to lose the bench seat and mount it between the seats. I tucked one box in the corner by the passengers elbow and the third box by drivers right elbow. I have a 15 or 20 foot cable for that headset so someone in the back of the truck can be in communication with driver during parades and so forth.
Not suggesting anything, just pointing out possibilities:-D
BC

Your photo's are right on what I was laying out except I have an old commo bracket of some type that is allowing me to mount a 2298 either above or below or both above and below the cab metal edge. I was looking at that on one side for the center seat. I using a similar bracket in the back to mount a 2298 in the front portion of the bed and another in the back passenger side so dismount can do ground guide either mounted or dismounted with a long cord.

Gotta figure out how to mount my smoke mortars and CROWS. LOL

mbarber84

I'm working on pictures guys, didn't get a chance today, too much other stuff to do.

I have to teach the kiddies Monday-Wednesday, then I'm flying out to Breda Iowa to pick up my fire departments new Rescue Engine...

I will get pics of all my current mods and post them in a week or so. Thanks for all the input thus far!!

mbarber84

Matt,

If you want to get one, I would be more than happy to help you figure out what all you need, where to buy, and I will help you put the whole system in your truck if we can somehow get together somewhere someday. I owe you and your dad a favor for looking over my truck at GL earlier this year. Plus it would give me a chance to meet up and actually meet you guys in person! Maybe we can make this a summer plan. Just for your information, I have less than $400 in my setup, and it works flawlessly....really cool mod.

Let me know what you think! BTW, tell your dad hello, I haven't had a chance to say hello myself....

Matt B

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a reminder, the VIC-1 system is not reverse polarity protected and damage will be done to it if hook-up to the battery isn't correct. Use the MX-7777 suppressor as shown in TM's. Also get one of these "Radio Off" labels from Gary Berg (polverone).

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARNAC, let me know if you find a source for the CX-10613 cable, the one from the batteries to MX-7777 input. I'll need one for the 8x8 truck....
TIA

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks