• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIC-3 whistling noise with Engine rpm

engele

Hi,
i have a VIC-3 full station in my Humvee.
i have a whistling Noise in my headset depending the rpm of the Engine.
only in Live, VOX or PTT if the PTT is on.

anyone have the Same issue? I think its Not normal.
greetings

milradioman

Sounds like alternator whine, which may be a defective alternator, (bad diode?) it may charge ok, but still cause the whine.
Where is the power connected?
Check grounding location(s)
You could install a filter, but better to eliminate the source of the interference.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have that same sound in my M813's VIC-1; kinda sounds like the truck has a turbo. Would a filter simply wire inline with the positive cable for the 1780 amplifier?

Augi

Try improving the grounding. I ran a big flat ground braid from one of the feet of the main control box back to the battery and it reduced the whine significantly.

Augi

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you say "main control box" are you talking about the truck's PCB or the AM-1780?

Augi

I'm talking about the CD-82 for the VIC-3. You can try the same with the AM-1780. Remove the paint where you attach the ground strap.

Augi

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would help a lot since, after looking back, my 1780 has rubber spacers between it and its panel...
20190509_164313.jpg

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've tested the vic-3 on a bench power supply...and had a whine when only positive and negative were hooked up...then I grounded the main control box to the chassis ground wing nut on bench supply....no more whine.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Side note: I added a 6 gauge ground cable back to the battery and that cured the whine in my VIC-1.

20211019_170702.jpg

RJTM998

Side note: I added a 6 gauge ground cable back to the battery and that cured the whine in my VIC-1.

View attachment 848451

I tried this and it didnt work. I have been chasing this whine thing for almost a year. I was hopeful this would fix it. I have installed a filter that helped a little, I have grounded to different positions from the battery, the shunt, the engine block, and still no luck. At this point I am guessing a bad diode in the altenator.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW...I ran my ground cable from the AM-1870 attaching bolt (1 of the 4) to the same battery ground terminal that the AM-1870 power cable was wired to.

RJTM998

FWIW...I ran my ground cable from the AM-1870 attaching bolt (1 of the 4) to the same battery ground terminal that the AM-1870 power cable was wired to.
I put both grounds to the shunt. Not sure if moving both to the battery will help but may try that. What's weird about mine is it is worse sometimes than other times.

RJTM998

RJTM998

I figured out the alternator whine. When I mounted the crew boxes I screwed them into the wood on the tunnel but got into the actual metal floor and caused a ground loop. For those with this problem check your mounting points. Once I removed the screw that was touching the tunnel through the wood it went away. You might need to insulate your mounting points so no metal to metal contact.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks