• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIC to Cellphone Adapter and Military Radio Digital Modes Adapter

CommoChief

Augi...or anyone, has there been an upgrade to accept a phone such as the Apple IPhone that does not have a 3.5mm audio plug? The Apple has the usb style plug.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are adapters for lightning cable to 3.5 mm (iPhone to 3.5 mm). This is what I use. Beware, the cheap Chicom adapters are hit and miss. Buy quality.

They make a Bluetooth with 3.5 mm plug. Amazon has one for $15.99, which is $1 less than buying a lightning cable adapter ... go figure.

That seems pretty handy. I have not tested it, but looks promising.

Attachments

Last edited:

Augi

Hi All,

I'm happy to announce that I've got another round of boxes complete and ready for sale!

It's been about 3 years since I made the last run and unfortunately my costs have gone up. That means I need to charge $120 + $15 for USPS flat rate shipping. However I can fit several adapters into a single shipping box.

If you want one please send me a PM with your name and address and I'll respond with details on how to pay. I'll gather people's info for about two weeks and then I'll ship them all out at once.

Thanks,
Augi

CommoChief

Hi All,

I'm happy to announce that I've got another round of boxes complete and ready for sale!

It's been about 3 years since I made the last run and unfortunately my costs have gone up. That means I need to charge $120 + $15 for USPS flat rate shipping. However I can fit several adapters into a single shipping box.

If you want one please send me a PM with your name and address and I'll respond with details on how to pay. I'll gather people's info for about two weeks and then I'll ship them all out at once.

Thanks,
Augi
Augi,

In your post #40 it sounds as though your adapter will not work with the Vic-1 if a radio is attached. I have an RT-524 / Vic-1 set-up. Has there been any updates to this since post #40..?

Thanks in advance...Bill

Augi

Hi Bill,

You are correct, you will not get the full functionality. It's a limitation of the VIC 1 system and my adapter box.

With a VIC 3 it works fine along side the radio.

Augi

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Totally worth it. Rolling down the highway in a five ton, carrying on a conversation on the phone. I usually can’t understand anything if there is noise around. I have no problem with this setup.

JCKnife

This is pretty interesting but any chance of making one that uses bluetooth instead of the headphone jack cable?

Wire Fox

This is pretty interesting but any chance of making one that uses bluetooth instead of the headphone jack cable?
A device similar to this one would be the easiest way to make it happen. It's just a dummy device to bridge the 3.5mm audio jack to a paired bluetooth device, like a cell phone. https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Microphone-Streaming-Headphone/dp/B07NXX3G22/

Edit: But the reviews on that specific device are terrible. Buy something nicer that does the same job, fits your budget, and works for you.

dugies73

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do another run I am certainly interested, very few posts as I am new.... but have been doing A LOT of reading! sent a PM too.

Augi

I have a new box in the works with bluetooth...

Check it out here:

Arctic Commander

Hi All,

Is anyone interested in connecting their cellphones to to their VIC-1 or VIC-3 systems?

For my own use I've designed and built a transformer isolated impedance matching box that allows me to connect my phone to any of the radio ports on the VIC-1 or VIC-3 systems. The VIC treats the phone as a radio so anyone on the intercom system can hear audio from the phone or key their PTT to talk out (if their crew box has permissions).

I listen to music, GPS directions and make phone calls on the road in the HMMWV through my VIC-3 headset.

If there is interest I will make a small run and sell them. I've done a professional job with a mix of surface mount and through hole components on a custom manufactured PCB in an IP67 rated enclosure.

They are plug-and-play with a standard 18-pin audio connector for interface with the VIC system and a standard TRRS headphone jack for interface with the phone.

I wasn't planning on selling these but a couple of guys asked for them. Unfortunately it's not worth it to just make two.

Price would be $100 each + shipping.

They will all be hand made by me in California and take maybe a month to complete once I place orders for parts.

I've also built an isolation transformer box to connect my PRC-104 (or any other military radio) to the Mic and Headphones ports of any computer and allows the use of digital modes with fldigi or other appropriate PC software.

This box has a U229 connector for interface to the radio and a pair of TRS audio jacks for interface to the computer. It also automatically keys the radio using a 1000hz tone in the right audio channel generated by fldigi.

It's similar construction to the above box, but has more and more expensive components, so the price would be $140 + shipping.

I've attached a picture of one of my prototypes. The final product would be very similar but omit the expensive Amphenol connector on the phone/computer side.

Augi

View attachment 678978
Hi All,

Is anyone interested in connecting their cellphones to to their VIC-1 or VIC-3 systems?

For my own use I've designed and built a transformer isolated impedance matching box that allows me to connect my phone to any of the radio ports on the VIC-1 or VIC-3 systems. The VIC treats the phone as a radio so anyone on the intercom system can hear audio from the phone or key their PTT to talk out (if their crew box has permissions).

I listen to music, GPS directions and make phone calls on the road in the HMMWV through my VIC-3 headset.

If there is interest I will make a small run and sell them. I've done a professional job with a mix of surface mount and through hole components on a custom manufactured PCB in an IP67 rated enclosure.

They are plug-and-play with a standard 18-pin audio connector for interface with the VIC system and a standard TRRS headphone jack for interface with the phone.

I wasn't planning on selling these but a couple of guys asked for them. Unfortunately it's not worth it to just make two.

They will all be hand made by me in California and take maybe a month to complete once I place orders for parts.

I've also built an isolation transformer box to connect my PRC-104 (or any other military radio) to the Mic and Headphones ports of any computer and allows the use of digital modes with fldigi or other appropriate PC software.

This box has a U229 connector for interface to the radio and a pair of TRS audio jacks for interface to the computer. It also automatically keys the radio using a 1000hz tone in the right audio channel generated by fldigi.

It's similar construction to the above box, but has more and more expensive components, so the price would be $140 + shipping.

I've attached a picture of one of my prototypes. The final product would be very similar but omit the expensive Amphenol connector on the phone/computer side.

Augi

View attachment 678978
I’ll take one - VIC 1
Hi All,

Augi

View attachment 678978
I’ll take one VIC-1...just let me know the details of shipping, payment, etc.

dugies73

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Responded in the Comms channel, but would be interested in two for Vic 3. Let me know the details of shipping, payment, etc

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks