• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Virginia State Inspections

Navo

I have a M35A3 and it has normal tags on it. Anyone have any info for the state inspection? Like what they are looking for etc?

Thanks

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The normal stuff, wipers, lights, brakes, tie rod ends and ball joints, horn. Mostly safety related stuff. Because the truck has air brakes, though, you might have to have it inspected at a truck shop, regardless of whether you have it titled as a commercial vehicle or not (you probably don't). Most car/light truck places won't take the big trucks for inspections.

VA state is pretty easy to pass inspection in. Well, everything's relative, I originally hail from New Jersey, so it's pretty easy here compared with there.

Navo

All the lights work- Tail lights, headlights, signals, marker lights, even the black out light! Wipers work, horn works, stops fine, air buzzer/light work, and the parking brake works.

Am I missing anything?

hoop

Might get picky about license plate light..Take a flashlight and duct tape with you..

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Under VA state law, they will pull one wheel per axle, their random choice which. So half of your wheels are coming off.

AceHigh

Maybe you can talk them in to just checking the parking brake shoes- they are exposed and easy. Also check the license plate light, I can't for the life of me remember if I removed the masking tape! It works though.

Navo

Maybe you can talk them in to just checking the parking brake shoes- they are exposed and easy. Also check the license plate light, I can't for the life of me remember if I removed the masking tape! It works though.
HAHAHA! The tape was left on :) But, it does work! Im having a blast with the truck! Driven it everyday so far!

hoop

It is under 20000LBS, so all inspections stations are required to inspect it.

dikwks

If you already have a place where you go regularly, talk to them first. They might be satisfied with just looking through the inspection port for the brakes.
Feel them out first, if you pressure them by just showing up, and "demanding" your inspection, they may just give it to you.

Rick (a former inspector)

Navo

The local shop and I have a great relationship with our normal vehicles. And if all State Inspection places are suppose to do 20,000lbs and below. I would say that they would most likely me able to do my truck. I just didnt know about the 20,000lb rule.

I"ll call them tomorrow.

L1A1

When I'd get my M151A2s inspected, I'd have to show the mechanics how to start the vehicle and how the light switch works :).

From what they've told me, they inspect the vehicle for what it should have had on it from the factory for that model year. My original M151A2 was titled as a 1971 model and didn't require seatbelts (none were on there) but did require a rear license plate light (had to fab' one up). My current M151A2 is titled as a 1972 so not only do I need the rear license plate light, I also needed lap belts for all seats in the vehicle (had to add those).

Matt

Navo

When I'd get my M151A2s inspected, I'd have to show the mechanics how to start the vehicle and how the light switch works :).

From what they've told me, they inspect the vehicle for what it should have had on it from the factory for that model year. My original M151A2 was titled as a 1971 model and didn't require seatbelts (none were on there) but did require a rear license plate light (had to fab' one up). My current M151A2 is titled as a 1972 so not only do I need the rear license plate light, I also needed lap belts for all seats in the vehicle (had to add those).

Matt
Haha! Yea I figured I would be showing them how to "run" things. and I do have seatbelts, thanks USA!

Nonotagain

Your going to have all of the lights checked, (also the transmission shifter indicator lamp) tire condition and tread depth, lug nuts all present, no leaking shocks, front end tight, no broken or clouded glass, all door handles operational, window cranks functional. And you'll be required to have a tag lamp.

Seats require seat belts, which for an A3 means shoulder belts for driver and outside passenger.

I'd suggest removing the IR light from the front as most mechanics have no clue on its operation and will fail the vehicle if it appears non-functional.

The wheels will get pulled, one per axle, drums measured as well as the lining thickness. No leaking wheel cylinders or wheel seals. Parking brake operational and properly adjusted and capable of holding the vehicle.

No exhaust leaks.

No body perforations due to rust.

If I recall correctly the cost for a single rear axle truck inspection should run you about 2-3 hrs labor at shop rate. A tandem axle truck will be close to 5 hrs labor.

Woodsplinter

Navo, why don't you just contact the agency that does the inspections and ask them? I would think they would be the best source of accurate information.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks