• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wait to start light

bryab123

what controls the wait to start light on my m1008? my light doesnt stay on as long as it should. i have found out the truck starts better if i wait about 5-10 seconts after the light goes out. i would like to fix the light to stay on longer

tourdog

The best thing to do is like I did is put a small little light on the glow plug side of relay so when the relay itself shuts off thats when i try to start the truck .I always always cycle twice maybe thee times in real cold weather starts every time .

mangus580

If your truck wont start when the wait light goes off, your GP system is not up to snuff. I would suspect like jwaller says... you have failed plugs.

I have never had to wait any longer than the light (routinely dont even wait that long) even in 5 degree weather.

Certainly have never had to cycle them twice.

lavarok

I too am curious what controls the actual "ON" time. I have one '86 m1009 where the light is on for maybe 3 secs and a 2nd '86 m1009 where the light stays on for 8-10. Is it time controlled in the GP circuit board or is there a sensor reading that determines when it shuts off or cycles?

Inquiring minds want to know!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A look at the Glow Plug Schematic, will show you that there is a "voltage sense wire" supplied to the GP controller card.

lavarok

Does anyone have the schematic for the card itself? I seem to recall seeing it somewhere, but can not find it now aua
That will clear up my question pronto.

1stDeuce

I don't pay much attention to the light... I use the volt meter as my indication for when to crank... When the needle pops up (and you can hear the relay kick out) I crank. The light in my truck wants me to wait a few more seconds, but w/o voltage hitting them, the glows are cooling during that time, so it doesn't make sense to me. You can see them cycle via the voltage...
C