• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wait to start light

bryab123

what controls the wait to start light on my m1008? my light doesnt stay on as long as it should. i have found out the truck starts better if i wait about 5-10 seconts after the light goes out. i would like to fix the light to stay on longer

tourdog

The best thing to do is like I did is put a small little light on the glow plug side of relay so when the relay itself shuts off thats when i try to start the truck .I always always cycle twice maybe thee times in real cold weather starts every time .

mangus580

If your truck wont start when the wait light goes off, your GP system is not up to snuff. I would suspect like jwaller says... you have failed plugs.

I have never had to wait any longer than the light (routinely dont even wait that long) even in 5 degree weather.

Certainly have never had to cycle them twice.

lavarok

I too am curious what controls the actual "ON" time. I have one '86 m1009 where the light is on for maybe 3 secs and a 2nd '86 m1009 where the light stays on for 8-10. Is it time controlled in the GP circuit board or is there a sensor reading that determines when it shuts off or cycles?

Inquiring minds want to know!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A look at the Glow Plug Schematic, will show you that there is a "voltage sense wire" supplied to the GP controller card.

lavarok

Does anyone have the schematic for the card itself? I seem to recall seeing it somewhere, but can not find it now aua
That will clear up my question pronto.

1stDeuce

I don't pay much attention to the light... I use the volt meter as my indication for when to crank... When the needle pops up (and you can hear the relay kick out) I crank. The light in my truck wants me to wait a few more seconds, but w/o voltage hitting them, the glows are cooling during that time, so it doesn't make sense to me. You can see them cycle via the voltage...
C

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks