• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

waiting for the tow truck

Crash_AF

That's a replacement pintle/ball hook, and one of the better ones too. Not factory, but more useful than the standard hook if you're not heavy off road where the pintle needs to rotate like the military version.

Later,
Joe

watkinssr

That's a replacement pintle/ball hook, and one of the better ones too. Not factory, but more useful than the standard hook if you're not heavy off road where the pintle needs to rotate like the military version.

Later,
Joe
I'm pretty happy about it, I would probably have wound up buying one, as I occasionally want to pull a trailer.

Crash_AF

My 1008 had a busted starter bolt when I got it. So I tried to drill it and failed, but stopped before I got into the block, and paid a shop $160 to do it for me. Best money I ever spent on the truck... LOL

Did you buy the AC Delco bolts from GM? If not, my recommendation is to take them back and get the Delco ones because they're only about $4 each and are the right part for the job.

Later,
Joe

watkinssr

Yep, I went the cheby dealer and got them.

I grew up working on old cars and I"ve drilled/helicoiled many a bolt hole. I will not let this beat me. I'm determined to drive it today.

K9Vic

Interesting, I looked at that in January at the guys dealership and passed on it do to the starter and it stalled when placed in gear. Did he tell you about that problem with it running, but when putting it in gear it stalls out?

Any help you need with your truck let me know as I am in east Fort Worth in the Mid-Cities.

Here is my post about the rear windows sliding glass.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/46429-m1009-blazer-side-window-sliding-glass.html

watkinssr

Interesting, I looked at that in January at the guys dealership and passed on it do to the starter and it stalled when placed in gear. Did he tell you about that problem with it running, but when putting it in gear it stalls out?

Any help you need with your truck let me know as I am in east Fort Worth in the Mid-Cities.

Here is my post about the rear windows sliding glass.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/46429-m1009-blazer-side-window-sliding-glass.html
wow, no, he didn't say anything about it. How did it run it with the starter like that?

K9Vic

He just told me about that, never hear it run as the starter bolts were out of it when I looked at it. It may have been the other one he had that was sold, but I think it was the one you got. So just look out for that when you get the starter issue fixed.

watkinssr

Yeah, he told me he had severl of them, and this one he never started because of the starter issue. I cant see any way this thing has run. he left the starter bolts he was using in the back, three brand new ones, one of them broken off. They were all American thread, and all grade 5 new shiny bolts...wrong length even.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is he got it with no starter and his mechanic there just put a new starter up there and tried to run the wrong bolts in with an impact.

I'm having **** getting this bolt out, but haven't given up yet. Me and a friend have been working on it every time the rain lets up enough to get out there.

I'll move on to other poblems after that.

K9Vic

Is it the correct 24volt starter?

Well, get the starter issue fixed and then go from there. If you need batteries I can give you the part number from O'Reilly for ones that will work for these trucks.

watkinssr

Is it the correct 24volt starter?

Well, get the starter issue fixed and then go from there. If you need batteries I can give you the part number from O'Reilly for ones that will work for these trucks.
Yeah, suprised the **** out of me, but it was a 24 volt starter.

The batterys appear to be good, but of course I wont know until I put the spurs to her. , thanks for the help, If I could get that part number anyway, I would be grateful. Even if these are good, who knows how good.

The broken off bolt is now removed, and the hole drilled for a helicoil. we wound up getting a die grinder after it, and cutting out the bolt with one of the round burr bits. This was an epic battle, but I think we have it beat.

I really love this site, just so much info on here.

linx310

Can't wait to see if you get it running. I was looking at that same one on CL but it was to far for me to get.

watkinssr

ugh....

Both batteries toast, so expensive trip to oreillys. Got two strong batteries in there, it's spinning over nice and fast. Got voltage to the glow plugs, cracked all the injectors so fuel is getting to the injectors. Still no start.

Ideas?

K9Vic

Check to make sure the pink wire is hooked up to the Injector Pump, just a hunch as I have seen this done before to disable it from starting.

If that is not it, then it can be many things. My 1985 M1010 cranks over, but does not start anymore. It does on my about 3 months ago and never got it fixed, but I am thinking the injector pump is no good. I am no expert, but if you are working on it tomorrow I am free in the afternoon.

Attachments

watkinssr

Check to make sure the pink wire is hooked up to the Injector Pump, just a hunch as I have seen this done before to disable it from starting.

If that is not it, then it can be many things. My 1985 M1010 cranks over, but does not start anymore. It does on my about 3 months ago and never got it fixed, but I am thinking the injector pump is no good. I am no expert, but if you are working on it tomorrow I am free in the afternoon.
Yeah, checked the pink wire and when I pull it, it clicks. I'm getting fuel to the injectors...so close...lol

I'll give you a call tomorrow, we are definately working on it. Thanks man.

linx310

Could there be a faulty safety switch or fuse cutting it out?

That could be why the one that was described earlier in the thread would die when put into gear. I have seen this happen in other vehicles that have faulty safety switches.

For example telling the engine its not in park, a door is open, or that it is already in gear when none of these conditions would exist and it would kill the engine.

Or if its a bad fuse or relay when it gets hot (from cranking) it works for a small amount of time and then overheats cutting some thing out.

Of course I am no expert with these things and I am not even sure if there is a safety switch.

Also did you try cheating with some starter fluid?

Last edited: