• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

waiting for the tow truck

Crash_AF

Yea, if the fuel pump checks out, that's the next likely culprit. But given that the previous owner described both hot and cold starting problems, the first thing I suspect is the fuel pump.

Oh, and the problem you describe is usually the fuel pressure sensor in the filter block.

Later,
Joe

Crash_AF

Yep, but be careful bypassing the filter if you don't know the condition of the fuel in the tank. I'd get one of those cheap inline filters for the test and just use it to join the inlet and outlet lines.

If that does turn out to be the problem, this website has the filter assemblies (the entire thing that bolts to the firewall) for $55. The site is in alphabetical order so scroll down to fuel filter.
Chevrolet Car Parts Surplus

Later,
Joe

watkinssr

lol....after much profanity and standing in the rain, the new few pump is in...and the starter is now screwing up. HIt the key, the motor turns over, starter makes horrible noise, motor stops spining, then continue, wash, and repeat.

So, pulling the starter...again...in the morning.

WOOHOO....

Crash_AF

Yea, I hear ya on the fuel pump... At least you don't have a Banks kit on it, changing the pump on my Sub was a real :soapbox:...

Hopefully you didn't chew up the flexplate too badly.

Later,
Joe

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One man's problem is another man's nightmare........:p

I'll give ya $500 for it....LOL

Just keep plugging away and you will finally get it finished...

watkinssr

One man's problem is another man's nightmare........:p

I'll give ya $500 for it....LOL

Just keep plugging away and you will finally get it finished...
Got to much into it now to give up..

Ok, pulled the starter and drive gears were mangled. Well ****..

So off to Fort Worth Generator and Starter. I talked to Molly, the counter godess, and asked her what I should do, other than sell it and start taking the bus everywhere.

She said they could fix it, but it would be 8 days. At this point, since my car bit it, this is the closest thing to a running vehicle I have, other than my wifes jeep. Ever see a 6'6" tall 400 pound American Indian try to drive a Jeep TJ? it isn't pretty, and violates severl laws of physics. I asked her if it was something I could myself, and she handed me the new drive gear assembly. and pointed out that I really should replace the nose of it, but she was out of them. I endevored to perservere.

We stopped by the cheby house and got a bracket...it's a gear reduction 24v starter, and then went home and took it apart.

These things come apart suprisingly easy....way too easy....especially the brush end which you don't actually want to come apart. within a few minutes I had the guts spread out all over my tailgate trying to figure out how to get the drive gear off the main shaft of the thing. I stoped short of using a hammer.

I tried to call Molly at home (I screw up a lot of car stuff so I keep her number on my cell phone) but she didn't answer.

Luckily, Delco-Remy has the manual to the gear reduction starter HERE:

http://www.delcoremy.com/pdfs/service_manuals/current/1M-128.pdf

and it explained to to get it off you are supposed to use a hammer. You drive back the pinion stop and then pry the little jesus clip back out, the somehow get it all off the shaft. It also said you were supposed to mark the housing so that it could go back togeather the same way it came apart. Sigh....

I finally got the stop off (all the blood from my fingers helped lubricate it) and got gear changed out -- this is where the manual says to install a new stop and jesus clip. I didn't have one, so I put the old one back on. The clip was pretty well sprung by this pint so I had to use a little pic to get it to slide under the stop but the starter is now back togeather and ready to install, and molly finally got back to me and said there is a small chance that if I didn't get the body aligned right it will spin backwards.

Finally got the starter installed, motor spins good and fast and tries to run as long as the starter is spinning. As soon as I let off though, it dies....letting the start cool down for a bit.

watkinssr

update. Got out there, and fired it off...right started, sounded great, for about 3 seconds. Then it just shut off, and wont start again. Down for the night, will try again tomorrow. Has anyone tried just putting a bunch of money in a blender and dumping it down the intake?

watkinssr

Did you bleed the fuel filter after changing the lift pump?

Have you tried pushing it in 2Hi yet to see if the trans is locked up?

Later,
Joe
Yep and yep.

good fuel coming out of the vent on the fuel filter, and it will push in 2hi

Tomorrow I'm going to bleed all the injectors, again,

watkinssr

Ok, bled all the injector lines, started it up with just a hint of starting fluid and let it get warmed up. It would re-start, but just barely....once it got running, it ran good but wouldnt idle.

Screwed the idle speed screw all the way in to keep it running and let it run for a while. Put it in reverse with my foot on the brake and it squeeled the tires then died. '

Now the starter is making grinding noises again. Joy.

choll

Once you get it running it will be worth it. There is something about driving one, I use my 1009 more than I use my 2006 Daytona Charger.