• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Walker 21470 Muffler install

Blendmaster2002

Installed a Walker 21470 muffler today on my m36a2, multifuel with D turbo. After reading the muffler threads on here, I narrowed it down to either the Walker 21470 or the Donaldson M070028. I decided to go with the Walker 21470. Parts required for this set up also include two 3 ½” exhaust clamps and approx. 2ft of 1 ½”x1/8” flat stock, Me and my Dad did this today and started a to swap on a hard top, I took pics when I could. Measuring from the fender, facing the truck, at centerline the stack was cut off 8” then later after the weld on the muffler interfered with the mount straps another ½” was removed to lower the muffler, the muffler overlaps 4” at each end, The stack for the top could be cut to any desired length/overall height. Currently I want to try mine at full length this puts the original stack to j pipe connection at about the stock stack height so it could be separated there for clearance issues, currently measures 3ft 4” above the top of the windshield and with stock tires over all height is 11ft 2” which would work great as I have looked at some cab over campers, otherwise I would bring it down to the height of the cargo cover, I stuck a bow upright in for reference. I made the mounting straps from the flat stock, mounted to the stock bracket.

Attachments

Dipstick

Nice work! Having said that....I will never muffle my whistler. In a world overloaded with rap music and other auditory CRAP, the sound of a C turbo is just too beautiful to quell.

MO MV man

Nice work! Having said that....I will never muffle my whistler. In a world overloaded with rap music and other auditory CRAP, the sound of a C turbo is just too beautiful to quell.
I had the Donaldson on my C turbo Deuce and it cleaned up all the "background noise" of the exhaust and made the whistle even "crisper", in my opinion.
Ohhhh, that whistle......memories...... :smile:

Blendmaster2002

Well today the stack got cut down, I figure if I get a cab over camper I will make another top stack so I can change them out, it didn’t look good with it that tall without a reason, Me my dad and sister went for a little 25 mi drive in the truck, sounds great, I had ear plugs in the glove compartment but no one used any, a conversation is possible, a radio, CB, and some sound deadening would be great. I will post a pic of the shortened stack tomorrow as it was dark when we got home. until then here’s a pic of what it looked like yesterday with the top on and a little touch up paint. thanks for all the great comments guys!

Attachments

Blendmaster2002

Ok so now that the stack was lowered anyone wanting to duplicate this set up I think I pretty much covered it all in my other posts, and the final change is that the long part of the j pipe that the original clamp clamps to the stack on was cutdown to 6" measuring from the centerline of the clamp, 3 ½” of that slides in the top of the muffler. The photos show the completed install with comparison shots of other trucks one being a stock stack on an 1987 drop side and an air force installed flapper top on an 88 dropside.

Attachments

Dipstick

Yeah, Whistlers do make a lot of noise, but I like it. My truck sort of snorts like a bull when I let out the clutch. All part of the Deuce's romance. I should have kept my opinion to myself on the muffler. Everyone has different tastes. I Like the camo job on the bobber pic for your avatar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks