• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want to borrow/rent axle/diff case spreader in Louisiana...

a175

Still can't get the gears out of the pumpkin of my M1008. I'm in Rosepine/DeRidder, LA. I can't afford to buy a spreader, but if anyone has one in the area I'm sure we could work out some form of compensation.
Please reply here, or contact me at-
justinhcannonATgmailDOTcom
or
threethreeseven2029856

Thanks, fellas

Westech

CPL
I have set up 100's or axles and I never have had to use a spreader. Yes some are WAY TOO tight but like said above.. a pry bar will pop it out. I have even used slide hammers before.

a175

This has been my pattern-
Stare at it, curse a little.
Insert pry bar in one of several places it will fit and I can reach (axle still attached to truck)
Crank and bang
Rinse and repeat.

I've done this for just over a week now, and the only movement has been an every so slight rotation of the big gear. I don't want to sound like I'm wimping out, but my truck has been on jack stands (and in my dad's garage) for almost two months now. In that time, I've had to cancel 7 psychology sessions with the VA and have postponed an appointment with LA Family Services (social security issue) enough times that the last time they called they said they require the contact information of another adult. I need to get my truck back on the road, and I'm just kind of stuck right now. I thought the spreader idea would help.

a175

Yes...
However a buddy of mine who is a diesel mechanic and is familiar with the Dana 60 says the pinion yoke HAS to come out the back before the gear pack will come out the front. Have I overlooked this fact? I can't see that anywhere. I'm not one to argue, but nobody has mentioned it here.

bushhawg73

I just pulled the chunk, ring gear and carrier, out of my dana 60. It was a pain in the butt. The only way we were able to get it out was with a long prybar and a block of wood. reinstall required a big soft face hammer and some beating. here is how we did it.

If the open side of the housing was a clock and you sit in fromt of it, you place blocks of wood at the 3 or 9 oclock position. The wood needs to be at least 2 inches thick. The helper stands by the front of the tire and you place the wood and the prybar in place and hold until the helper gets a bite with the prybar. The wood helps with the leverage and angle and protects the case. Watch out though, the chunk is heavy and will hurt you if it come spitting out of there.

Also when I removed mine I had the pinion and yolk still in place and it did not affect the removal. I tried the rag between the gears idea and could not get it to work, probably my fault. I was so tired of the pulling and twisting I almost went and tried to get a case spreader but the last ditch effort listed above got it out. I hope I explained it well enough. If you need pics let me know.

a175

Dave,
That's just harsh, man.
Another question, and it's probably a dumb one. If I were to take the truck out of park and put it into neutral would-
1. I die
2. Break things
3. It be easier to rotate the driveshaft

ODdave

Sorry, wasnt trying to be rude but if you have ever worked on axles you should know that it is not true. Tell ya what, post some pics up of the front side with your pry bar in place.

a175

For some reason I was thinking you wouldn't allow ME near the truck haha. Nevermind, I'm retarded. When my dad gets back, I'll have him hold the bar while I take a pic.

Zero_cool

Assuming the truck is still on jack stands ( if just the front is then chock the rear wheels BEFORE you put the T case in nutreal.)
Once its in nutral stick a rag in there and turn the drive shaft by hand. You might need to give it a couple bumps.
Then go back to the pry bar,pry all you can and go back to the drive shaft.
As long as you use comon sence and put saftey first, doing this will not cause death , Damage , and will be easier to turn the drive shaft.

Edit: i was out in my garage when you text me....now I understand

a175

I have the rear wheels chocked (any time a jack goes under any vehicle of mine, it's the first step... learned that one in the Army), and the front axle is resting on jack stands. Parking brake is applied. So, I SHOULD be good.

Zero, this quote-
"As long as you use common sense and put saftey first, doing this will not cause death , Damage...." is a keeper.

Wish me luck, friends.

a175

Put it in neutral, I'm not dead yet. Good sign. Unfortunately, now I got to get dressed for work. I did give the drive shaft a little turn, didn't make much of a difference. Tomorrow the saga continues...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks