• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want to borrow/rent axle/diff case spreader in Louisiana...

Matt1031

Yes...
However a buddy of mine who is a diesel mechanic and is familiar with the Dana 60 says the pinion yoke HAS to come out the back before the gear pack will come out the front. Have I overlooked this fact? I can't see that anywhere. I'm not one to argue, but nobody has mentioned it here.
Before you go any further, are you sure you know what you're getting into? Why are you pulling the carrier? Are you just replacing the inner seals or are you doing a full gear swap?

The pinion yoke has nothing to do with carrier removal. If you are doing a complete gear swap, you want to remove the pinion yoke nut while the carrier and ring gear are installed just because otherwise there's no way to hold the pinion gear still. Maybe that's what he's thinking? You can't remove the pinion gear on a D60 without pulling the carrier anyway so I'm not sure what he's trying to say. Even on a 14 bolt where you can remove the pinion housing assembly, it's not necessary to pull the carrier, so I have no idea why he's telling you the pinion gear has to come out first - it's physically impossible to do that on a Dana 60.

In order to get that yoke off you'll need a special thinwall impact socket (Snap-On) or you can take a standard 1 5/16" impact socket and taper/thin the end on a lathe. If you don't have a lathe you can just buy a cheap socket and take an angle grinder to it. if you try to remove the yoke using an unmodified socket, you'll just tear up the nut, so definitely make or buy the right socket just for pinion nut removal. It has to fit in there deep enough to fully engage the flats. Cut a little off the socket, test fit, repeat as necessary.

To get the carrier out, use two prybars - one on top, one on bottom levering against the ring gear bolts will usually do the trick

There's no way to know exactly what shims you'll need until everything has been trial fitted so allow time to make a couple runs to your local drivetrain shop in case you need parts.

Hope you realize what all's involved with this because it's not a simple job. If you've never set up gears before, a Dana 60 is not exactly an easy rear to learn on. Just the basic tools and essentials to do it right are going to cost you about $4-500 and that's not including the new gears, shims, and bearings. If you don't plan on doing more than one or two rears you're really better off and money ahead paying a pro to do the work.

Once you pull the carrier bearings you're at the point of no return, so make sure you are up to the task before you get in over your head. No shame in taking the truck to a driveline shop if you don't have the tools/skills to do it yourself.

a175

Just want the gears out so I can clean/inspect and replace any bad seals. There was water in it, so I imagine they're bad.
I will get pics as soon as I have a second person available. So far I've gone solo on everything.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
only one seal in that area and its on the pinon . you can clean those gears up without taking them out. its easy. post up some pics and give me a call. going under for a small surgery thursday 230 so ill be out tomorrow afternoon[thumbzup]

Zero_cool

only one seal in that area and its on the pinon . you can clean those gears up without taking them out. its easy. post up some pics and give me a call. going under for a small surgery thursday 230 so ill be out tomorrow afternoon[thumbzup]

There is one ceal on each side of the pumpkin that the axle shaft go threw.
Those are what he is trying to replace.

hope the surgery isnt anything major , good luck

Last edited:

Matt1031

Just want the gears out so I can clean/inspect and replace any bad seals. There was water in it, so I imagine they're bad.
I will get pics as soon as I have a second person available. So far I've gone solo on everything.
If the gears aren't pitted and the bearings aren't making any bad noises (and backlash checks OK), I'd just flush out the pumpkin with diesel, blow with compressed air, replace gear oil and call it good. If the inner axle seals aren't leaking oil into the tubes, they're doing their job - leave 'em alone. The TM is pretty well written, but it doesn't go into the fine details you only get from experience. When it comes to setting up gears, it's all about fine details. At least learn the basics on a 14 bolt first if you're dead set on attempting to rebuild a 60 solo. With no prior experience, a D60 is going to be a really rude awakening on just how involved the job can be. Your diesel mechanic friend is not a reliable source of help if he's telling you to pull the pinon first and judging by your choice of terminology you aren't yet qualified enough to be completely tearing apart a diff by yourself. I'm not saying that to belittle you or your friends knowledge/skills, I'm saying that because this job is a heck of a lot more involved than you're currently passing it off as. If you aren't fully prepared to finish it through to the end, you're basically screwed because no one else is going to want to deal with it. When you have to build a diff from complete scratch (no baseline gear markings, no baseline backlash, no baseline shim count) it is REALLY hard to do and a pro is going charge accordingly (It's only fair to charge double if someone's "tried to fix" something that causes the job to take twice as long as normal to complete).

Before you proceed any further, reinstall the bearing caps and torque them to spec. (I hope you "witness marked" the caps before you took them off, otherwise you're going to have to remove the carrier to check cap alignment) Using a Mag base and dial indicator, check the backlash. If you only replace bearings, you'll want to ensure the gears at the same backlash as original, so you need a baseline reading. Spray down the ring and pinion with a can of brake parts cleaner before checking because it's hard to get an accurate reading with gear oil or marking compound on the gears. I usually put some marking compound on them just to see what the pattern looks like and how they are broken in.

Do you have all of this stuff?
Tools:
40 ton or larger press
D60 inner seal driver. homemade or store bought (threaded expanding style, trust me it sucks to do with a hammer and a socket)
Race driver for pinion bearings (brass drift works in a pinch)
Drivers (two) for pressing carrier bearings on
Clamshell style bearing puller set (Randy's Ring and Pinion or DuraSolid for knock-off version which is about $150 cheaper and basically the same)
Pinion nut socket - Homemade or store bought
Pinion holding tool (or at least a 36" pipe wrench)
Big 'ol air compressor and the meanest, nastiest 1/2" impact gun money can buy
Mag base and dial indicator
vernier caliper or 0-1" micrometer
0-250 ft lb torque wrench
Beam type in/lb torque wrench capable of measuring 0-60 in/lbs. (You can do pinion preload by "feel", but not recommended until you've done quite a few)
Two 36" prybars.
5lb or larger deadblow hammer
Etc. (anything I forgot to list)

Optional, but reccomended:
Carrier set-up bearings (Oversize ID for slip fit on carrier)
Pinion set-up race (Undersize OD for slip fit in housing)
Digital camera/internet connection to post contact pattern and ask what everyone thinks.

Optional but generally not needed unless you plan to rebuild diffs for a living:
Pinion depth tool
Case spreader

Parts/supplies
Replacement carrier if going 4.10 down (4.56 and up uses a different carrier)
Ring and Pinion if needed (used replacement gears optional , but are a little trickier to set up)
*Pinion shims as needed
*Carrier shims as needed
*Bearings as needed
*New inner seals
*New Pinion seal
(* indicates usually included with master installation kit, "mini" install kit does not include assorted shims n' stuff)
New ring gear bolts
GM yellow gear marking compound ($7, go to a GM dealership because even NAPA doesn't carry it. TM calls for Prussian Blue which is a total mess to work with and much harder to read than GM yellow)
White lithium grease
Loctite
A couple jugs o' 90wt
"The Right Stuff" RTV for cover

If you're going to attempt to rebuild a D60, you'll want most of the above on hand before you start. Trying to "make do" with only basic hand tools and a manual to rely on is only going to cause you more grief. Once again, my advice is - If the seals aren't leaking - leave 'em alone.

Good luck.

Last edited:

bushhawg73

I posted a pic of the bearing caps and the factory markings in the first post that was made about this same subject in a different thread. On the right side of the case, cover sealing surface, you can see a sidways Y. The same Y is stamped into the bearing caps for that side. The other side has different markings. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/76532-cleaning-inner-axle-funk-dana-60-a-3.html

As the OP indicated he wanted to remove the carrier and ring gear to clean the case out, I also did this for the same reason but a more urgent matter was the leaking inner axle seals. If you are not removing the bearings you do not need all of the listed tools because there is no set up, just remove, clean and reinstall. It was a pain to get out, mostly due to weight, but I made sure and kept the correct races and bearing caps on the correct sides and all went well. Overall it was worth it to not have gear lube running out my axle tubes. One thing I overlooked at first was the axle tube vent. Mine were clogged and needed to be blown out from the inside to keep the trash out of the housing. I hope this helps. Differentals can be a real challenge to anyone without the correct tools and knowledge. If I were having new gears installed I would take it to a drive line specality shop where this is there main work. Not just anyone can set up a ring gear set.

a175

My caps are marked "L" and "R". Saves me some trouble.
All I'm wanting to do is just check to see if the seals need replacing. However, I need the stars to align so that I can have more than one person here at the same time. I also need a second pry bar so both of us can crank away. Still need to wait a bit so I can buy the seals and something that will work as a punch for that passenger side dust cap/bearing race (steering knuckle/inner c thread). I've been recommended to use a big socket that fits the hole. I think my neighbor might have one (and the pry bar). Just got to catch him while we're both home at the same time.

a175

Had to get it towed to a mechanic on November 6th (ultimatum from head of household). That guy still has the truck, just started working on it this past week. I am not a happy camper about it.
I wouldn't be so mad if he didn't say every week "yeah I'll have it back to you this afternoon/tomorrow/Wednesday/this weekend/Monday/ect"

a175

I'm sure he has plenty of work, but he shouldn't have taken the cash and then given me a completion date EVERY WEEK. Honestly, it's a lot of both.

cpf240

I learned a long time ago not to pay "up front" money, and to instead go with an agreed upon payment schedule, when I'm contracting for work to be done.

I hope it all works out for you and that you get a nice New Years gift!

Zero_cool

Wow now thats a different story. I dont blame you for being pissed.
Can you confirm that he is working on it now?
If not I would go down there and get my money back and take it to a different shop.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks