• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want to put A/C in a M925A1... anyone got pictures of their install?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah Fiberglass would probably work just fine. That would be pretty easy to work with.

The engine compartement gets pretty warm and the box would be near the exhaust manifold which would heat the box up. It was hot enough that when I went on an excursion in it on New years I had some burritos which I just put on the engine and it heated them up pretty good. Kind of an overkill oven.
I bought some stick on insulation from home depot to use on my CUCV, but never got around to it. I'm thinking though, if I were to wrap the box with it it would reflect a lot of the engine bay heat to mount my box in place of where the heater is now. I'll certainly use the air inlet duct though.

scootertrs

One of my concerns about the insulation is I would have to be able to remove the cabin filter... looks like 4 screws... and really do not want fumes coming into the cab, there is also "car and truck specific" sound and temp insulation that I am using in my 4 wheeler go fast car project to keep it civilized in the pass compartment. Cannot wait to remove that heater box... silly in Miami.

I bought some stick on insulation from home depot to use on my CUCV, but never got around to it. I'm thinking though, if I were to wrap the box with it it would reflect a lot of the engine bay heat to mount my box in place of where the heater is now. I'll certainly use the air inlet duct though.

scootertrs

You are right, we just have to plan for it. Any tricks to working under the dash of a 5 ton? I have to balance one foot on the step, the other on the window sill while I worry... I worry I might need a hoist to get pulled out... jeez... that is why soldiers are young and trim...

Wouldn't be hard to cut out around the insulation for access to any screws.

Artisan

You are right, we just have to plan for it. Any tricks to working under the dash of a 5 ton? I have to balance one foot on the step, the other on the window sill while I worry... I worry I might need a hoist to get pulled out... jeez... that is why soldiers are young and trim...
Just set up a scaffold outside so you can lay down.
Perhaps cantilever the boards over the door jamb lip or
set the top of the deck height the same as the jamb lip
or close, then raise the truck floor a tad
w/ moving blankets. A pita, yes, but if there is a lot
to do it would be worth it. Maybe pull the driver seat
as well, what is it, 4 bolts?

If I had that pump bracket in hand I bet ya I could reproduce
it in CAD so duplicate parts could be cut over and over then welded up.
If each part would lay on a piece of paper 8.5x11 then
it would be easy(er) to reverse engineer, because, I can
draw a part, then plot (print) the part out on paper 1:1 and
verify against the original part how I did. That bracket looks like
it is made from 3 flat parts yes?

If bigger than 8.5x11, that process can still be done BUT I have to pay
$35.00 each time I have a local print shop print it out
on large paper.

I would LOVE to do this. I will eventually want A/C so I would do it
if you can send it.

scootertrs

My a/c bracket will not just bolt in, it is for an A2 type. For an A1, modification and fabrication will more than likely be involved. If someone had a bracket from a "parts" 900 series A1 truck it would be special to borrow, rent it, buy it, (not steal it) , to copy its design. I am sure that if priced reasonably, many members would jump on it (I know I would). it Would make the install so much easier. Also, keep in mind that other brackets (power steering pump, alternator, etc. may have to be manufactured or modified if installing the compressor calls for it. If someone was to make a kit with the brackets, belts, instructions etc. it would be spectacular.

Just set up a scaffold outside so you can lay down.
Perhaps cantilever the boards over the door jamb lip or
set the top of the deck height the same as the jamb lip
or close, then raise the truck floor a tad
w/ moving blankets. A pita, yes, but if there is a lot
to do it would be worth it. Maybe pull the driver seat
as well, what is it, 4 bolts?

If I had that pump bracket in hand I bet ya I could reproduce
it in CAD so duplicate parts could be cut over and over then welded up.
If each part would lay on a piece of paper 8.5x11 then
it would be easy(er) to reverse engineer, because, I can
draw a part, then plot (print) the part out on paper 1:1 and
verify against the original part how I did. That bracket looks like
it is made from 3 flat parts yes?

If bigger than 8.5x11, that process can still be done BUT I have to pay
$35.00 each time I have a local print shop print it out
on large paper.

I would LOVE to do this. I will eventually want A/C so I would do it
if you can send it.

Well today I think I figured out the evap box problem. It was actually pretty easy. On the evap box I have, there is a fresh air intake port (i cant post any pics because Im using my ipad so look back on page 6 to see the pics) that stuck out about 2-3 inches. I thought that there is plenty of air circulation and since its a soft top the inside already gets plenty of outside air as is. So I decided I didnt really need that option so to make it fit I cut it off. Along with cutting a piece of the insulation off the middle hump (about an 1 inch thick) it should have 1 inch to spare. I tried cutting the insulation today and man that stuff is as tough as a rhino skin. Just saying box cutter won't work. Will probably need to use a saw of somesort.

I need to get this box installed before the weekend because there is a localshow here in town and I want to take the truck to it. A/c wont be working yet but hopefully the heat will!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I was looking under the hood of the M934 that has A/C and it looks like they replaced the
fan actuator switch with a air switch and thermal couple.
Maybe that allows the A/C to override the fan clutch control in order to force the fan on when the A/C compressor is running?

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! I got my evaporator installed today. It just barely fit I mean BARELY! I still haven't put the dash back together because I need to do some air plumbing behind the dash. I think this was the hardest part of the entire project and hopefully nothing else will be that hard. I also still need to reposition the engine diagnostic plug but that will be easy. There isn't a wiring diagram that came with it but hopefully it will be fairly easy to hook up power to it. Here are a couple pics that I took of the evap box under the dash. Still need to seal that hole or more birds will get in.:mrgreen:photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank for the pics! This is excellent! I was a little worried that I might have to choose AC or Turbo for my 931. But seeing how you freed up even more space for the turbo, this takes care of them both!

scootertrs

Grasshopper... you are making us proud sir. love the simpliciity and the ingeneuity of it Thank you

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! I got my evaporator installed today. It just barely fit I mean BARELY! I still haven't put the dash back together because I need to do some air plumbing behind the dash. I think this was the hardest part of the entire project and hopefully nothing else will be that hard. I also still need to reposition the engine diagnostic plug but that will be easy. There isn't a wiring diagram that came with it but hopefully it will be fairly easy to hook up power to it. Here are a couple pics that I took of the evap box under the dash. Still need to seal that hole or more birds will get in.:mrgreen:View attachment 412107View attachment 412108

I was hard at work today working on that a/c. Today I hooked up the wire controls to control the heater valve, floor/ defrost/ dashvents and the flap for recirculate even though I don't need it. I made a plate to keep the birds out but I still need to seal it. I also did all the dash air plumbing but I still need to find about three more black vents. I have tried many stores where I live but no luck. Any ideas where to get aftermarket air vents? I was going to take pictures but it go too dark here. I was lso going to start up the truck since it hasn't run in about 3 weeks but I didn't get the dash back together yet. Lets hope it still has a charge!

scootertrs

Good Job sir. My best half thought I needed to do a series of honey do's and have not gotten back to the truck... just bought a little 10 acre farm and been knocking down a fireplace and ripping up carpet... got a 30x30 pole barn... just big enough for my fire truck and my 5 ton...

as far as the vents, look up Vintage Air. I know they put out one heck of a catalog and have almost anything for custom and retrofit a/c's.

I don't think you will find them locally. Looking forward to the pics.

I was hard at work today working on that a/c. Today I hooked up the wire controls to control the heater valve, floor/ defrost/ dashvents and the flap for recirculate even though I don't need it. I made a plate to keep the birds out but I still need to seal it. I also did all the dash air plumbing but I still need to find about three more black vents. I have tried many stores where I live but no luck. Any ideas where to get aftermarket air vents? I was going to take pictures but it go too dark here. I was lso going to start up the truck since it hasn't run in about 3 weeks but I didn't get the dash back together yet. Lets hope it still has a charge!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks