• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warm engine stalling while driving

Thanks, another thing: my fuel pump whines sometimes, I hadn't thought of it before because it's never caused this problem. I was just outside checking it with the bleeder open. Fuel just dribbles out while it's whineing, but a light tap on top of the pump with a mallot and the whine stops and fuel shoots out like a geyser :? I don't know if this is the problem because the pump has been whineing for months on and off. This would explain the erratic random presence and dissapearance of the problem. Looks like I need to get a fuel pressure guage...aua

stumps

Thanks, another thing: my fuel pump whines sometimes, I hadn't thought of it before because it's never caused this problem. I was just outside checking it with the bleeder open. Fuel just dribbles out while it's whineing, but a light tap on top of the pump with a mallot and the whine stops and fuel shoots out like a geyser :? I don't know if this is the problem because the pump has been whineing for months on and off. This would explain the erratic random presence and dissapearance of the problem. Looks like I need to get a fuel pressure guage...aua
That is a huge clue!

Looks like you have a clogged inlet filter screen on your fuel pump. Remove the pump from the tank, and clean the screen, and clean the gorp out of your tank.

-Chuck

At the end of my rope...

I have just about had it with this problem, I am seriously about to sell this truck and throw in the towel on the entire MV thing...

I was convinced it was the in tank fuel pump, so I got up bright and early this morning and started working on it. I removed the pump, took it apart on my tool bench, cleaned EVERY part and took a wire brush to any and every electrical connection. I got the whine to stop, so I re-installed it and started the truck. After letting it warm to operating temp I started driving down the road. 5 mins into the drive it started again. aua So I quickly pulled to the side of the road and put my ear up to the fuel tank to listen for the whine... It sounded perfectly fine. (no I have not yet checked the pressure on the bleeder screw) but I really don't think this is the problem anymore. I seem to have a much taller geyser when I run the pump with the screw open than I did before. But the problem remains, so other than the forward fuel pump being faulty I dont think it is my fuel or my air. So I am beginning to wonder if it is something major. (I have not checked my valve lash yet, not sure how to and I don't want to screw it up) but are these symptoms also related to say, a head gasket? or maybe something inside the crankcase? Somebody said something about governer springs, any Ideas???

p.s. I am not one to get frustrated or throw in the towel so quickly but this one REALLY has me stumped...

Fuel filter replacement

Here we go, I removed my fuel filters and am replacing them this afternoon when I get new ones. They are the WIX 33511 (primary) and 33512 (secondary). Since I have a dealer very near to me that sells them I am going to replace them with the exact ones. Question, do the gaskets on these work ok or are they like the stubborn NAPA ones? I Also wanted to note that the gaskets around the housings are kinda funky too. The primary and one secondary ones stayed on the truck but the other secondary one came off with the housing, is that ok?

Here are some pics, feeeeeeedbaaaack please!!

Attachments

Take a gander at this!!!

Look at the condition of this PRIMARY!! There is literally SAND inside of it, looks like some red RTV from a botched in tank fuel pump job. The element is completely BLACK....... I think this may have been the culprit, just a guess. I took it for a short drive and noticed sizeable power gains in all 5 speeds after replacement. It also does not bog down as much at idle. At least the poor thing did it's job...

Attachments