• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WARNING aftermarket doors from Global Parts

Lothar

It is my understanding that Global Parts has an exclusive right to sell contract with a Russian manufacturer that makes aftermarket fiberglass doors for the HMMWV. The 2 types I have seen are made to look like either the Hummer or the Military X doors. I purchased the H-1 style. They have power windows and power locks. Cost is $5k for a set of 4. Having no experiance at the time with doors and a truck with those garbage first gen Plan B doors, and under the advice of my builder, I was expecting a fairly good level of quality for that hefty price. I am posting this with the hope that others might not make the same mistake. These doors are a nightmare. To begin with, the driverside has never latched properly. The professional installer couldn't get it right and I've messed with it for hours and it still fails to open properly without catching and requiring some type of wrangling to finally open. That's just the beginning. The window on the passenger side seems to be mounted on a center pivot so that it never sits level. The motor is so weak that it can barely roll the window up, often it requires tapping the button to slowly work the window closed a quarter inch at a time. The keyed lock is fun. While the key turns the lock in the door, it is apparently just for show as it will neither lock nor unlock the door. The key fob for the power locks worked for almost a year but now my doors can't be locked at all. The pin that the latch grabs was so poorly fuse welded that my door came flying open on the highway when the pin snapped off of the mounting plate. The limiter strap hardware is roughly cut on a plasma table with no prep so that the hard edges cut the straps in half after just a couple months of use. The access panel to get inside the door is too small and poorly located to be able to try to fix any of the incredibly fragile and cheap construction of the various mechanisms. I swear there is a piece of coat hanger included in the lock. And a zip tie holds the inside door lever assembly in place. The exterior handles which are carbon steel weren't even coated before being glazed inside the doors. Which makes it next to impossible to coat perfectly and very prone to rusting. To top it off, Global does not answer the phone but asks that you leave a message. Don't bother leaving a message asking for any kind of help or support for your $5k purchase, it will only be ignored.
20210810_195037.jpg

Gamble

Hello Lothar,

You are not alone in your frustration with the RAAMS Mobile doors. I purchased the X Door version from Midwest Military Equipment. These dealers dont support the product, they just sell them as fast as they can. Many are no longer selling the doors due to these types of issues. Others are no longer selling the doors because the Tariffs on them would push the sales price to insane numbers. I had the issue with the pins that the latch grabs during installation of the doors in which two of them broke off. Whoever heard of strikers breaking!?!? When you take a close look at them, you will see that they are not made out of steel just some cheap pot metal. I had new pins and mounts fabbed up out of heavy stainless to prevent the issue of them breaking while driving down the road. I have not had the other issues that you have encountered other than my passenger door doesnt want to lock easily. Takes alot of finagling to get it to lock.

I was told that if you were to take the doors apart, you would find things zip tied together and all types of shotty craftsmanship. I have been told to replace the internals to be safe. It would have been great to have known this in advance. They are the best LOOKING doors for the HMMWV. And the thought of power locks and windows is amazing. But it appears these arent ready for prime time and that it will take another 'investment' to get these doors where they need to be.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the shells themselves are ok, I need H1 door shells. I’d prefer fiberglass.

Steve/RWH. Do you know of a good source for fiberglass H1 doors?

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone tried the doors West Kentucky Surplus sells ? They look like the originals to me . Or are they trash too.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone tried the doors West Kentucky Surplus sells ? They look like the originals to me . Or are they trash too.
They look pretty nice, one thing is they are actually installing the aluminum trim around the doors, I looked at another set of re-pop fiberglass doors and they actually cast the trim in the doors in fiberglass, looked like crap

Sigi

I just installed the fiberglass doors from West Kentucky Surplus. They come complete with all hardware and fit well. Nice, solid doors. Fairly heavy. Just take your time when drilling the holes for the supplied hinges. No complaints overall.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just installed the fiberglass doors from West Kentucky Surplus. They come complete with all hardware and fit well. Nice, solid doors. Fairly heavy. Just take your time when drilling the holes for the supplied hinges. No complaints overall.
They look really good. Guessing you had them shipped to you out on the west coast by motor freight? Finish is pretty good?

Sigi

They look really good. Guessing you had them shipped to you out on the west coast by motor freight? Finish is pretty good?
The doors are finished very well. The gelcoat surface is perfect. White on outside, painted black on interior. They come fully assembled on one pallet.

Shipping was reasonable (as these things go nowadays). $300 to west coast including tail gate home delivery.

BLK HMMWV

Someday my wife is going to make me clean out my garage and sell all the doors I have.

And to think I have been cutting them in half and making half doors out of them.
Go figure. I know Mullaney it's hilarious. Back in the day trucks were hard to find and parts were a plenty
DSCF2586.JPGDSCF2587.JPGDSCF2588.JPGDSCF2589.JPGDSCF2590.JPGDSCF2591.JPGDSCF2592.JPGDSCF2593.JPGDSCF2594.JPGDSCF2595.JPG

Last edited:

Hum to the Vee

The M998 in my profile photo has doors from West Kentucky Surplus. The doors are solid and I have not had much trouble with them. I had a handle for the window fall off the back, the screws had worked themselves out. Only other issue was a striker I had to adjust. After about a year the door would randomly pop open. I slid the striker down a hair and resolved the issue. This occurred on the driver door so I suspect my fat a$$ leaned on it and "adjusted" the hinges....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks