• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was looking for a shop in or near Milwaukee to work on M1008; then did it all myself!

retro_life

I got the starter off… that was fun, especially removing the wires from the solenoid lol. It looks ok, I was worried the pinion would have some damage but it doesn’t look like it. The bolts holding the solenoid on were a little loose though. I’m thinking about dropping it off for a rebuild at a local shop here in Milwaukee that specializes in starters and alternators. I’m just worried it chews up the new flywheel.

Also it looks like the support bracket was missing. I have one though, I just need to know how it goes on and what bolt I need for it to mount to the engine block.

One of the bolts holding the starter on was replaced and incorrect as it doesn’t have the knurling on it. I bought some replacement ARP bolts but they look too long…Anyone got the correct part number for the starter bolts?

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

AC Delco 15544950. For the starter bolts.
I just need to know how it goes on and what bolt I need for it to mount to the engine block.
It is a metric M8 x 1.25 metric flange bolt. Hardware store about 5/8" long will work. Check the depth with a screw driver.

Smart move getting the starter rebuilt at a reputable shop. Some guys just put new parts in the starter and call it rebuilt. there is more to it then that. Keep going you have this thing in the bag.

cucvrus

I am living the 20 minute job being a 3 day deal. I have an M1009 here and am struggling with a starter bolt. I also have a Honda tractor with a loose starter that requires the engine to be pulled for tightening the bolts. But I can't risk running it for fear the come out and get stuck in the magnetic flywheel and take out the whole back of the engine. Just grin and bear it. It must be done. That starter was replaced several years ago. I hope it is not a broken bolt. I will know in a few hours. I may as well get at it. I enjoy the challenge. I used to get challenged drinking a 30 pack.

retro_life

The shop I took the starter to was really awesome. The guy told me right off the bat the starter drive was shot because he was able to turn the pinion easily with a pen. He said he couldn’t even believe it was able to start the truck lol. I had a NOS solenoid I took with me and he said he will use it on the rebuild. He’s going to sand blast it, repaint it and completely rebuild it with all new parts. He said it would be done by Tuesday and the price was really damn good too. EE17A394-C576-4A42-B3C7-35AB66BD8A47.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The shop I took the starter to was really awesome. The guy told me right off the bat the starter drive was shot because he was able to turn the pinion easily with a pen. He said he couldn’t even believe it was able to start the truck lol. I had a NOS solenoid I took with me and he said he will use it on the rebuild. He’s going to sand blast it, repaint it and completely rebuild it with all new parts. He said it would be done by Tuesday and the price was really damn good too. View attachment 838626
Neat!! Little private shop... Guy has most likely doing starters forever.
Big or Small doesn't really matter I suppose. Skills apply. Very Neat!

retro_life

Neat!! Little private shop... Guy has most likely doing starters forever.
Big or Small doesn't really matter I suppose. Skills apply. Very Neat!
It was actually pretty big with a small army of guys working in the back. I think they do a lot of big rig stuff too. The guy I talked to was the starter expert and right when I pulled the starter out he was like “oh a 6.2 diesel huh?” And then I said it was a 24V and he said “oh military huh” lol. So I felt good knowing he knew his stuff. I’ll post some pics after I pick it up.

retro_life

You have the wrong filters over the idiot lights. Do you have the correct ones? Let me know.
I’m going to reuse the cucv ones, I mostly got this for the white housing part since mine was all broken and missing the mounting tabs and gear indicator string slot.

You wouldn’t happen to have an extra 4x4 and low oil cucv lens tho would you? Mine is cracked on the 4x4 part.

retro_life

Trick question of course I do. You need the big 4WD and the low coolant? The 4 WD and the oil pressure are on the same filter on a CUCV.
Yes sir! My two generator filters on the bottom are good but my top big filter has a crack where it says 4WD. I’d love to replace it with a nice one if you got it. Let me know! Thanks!
4441645D-9CF3-4669-A61F-A70D122FD4D1.jpeg

Last edited:

cucvrus

I have one of the 4WD Oil filters and will mail it out to you for doing such a great job. Maybe some day you will come across some old license plates and send them my way. I still have your address in my tablet. Starter looks great. Now lets see some progress on the rest of the project. Keep up the Great Work. No Half Fast engineering going on here. Hey man nice job.

retro_life

I’m working on the flywheel swap right now. I just got all the bolts holding it to the torque converter removed and I’m getting ready to install the longer bolts in the bell housing. It was never mentioned before, but is the dip stick tube ok to stay attached or does that need to come out too? @cucvrus
Thanks!

Edit** ok it’s obvious now that I’m there. I’m at that last bolt on the top of the bell housing on the passenger side that is holding the bracket attached to the dip stick tube. I just removed the bolt and now I’m trying to pop the dipstick tube out of the rubber seal. Then I’ll be able to thread in the last 4” bolt and slide the tranny back!

5DE60789-23E7-4A3B-943C-989889A0AF0F.jpeg

Last edited:

retro_life

Ok! I got all the long bolts installed in the bell housing and the transmission supported with the tranny jack. I’ve also removed the cross member and transfer case adapter.
Check out how bad the adapter was cracked! Thank goodness it didn’t fall apart when I was driving it!
2943BFB5-013E-4A95-AE38-760FBC64A7F9.jpeg0A9BA527-82A4-42AA-B9BE-3409C755E1F6.jpeg30518FD6-6118-4C59-A61C-EB6D150DDA24.jpegAED04C58-4C3B-40AB-AEB0-C66FF0A799AE.jpeg68053CD0-F331-4CA5-BDA5-74609DB3E1E7.jpeg2A86BD0B-8359-41DA-90FA-5EC0B05771EF.jpeg
I dropped it on the floor and it cracked right in half…. Thank god it didn’t give out while I was driving….

C2ED7EB9-DD2C-4495-BCAF-DA4D67254500.jpeg

Last edited:

retro_life

I got the new flex plate installed and the transmission re-installed with original bolts. I also got the torque converter and new TC adaptor installed.

I was just cleaning the cross member to prepare it for re-installation when I came across a small hairline crack near one of the holes where the skid plate attaches. What do you think about that? Should I take it somewhere and have a bead welded over the crack or do you think I’ll be ok? I was hoping to get it done tonight but I’m waiting for your advice.

8FF0546E-6E23-4E5F-BCF0-203B381C6841.jpeg1C725112-407C-44BB-9583-A4A8D8443AA5.jpegF85BA3EF-3DF8-4574-B2DD-64F30173E36C.jpeg19CC394E-A5D2-4BC2-8C9D-B7890B6F4E22.jpegBF6AFFC4-FD17-46BF-ACD1-C2B51EF481CD.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks