• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was my truck overhauled by the military?

dusterjh

Hi All,

I see alot on here and on ebay when people say their truck was overhauled in let's say 1990 by the military. How do I know if mine was, is there sticker somewhere's or something? I can find anything on my 1973 bobbed AM General, the odometer says around 10K miles, the tach doesn't work so I don't know the hours.
I'm sure this has been covered several times but I couldn't find anything with the search feature.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe
Towanda, PA

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any time I see rebuild dates or mileage listed in trucks for sale I don't put much faith in those numbers. Everbody likes to brag "truck has only 10k miles since rebuild" or "depot rebuild in 1990" but the fact is most of the time they are dead wrong. It's a well known fact that it's almost impossible to know the true mileage of any given truck.

hole

I presumed that the tag with a stamped date on it was a good inication of a rebuild date . My appologies if I wasnt clear, On my 52 Studebaker, every driveline componant has a tag with a stamped date, all from 1990 to 1992.

OldGoat

As stated earlier, they like to change the vin number & it looks like it was hand stamped. Several that I have owned, have the extra plate on the dash with the phone number etc of the place of rebuild. One I owned (a M52A2 ) had the bearing sizes & bore on a extra plate on the engine.

Carl_in_NH

My M35A2 has a tag on the right side of the engine near the front that states the engine rebuild date, contract number, location, with main and rod bearing undersize grind data (0.010" for both) on the crankshaft.

There are other tages on other driveline components with information on their respective rebuild dates.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rebuild tags on the individual components cannot be 100% relied upon. Say an axle goes had on a truck that has not been rebuilt by depot.... The truck could get a brandy new one or a rebuilt one as a replacement, it all just depends on what box the depot shipped to the unit that day. Lots of engines have "rebuilt/oversized" tags on them, all that means the ENGINE was rebuilt, not the whole truck.

The things to look for are the "overhauled" triangle tag (not a MWO triangle tag), or a rebuild dataplate that says "overhauled/rebuilt at TEAD" or something similar.

I see a ton of trucks that got the seatbelt MWO applied that have the MWO triangle dataplate that some people think means it was totally rebuilt..

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
The best chance you have to getting the real story is to donate to this site, and have Carnac search your VIN. I had a depot rebuild and it showed up under the truck history.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best chance you have to getting the real story is to donate to this site, and have Carnac search your VIN. I had a depot rebuild and it showed up under the truck history.
I was hoping someone would mention vehicle history database info in this thread. Am I to understand that these VIN records would include a fairly detailed mechanical/maint. record? (I'd hope so - Gov't paperwork!)

I'd also considered a Freedom Of Information disclosure request, but it's good to know that we have a "inside source".

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!

ida34

The rebuild tags on the individual components cannot be 100% relied upon. Say an axle goes had on a truck that has not been rebuilt by depot.... The truck could get a brandy new one or a rebuilt one as a replacement, it all just depends on what box the depot shipped to the unit that day. Lots of engines have "rebuilt/oversized" tags on them, all that means the ENGINE was rebuilt, not the whole truck.

The things to look for are the "overhauled" triangle tag (not a MWO triangle tag), or a rebuild dataplate that says "overhauled/rebuilt at TEAD" or something similar.

I see a ton of trucks that got the seatbelt MWO applied that have the MWO triangle dataplate that some people think means it was totally rebuilt..

I agree totally. My truck had had every drive line component replaced with rebuilt units but it has never been depot rebuilt. In a depot rebuild they strip the truck to the frame. All of the components are sent out and check and rebuilt or discarded. The components are then sent back to an assembly line. The frame gets new components along the line until it is complete. This is why the dash plate is replaced. They use the original frame number as the number for the vehicle. It gets a new registration number but the serial number is from the frame. This is why a lot of guys do not know the year of their trucks. When the new data plates are made they do not really know when the frame was made. Basically if you have a 69 Kaiser-Jeep depot rebuild the only thing that you can be sure of is that the frame is a 69 Kaiser-Jeep. The other parts are from various years. They do not make any effort to keep the original parts with the original frame.

Trucks like mine, have never been depot rebuilt so mine is pretty original except for the driveline stuff that has been replaced. This is why I don't really want a depot rebuilt truck. They are mix masters. One other thing, depot rebuilds get the odometer reset to zero while original trucks should be the actual miles unless the speedo or dash set has been changed.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
You do not get a detailed mechanical history. You get the date of manufacture, who built it, contract, what unit it went to, was it transferred and maybe it will tell you it was rebuilt. remember the info is there if some one put it into the system. Now to add to this, i have one truck that is actually made from 2 trucks.

Chief_919

I was hoping someone would mention vehicle history database info in this thread. Am I to understand that these VIN records would include a fairly detailed mechanical/maint. record? (I'd hope so - Gov't paperwork!)

I'd also considered a Freedom Of Information disclosure request, but it's good to know that we have a "inside source".

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!
No, there is no big central repository of maintenance information for these vehicles. On the Army side that info is maintained at the unit level in the SAMS-E computer, and when the vehicle is transferred out all that history information info goes onto a floppy disk to be sent to the gaining unit.

About all that is maintained at DA level is S/N, Reg Number, Model, owning unit.

If you happen to find a floppy disk in your truck when you buy it, it likely has that more detailed info. If anyone does I can help read it and decode it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Occasionally you can get REALLY lucky thru GL and find a folder with the trucks maintainece records in the cab. Usually with the USAF trucks..

Seems the USAF keeps their records both on paper and on computer, and forwards atleast the paperwork itself on with the truck as it moves from unit to unit.. If it doesnt blow out the window, get rained on or somehow lost from it's last unit to GL, you may get lucky and still have it.

I was lucky enough to get my whole trucks COMPLETE history, starting from the "build order sheet" that was on it as it went down the assemby line on Feb 4, 1988 to the email saying it had reached it's 18 year service life on January 24, 2006, and EVERY inspection, service, oil change, and fault ever noted and fixed on it. Also in the bed was the complete set of TM's they used with the truck, each one had the registration # on the cover for that exact truck.

Even some wierdo stuff like the Bill Of Lading shipping it from AM General to Hancock Field, NY. Strangely, it sat for almost exactly a year once it was built in AMG's holding yard before the USAF told them where to send it.

The most unusual thing was the receipt from a Ford Dealer in Syracuse NY in August 1990 for $504 to paint the CARC camo pattern on it. (It was CARC 383 Green from the factory)

USAF maintaince records are NOTHING like US Army ones.. With the US Army trucks/trailers, if you dont get the SAMS-E disk (unlikely) about all you can do research thru is the bumper #'s, and CANAC's info. Also, the stray 5988-E or DA-2404 that you may find in the glove box or under seat may lead to some unit history also.

The attached pic isnt of my truck, but usually, the envelope has the records in it. If your lucky, this is what you'll see when you inspect the truck.

As for MWO tags, this is what they look like.. No bigger than a quarter, and riveted (on wheeled vehicles) on the drivers side B post, clearly visible.
The MWO number thats listed is the # for the MWO. In the case of M35A2's, the biggest MWO is for adding the seatbelts, MWO 9-2320-200-35-1

In the MWO tag picture, it shows the tag with the MWO # inscribed. It is important to note, this is NOT a rebuild tag. It's just stating the MWO was done to the truck. As for the date thats listed, it's a Julian Date. The last digit of the year, and the day number of the date it was installed. The only problem is that a Julian date doesnt tell the decade. Meaning the MWO could of been done in 1989 or 1999. To get a better "read" on the date, you need to research when the MWO was issued, (which in this particular seatbelt MWO was October 1988) and use some common sense..... if the MWO was issued in 1988, it makes sense that it was installed in 1989, as the MWO was a ROUTINE one, and units were given several years to get it installed. Yes, it is possible that the MWO was done in 1999 also, but unlikely. As for the other 3 digits on the tag, 315, when "converted" to a Julian Date, it becomes November 15th.. January 1st is day #1, which would look like 001, all the way thru to December 31st, which is 365.

Some other MWO's are URGENT, or EMERGENCY, and you have much shorter windows to get them completed.. The Emergency ones tend to be a "dont drive this vehicle an inch until this saftey MWO is applied. MWO's are all kept track of at TACOM, but we dont have access to that info.

Attachments

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westfolk is 100% correct in his above posts. CANAC's info is what it is, which was entered by some soldier who may or may not of enetered it correctly.

For the soldier, it could of been the ONE thing on the to do list for that day, and it got done correctly, or it could of been thing # 112 of 200 on the to do list of things that had to get done that day... And a mistake got made, either thru a keypunch error or carelessness..

Or it could of been entered before the 1st cup of coffee was consumed that day.
Or it could of been 3 hours past the time the soldier was supposed to go home that day...
Or it could be 100% correct....

You get the picture???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks