• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was my truck overhauled by the military?

DonFremont

Can anyone tell me if my truck was overhauled by this plate on my dash. I 've been telling others it was rebuilt in 88. But I see it says "overhauled to limited depot standards". Does that mean partially rebuilt? If it was rebuilt in 88, do I register it as an 88 or a 68 (according to CARNAC).

Thanks for any info.

Attachments

Chief_919

Can anyone tell me if my truck was overhauled by this plate on my dash. I 've been telling others it was rebuilt in 88. But I see it says "overhauled to limited depot standards". Does that mean partially rebuilt? If it was rebuilt in 88, do I register it as an 88 or a 68 (according to CARNAC).

Thanks for any info.
It was rebuilt in 88. Usually "limited depot" means that all the mechanical parts and wiring were replaced, but the cabs were not seperated from the frames and everything torn down to the nut and bolt level that a full rebuild would get.

Register it as a 68, that is what it is. Plus being a 68 means you are not required all the safety equipment an 88 would have to have should an inspector want to run by the book.

onegmjack

When I picked up my Deuce at Redstone.The guy said he put something in map compartment,
didn't understand what he said with truck running.When I checked it was envelope with I guess service records and a floppy disk.Chief_919 I have tried to open files but can't.What do I need to open files?

saddamsnightmare

September 13th, 2009.

On my M35A2 "Saddam's Nightmare" built in 1971 by Kaiser Jeep, several things pointed to the 1989/1990 rebuild date. 1. Data Plate hand stamped, with no builder data
(E.. "Kaiser Jeep" on it); 2. rebuild tags on most major components of the drive train.;3. 686A Tan everywhere on the vehicle, except for some reason the dashboard , cab back wall, floorboards and inside the doors. (The presence of Desert Tan everywhere that is inaccessible normally unless the assembly was dissassembled to paint) which indicates a depot rebuild versus an in field repaint. 4. CARC 686A tan everywhere weathered as it should be after 18 years use ( I bought the truck in the fall of 2007 from BullDog Mack 13);
21 or 22 K on speedo, with mechanical wear on truck's drive components being consistent with that mileage); 5. unit using truck was involved in Desert Storm/Desert Shield operations in Kuwait & Iraq at that time, and usually the frontline trucks (today) are not the ones that can't take the beating of heavy use (hanger queens and older trucks).
Interesting enough, the engine mfrs plate is heavily weathered, and the cast date for the block is about two to three weeks before the truck was built and accepted for service, I know the engines that go back in are usually the first rebuilt at hand, but knowing also the demands for new line haul trucks in 1971 in Vietnam, few new spares were sent over unless the truck was really badly needed (See D. Doyle's item on Multifuel Engine life of 10000 miles in 'nam) and most beaters were sent out country for rebuild. This may well be the original engine, as it is normally aspirated 465LD, not turbo'd, so it got back a very similar engine to what it had upon rebuild, if not the exact engine.
Most 1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2's I have seen, tended to get the turbo engines in later rebuid's, and this truck has, except for seatbelts and a springer seat, none of the items usually found in later (1990s) rebuilds.

Just my .02 worth of thoughts,
but on here you will find information unobtainable anywhere else (Kudos to D. Doyle and the Great Carnac).

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

guide line

My chief mechanic gave me this guide line to go by. If has a tag it most likely has been rebuilt. He also said to look for silver triangle tags. If there was one coat of new paint that was best, because third shop or civilians did it. Six years as an 88M (truck driver) in the army and it proved to be true for me.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are different versions of "silver triangle tags"....

Some are MWO tags, some are rebuild tags.. You need to read the tag... I have seen some resellers of trucks try to pass of a MWO tag as a rebuild tag to those who dont know any better......

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear that people are being dishonest but not surprised. thank you for adding that I did not know.
I don't think it's as much dishonesty as it is just not knowing what they are talking about. There are a lot of sellers that think they are deuce experts but have no idea. I looked at a truck one time that the guy said was a 1986. When I looked at it the engine was a '86 but the truck was a 1953. The seller just went by the engine date because the truck data plate didn't say the year but the truth is there are very few trucks with their orignial engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks