• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was Stuck in M923A2, learned many lessons

todds112

Sunday was a really nice day here, in the low 60's and sunny. Took the M923 out for a spin. Ended up going up into the hills for a little while. "Most" of the snow was melted off and "most" roads were pretty dry. The truck was driving great.

Here a pic from when things were going great. That's the Grand Tetons in the background.

image[2].jpg

Now I was just going for a little ride, not an adventure. I had my small toolkit, jack, those sort of things. I was wearing my usual T-shirt, jeans, and cowboy boots. It was warm didn't need a jacket...

So I noticed the entrance to a favorite drive was thawed out. There were other tracks going in already, let's go. Going was easy, truck never hesitated. The road starts to go up a bit in elevation and there was still snow on the road. It was really hard, packed-down snow. Going was still easy. It started to get questionable and I decided I should turn around and not to to "push it" to the ther side. I did a 3 point turn to go back down and...bogged down and got stuck. I did have the front axle locked, but it just sank in and started to dig in. Oh crap! I was about 6 miles in and stuck in my 24,000 pound truck. I was alone.

Many mistakes coming together now. My CTIS is still on the fritz, so I didn't have the tires aired down like I should have. It's starting to get dark. I tried what I could by myself: logs under the tires, aired the tires down, etc. Just dug in deeper. I knew there was a point I needed to start walking out before it got too dark and cold. There was no cell service. I walked a couple miles before I got service and called for a ride. Walked another mile or so before the ride could get to me. Walking along I noticed wolf tracks on the road I was now walking. OH, I also didn't bring any firearm that I always carry in the woods.

I finally made the "walk of shame" out. I was muddy, wet, very cold, soaking wet feet (boots not waterproof). Almost fell several times on the snow due to crappy footwear. I was totally dejected and a bit freaked out by now. No I didn't get any pictures that night. I was more in survival mode and didn't document it.

I called a tow company and they agreed to try it. They only have a small light duty tow truck. We barely even made it to the truck. Of course their little winch didn't even budge the truck and they gave up. NOw I'm really freaked out. I have clear visions of my truck burned, shot full of holes, canabalized, etc. that seems to happen to every truck left abandoned in the woods. It was a long sleepless night for me...

todds112

The next day after work I decided to hike up to the truck from the other end of the road. This was only a couple miles, but higher and more shady, thus more snow. I was prepared this time with proper clothing, footwear, protection, and hydration. I was more scouting than actually attempting to recover it. It had been another really sunny warm day and I wanted to see how much more snow had melted. There was little more snow gone and the truck was still OK. It just doesn't look THAT stuck.:x

image.jpg

Back tires aren't even really sunk in, just the fronts. I through the snow and into the mud underneath. I couldn't resist rying to drive it out again. Nope, it's not budging. Where I was turning around in a side road. Here's the road I came in on. I had seen enough and hiked back out.

image[1].jpg

Alexsha

Glad you're okay.

If you get an air hose and glad hand, you can air down the tires to try and get out then refill them from on-board air.

Alexsha

If my wife wasn't about to pop out a baby in the next few days I could probably get up that way. I think you're just an hour or so from me.

The King Machine

Take a bottle jack up there, some lumber, a shovel. Jack the front up, insert wood under the tires. Air down all tires. Shovel out any hang ups under the axles. Then shovel snow into the bed, get some weight on those rear axles. keep the front tires straight, attempt to drive out. Looks muddy under the snow, if it continues to thaw it might get real mushy under those rear axles.

todds112

The next day was still warm, but the forcasts were calling for snow in the future, CRAP! I formulated a plan and a buddy went along. I was able to drive my pickup in from the original direction. Loaded up with tools, tarps, 5 gallon buckets, etc. I had a plan. Stopped along the road and loaded up lots of big rocks and buckets of gravel sized stuff. We got to the truck and more snow had melted. That was good, but it made it more muddy, not good.

Plan A: pushed rocks and gravel under front edge of tires. Also dug out around the tires a bit. It didn't work, just spun the tires.

Plan B: Lift up the front axle with the bottle jack and stuff big rocks under the tires. Took a couple of hours. Had to lift the truck, then lower it, add more cribbing, lift it up, repeat... We got it all set up. The truck was now setting on the rocks and the front axle had daylight between it and the ground. Now came the moment of truth. Gently applied the throttle and...CRAP the tires are spining again! Tried reverse and it caught and moved back a couple feet (all there was due to trees). Put it in 1 and punched it. Still had traction, go, go, go go!!! Front tires hit the holes where they had been, bounced up and out and clawed furiously forward! She was out!:clinto:

I got her home OK and the ordeal was over.

I made so many mistakes along the way and can't believe I was that stupid.

The only issue I currently have now is the ABS light is on. It wasn't before.

Vids/pics of the save coming....

ageregunner

I am glad you got the truck out ok. Thanks for your story, it teaches all of us the lesson to be prepared for the worst when we take our trucks out into the bush.

Andrmorr

There is always lessons learned (good & bad)on these type trips...Any chance you tried it with the front wheels OUT of lock? If so, did the rears pull diferently?
I had that happen in a M925 crossing a creek on a powerline road in FL one time...the water was only 6" deep but the front wheels sunk in right before the opposite bank and the winch bumper ski'd up on the bank and unweighted the fronts...with the fronts spinning off the ground the rears seemed to stop pulling...at that time it never occured to me to try it with the front lock set to OUT...truck actually stayed in the creek for 3 days while Eglin, AFB sent 3 different 5 ton wreckers to try and pull it out...hindsight it was novice wrecker operators that made the attempts fail but recovery lessons were learned there too...Once the truck moved the 18" of the winch bumper, it was free... I'm betting there is another interested party for the air lockers group buy!

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope all works out for you. I have been in similar situations and thankfully have made out ok. Thats why I always like having a full tank of fuel, truck checked over and enough supplies in case stuff hits the fan. I also carry 3 snatch blocks (two single pulley ones and one double pulley for lots of mechanical advantage).When questionable, I have made a bunch of smaller "K-Turns" so I know I would make it out and not get stuck. This is another reason I bought a winch truck. I have used it for lots of things including getting myself out of a bind a couple times. We have all done similar things as yours, so I am not saying I haven't been there before... just not with something that big. Here is a picture of the situation I was in. It was close by a river and the ground looked stable... it wasn't. All soft mud.

1427911320226.jpg

todds112

Thanks guys for the offers to help! I knew I'ld get a few if I yelled, "Help!" Wouldn't want to drag anyone here from far away due to my own stupidity.

I'm really really mad at myself. I work in public safety here in the mountains. I KNOW not to go out unprepared. I KNOW not to go out without proper supplies, clothing, etc. I have explained precautions to people many many times. Sadly, I've recovered those that couldn't learn from their mistakes because they are no longer with us. I said many times, "Man, they were lucky, can't believe they went out so unprepared." I KNOW all of this, yet I chose to put myself in that situation anyway. Really dissappointed in myself and grateful I came out unscathed.

I'm hoping the ABS thing is just a crudded up sensor, or connection. I'm going to pressure wash the mud off everything then check connectors, etc.

Andrmorr

Thanks guys for the offers to help! I knew I'ld get a few if I yelled, "Help!" Wouldn't want to drag anyone here from far away due to my own stupidity.

I'm really really mad at myself. I work in public safety here in the mountains. I KNOW not to go out unprepared. I KNOW not to go out without proper supplies, clothing, etc. I have explained precautions to people many many times. Sadly, I've recovered those that couldn't learn from their mistakes because they are no longer with us. I said many times, "Man, they were lucky, can't believe they went out so unprepared." I KNOW all of this, yet I chose to put myself in that situation anyway. Really dissappointed in myself and grateful I came out unscathed.

I'm hoping the ABS thing is just a crudded up sensor, or connection. I'm going to pressure wash the mud off everything then check connectors, etc.
Don't be too hard on yourself...there were no zero's or extreme weather on your location...6 miles is not a big threat especially since help is only a cell signal away...add a zero or more and it is...I'd call it a "reminder situation" or Murphy warning!

PWM

Glad you made it out. I have been in situations like this and each one taught me valuable lessons I will never forget. I have been watching a lot of off road videos from Australia, I see them using Maxtrax extrication mats all the time. I don't know if they would have worked in your situation but the seem like pretty good product. On Maxtrax America's web site they have a video of them being used with military vehicles including a five ton. I have been thinking of saving my pennies to buy some but they are really expensive. A tow truck is also really expensive so it might be worth it. They even come in colors to match our trucks.

Attachments

74M35A2

Fun story. Middle of nowhere makes it like a scary movie.

I'm surprised you sold a truck with a winch and then bought one without. M35A2 doesn't get stuck as easily, I don't think, so it could have been deceiving to you if you never had to use the winch on your M35A2.

If I had an M923, I'd consider to buy one of those 18,000lb electric winches, and mount it on 2" square tubing, then have a hitch front and rear on the truck, with a slave cable connector on the winch.

I had my M925A2 stuck in 4' of mud, and was thankful I paid more for the winch truck than one without. Sure, it was several thousand more, but I don't worry about getting stuck. Especially when WildChild467 jumps in the mud and does all the rigging while I sit in the cab chewing on a hamburger, just waiting for his signal to pull the lever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks