• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was Stuck in M923A2, learned many lessons

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you're out, and thanks for the lessons. Hope I never need to use the info, but Murphy strikes when you're least prepared. I would have done a 3-point turn at a road intersection as you did, not expecting that the side road was a mud hole under the snow.

Woodsplinter

Just out of curiosity, how cold was it at night? Would cooler night temps have "firmed" the ground up enough to get out at night?

Just a thought...

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the rear would be the part of the truck that gets the best traction more rubber to the road. Guess one would have to see which would be better. I drove some big heavy dump trucks and found if I kept my rears on good ground I could do more than if I lost traction with the rears. Also if you look sometimes when you go through something but get stuck because of the front tires going below ground line you still can back out because you already displaced the area going through and you back straight out.

The true lession is if you are wanting to go through mud or snow covered ground get out and walk the mud /snow area with a stick and find out if it can even be done.

Last edited:

todds112

Just out of curiosity, how cold was it at night? Would cooler night temps have "firmed" the ground up enough to get out at night?

Just a thought...
It only got down to the 40's those few nights. I was wondering the same thing and contemplated a "first light" attempt if this one had failed. Mud season here is pretty unpredictable. That and be unprepared were not a good combination. I was very lucky.

The snow was misleading, it was very hard and firm with a top layer of softer stuff from the sun. Picture a plate of glass on a sponge. It feels firm and solid, then, "CRACK!" you're through and there's no support under it. The melt off runs under the snow in places and you can hear loud "thuds" as huge sheets of it give way and pack down. It most places it was solid under it and you could keep going without trouble. I was just "lucky" and found a spot where it wasn't solid underneath.

Last edited:

todds112

Got the ABS fault fixed. The little wire clip on the main plug into the ECU was popped off one side and the plug was a little loose. Took it apart and cleaned it up and the fault cleared.

acesneights1

Fun story. Middle of nowhere makes it like a scary movie.

I'm surprised you sold a truck with a winch and then bought one without. M35A2 doesn't get stuck as easily, I don't think, so it could have been deceiving to you if you never had to use the winch on your M35A2.

If I had an M923, I'd consider to buy one of those 18,000lb electric winches, and mount it on 2" square tubing, then have a hitch front and rear on the truck, with a slave cable connector on the winch.

I had my M925A2 stuck in 4' of mud, and was thankful I paid more for the winch truck than one without. Sure, it was several thousand more, but I don't worry about getting stuck. Especially when WildChild467 jumps in the mud and does all the rigging while I sit in the cab chewing on a hamburger, just waiting for his signal to pull the lever.
I beg to differ...:mrgreen:
I tried playing in the snow too. Luckily it was in my back yard. It took me an hour to dig it out with a skid steer and two shovels...
I now know first hand how truly worthless NDT's are.

Attachments