• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water pump type? Flowkooler

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What type of water pump does the 6.5 A2 type engine take? This is serpentine belt.

Looks like it’s the pump with the bolt on pulley. See link.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What type of water pump does the 6.5 A2 type engine take? This is serpentine belt.

Looks like it’s the pump with the bolt on pulley. See link.

Wow! 130 gallons per minute is a lot of water moved...

FlowKooler 6.5 Liter High Flow Water Pump.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, 130GPM is a lotta water, damn shame it takes so much horse power to try and overcome the cooling deficiencies of the Detroit Diesel, the Duramax on the other hand delivers around 50GPM and can cool it up to around 600HP.
The faster the water flows the less heat is transferred but of course the more the flow is the more times per hour it passes through the radiator.
The reason for the high flow in the Detroit is to build more pressure (pump head pressure not system pressure) to try and get water flowing through parts of the block that are not sufficiently cooled with "normal" pump head pressure, of course this means more HP consumed by the pump on an engine whithout any HP to spare.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yep, 130GPM is a lotta water, damn shame it takes so much horse power to try and overcome the cooling deficiencies of the Detroit Diesel, the Duramax on the other hand delivers around 50GPM and can cool it up to around 600HP.
The faster the water flows the less heat is transferred but of course the more the flow is the more times per hour it passes through the radiator.
The reason for the high flow in the Detroit is to build more pressure (pump head pressure not system pressure) to try and get water flowing through parts of the block that are not sufficiently cooled with "normal" pump head pressure, of course this means more HP consumed by the pump on an engine whithout any HP to spare.
Don't normally get to say it - but - Ain't that the truth! These are really neat trucks in stock form, but they aren't overrun with horsepower for sure. Of course going fast isn't really what they were built for either.

SmartDrug

With that high flow rate, does the water pump do a sufficient job of cooling a 6.5 GEP?

Are those $270 coolant "upgrades" worth the coin?

https://paradoxbydesign.com/products/hmmwv-humvee-cooling-upgrade-system-v3

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that high flow rate, does the water pump do a sufficient job of cooling a 6.5 GEP?

That is easy enough to DYI at around $50
I would assume ALL GEPs already have the 130GPH pump, if fact all engines from 1997 up would/should have a 130GPH pump, that was the GM standard pump from 1997 on.
EDIT, I assume that this means "High Output" on my GEP turbo.
HO.jpg

Last edited:

JetbikeAnt

I installed the cooling kit on both my 6.2 & 6.5 NA along with the upgraded Temp Gauge with the Gray Boot Sensor. I feel it made a huge difference in the Summer, but did not think about there is also Winter. In the Winter both Trucks barley got into the Green on the Temp Gauge. Thank the Lord the A2 has a much better heating system. Besides that I love the upgrade.

Now for the cost, when I purchased the Kit's, I never really thought about it building it myself, doubting my mechanical capabilities. After working on two Trucks now for 4 years of driving them daily with PM and upgrades I can pretty much do anything I need myself except what I choose not too.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 861675
But to answer your question, yes it would be the pump with the 4 bolt holes in the flange, same as the earlier 6.2L with V belts but of course the serpentine pump turns the other way, I am pretty sure they both use the same hydraulic clutch but different fans because of the reverse direction.

Action

No. I would not waste money fir that hose on top of engine. The only actual data i have seen was that temps at rear raised but was evened out. People state that the fan comes on less. That will happen when you give coolant another route to go instead of past the temp sensor. AMG didnt need it. GM didnt need it...

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cannot speak to the validity of this mod but the Detroit has a LONG history of rear cylinder heat issues that only got worse when the 6.5L was released.
GM should have done something but their answer was to pump more water, but GM also has a long history of not doing squat to resolve engine issues as long as they are not coming back as a warrantee replacement.
It is asserted that GEP fixed many if not all the heating issues along with many other issues when they re-designed the 6.5L

blutow

It is asserted that GEP fixed many if not all the heating issues along with many other issues when they re-designed the 6.5L
Not getting a GEP block was my biggest disappointment when I received my M1123 from auction. I'm still very happy with the condition of the truck and it runs great, but it's got a 98 GM 506 block in a 2009 Melton rebuild. From what I understand, the 98 506 block is not the worst GM year, but they had their share of issues. I figure if it ever blows up, a used GEP motor will replace it.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Not getting a GEP block was my biggest disappointment when I received my M1123 from auction. I'm still very happy with the condition of the truck and it runs great, but it's got a 98 GM 506 block in a 2009 Melton rebuild. From what I understand, the 98 506 block is not the worst GM year, but they had their share of issues. I figure if it ever blows up, a used GEP motor will replace it.
My 1123 had an unmarked China block as a melton build, gave her LOTS of abuse and she happily took it. Ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My 1123 had an unmarked China block as a melton build, gave her LOTS of abuse and she happily took it. Ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn't decide... Happy for you that your truck did well and held up well, but a chinese block. Dang that's sad.

I have wondered how things will go when this country has outsourced almost everything. Might be that the day will come when we decide that somebody needs a military beating - and when them foreigners withhold the chips - our military will grind to a halt kinda like what we are seeing in russia...

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How exactly do you know it's a chinese block? Just curious as I hadn't heard of Melton using foreign blocks, as I'm pretty sure there aren't any approved vendors for the blocks or engine components over there, and that would be a breach of contract to do so.

aconway

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 861675
I just recently bought a very nice 2008 M1165A1, 6.5L Turbo with 4L80E Transmission. Not sure what the water pump needs to be, but I'm changing out the fan and want to go ahead and install a new WP while I'm in it. Planning to install without taking complete front end off. What is the part number and where can I get the correct pump at ?

I appreciate any information , as I am a NEW Hmmwv owner as of about 3 weeks ago :)) Going to love it too...

Also, where is the location of the engine ID so I can determine what motor/ design it is?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks