• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water Separator Filter Removal

America

Anyone have any tips or idea how to remove the filter from an MEP803a. It really is stuck on there.
The answer is just to turn it harder, Use a cheater bar and a strap wrench or similar. You might as well get a hole set of heavy duty strap wrench’s if you don’t have them. Don’t buy the ones at the big box stores they are too weak.

BobbyT

I just went out of my comfort zone of lots of filtration (and listening to @Guyfang about filters) on my 802a and just removed all the filters and replaced it with a single Racor water separating filter. I kept the 10 micron on it for the initial run after i went through everything, but have the 2 micron on it now. I moved the crank switch up to allow the new filter to mount in an easy to view/access spot. I just bent, cut and flared the original hard line and made all new rubber hoses from there on with Gates 1/4" hose and fuel injection clamps.

I think it should be plenty of filtration and now that its easy to see, drain or change, is a lot better than the original setup as far as user friendliness.

I'm all about making things simple and easy.

Attachments

BobbyT

They are rated for 15 gph, so it should be ok. I think the pump is rated at 25gph free flow. Seems to work good so far and has plenty of return flow to the tank. But i will keep an eye on it and can switch to the R20 series that's rated for 30gph if needed.

jstew0903

Changed mine yesterday. Went with a WIX 33472. The one issue I had is that the drain pepcock threads didn't seem to be the same on the factory filter as on the WIX. I was able to cheat thread it on and it seemed to seal bit I'd rather have the correct one. Does anyone know where I can get the correct one for the WIX? I did a fair amount of searching and came up with nothing.

Getting that original filter off was a pain. Ended up using a very large set of Channel locks.

Attachments

jstew0903

Thanks for the replies.

So do you just use the little plastic threaded plug to drain it? The little plastic plug doesn't seem functional/sturdy.

I think I might go the Marine style with the glass bowl. I'll have to figure out converting the hoses over.

jstew0903

I was just making the point that in my opinion the plastic plug in the threaded hole wasn't likely meant to be a permanent fixture. It's split down the middle on the threaded side. I think it's there to keep the paint out. I'm going to search for a pepcock that will work. I'll report back if I find one.

As always appreciate this group and it's knowledge.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks