• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the hood halves cleaned up and primed with DLP90 as well as the new hinge halves which, hopefully, will be riveted in tomorrow. Also did some repair work on my steering wheel with some epoxy filler and primed that also. Came out pretty good.

Hood-and-Hinge-Halves.jpgOther-Half.jpgSteering-Wheel.jpg

zout

At least TWM made a parts map of where he put everything - must be 3 dimensional cause I see stuff hanging on the rafters and on the walls and on the floor. Lloyd and I will have to pay attention to this technique.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boxed in by weather this morning so I took the hood halves and the new hinges over to a friend and we used his riveting press to attach each hinge half to the hood section. Press is usually used for brake bands but worked great on the hood. Need to sand the epoxy primer and set aside for my next OD painting session.

Rivet-Press.jpgPress-Closeup.jpgFinished-Hinge-Half.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably a good idea but the guy with the vest walks 4 miles each day he says the vest keep him from getting hit by those crazy Texas drivers. :driver:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went calf roping this morning and the calves back legs were somewhat elusive. Should have had a gun. :-D When I got home I was able to work on the rotted areas of one of my seat backs and then installed my carb linkage and mounted my coil and repaired starter. Hope my new battery cable comes Monday so I can fire the engine up.

Seat-Back-1.jpgSeat-Back-2.jpgSeat-Back-3.jpgCarb-Linkage.jpgCoil-Bracket-and-Starter.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the seat backs ready for epoxy primer today and will do the seat pans tomorrow. Did my first engine test today with the repaired starter. Started fine but the coil got very hot and I learned that I needed a resistor for the coil. I thought because it was a 12V coil, it was not necessary but I was wrong. Can you believe that. :-x So ran the engine about 10 minutes. Slight oil leak at the filter canister (fixed with new gasket) and checked out the temps. 164 at the heads and about 128 at the thermostat. Temperature gauge said 140 but I think that was a little low. Used a digital thermometer for the temps. Oil pressure at idle was a steady 40 psi. Here is a video of the engine test:

http://youtu.be/rMNsJ2qNz7o

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well with things getting boring on the WC-22 Preamble I thought I would jump over here for some excitement :)

zout

Hey Swiss - how's a come TWM does not get a detailed breakdown of his build thread - did you break your calculator ??
Better fix it before we start your CUCV here shortly.

TWM if Swiss starts nit picking your counts and posts - just ignore him - it appears to be a flaw in his personality :popcorn:(wonder how it does break down ??) When he comes over tonight I will give him some exlax to calm him down and chill. He can wash them down with a couple beers.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thread compared to your threads.....no contest. He could count my statistics on one hand. I will try to keep him entertained though. :smile:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I know one thing...I'm saving up for a round trip plane ticket to TX so I can fly down...er...over there and ride in that rascal when it's done!!
:papabear:

zout

CAMO fleet of WC's in the very near future - you'll need your own section at the 2013 Georgia Rally in October.

I can see the non-WC owners getting snubbed now. AHHHH - all ya own is a 5 ton or a bobbed 5 ton - big deal.:beer:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Noticed a slight oil leak at the front end after the engine test. Cannot tell whether it is the timing seal, timing gasket or front oil pan seal. Will take off the front cowl and motor mount and run it for a short period to see if I can locate it. I have a new timing cover gaskets kit on the way.

Today I cleaned rust preservative off the seat backs and pans and applied the PPG epoxy primer. Will try to get to the few areas needing body work this evening and hopefully can put of two coats of the OD tomorrow. :D

Primered-Seat-Back.jpgPrimered-Seat-Pans.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks