• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

L1A1

I restored a WC51 back in the 90's and had used a harness from VWoM. Think I paid around $600.00 dollars for it back then. I haven't looked but I'm assuming that they have gone up considerably? Stands to reason I guess as wires are made up of copper & copper is a traded commodity. I really liked the harness I got and have always thought it was the details in the resto (like the correct wiring) that make the truck. It's also easy to type that when the cost of said harness is not coming out of my bank account... If you can get the correct color coded wires & roll 'yer own, then maybe that's the way to go?

Tinwoodsman, you've done an outstanding job thrus far on your resto and I can really see both sides of the "harness" issue. I'm restoring a ferret & I'm going to have to scratch build a wiring harness for it which is something that I am not looking forward to at all..

Matt

o1951

I do not see the big deal. Plan, layout, wrap. the hardest part for me has been getting the correct wire and then wrapping it all with the black wrapping tape. If there is interest, I can explain what I have done. If you are not fussy on you resto - like Mr. Zout,roflroflroflYou could use the corrugated plastic tubing that they use in more modern cars and just cut and slip the wires in. Great when you need to add a wire later on.rofl

zout

OR - you could just Zip Tie them - and drive it - I can draw you a picture if you like - I can write you a memo how to install the Zip Ties - like I have seen other folks do - run them in a PVC tube - Copper tube - caulk them to the frame - bondo them in place - I have seen just about everything. Expect a BIG bag of Zip Ties UPS next week to ease your pain - just blame me.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will not give up on the Zip Ties will you Commander? Anyway, I am using the Prestolite wire like the Deuce has but I have original pigtails on all the lights. I also have 4 ' sections of heat shrink tubing in sizes from 1' down to 1/4" so that will encase the wires when I assemble the harness. Just waiting on the wire to finish the job. Can't afford the Zip Ties. :deadhorse:

o1951

I have original pigtails on all the lights. I also have 4 ' sections of heat shrink tubing in sizes from 1' down to 1/4" so that will encase the wires when I assemble the harness. Just waiting on the wire to finish the job. Can't afford the Zip Ties. [/QUOTE said:
Suggest you make a slight mod - since you have the pigtails, put plugs on them - will make any future repairs super easy. Watch out with heat shrink. When you fit the harness into the bends, the wires should be able to slip a bit against each other. If they cannot, harness will not fit nice, and looks like :oops: . Remember, inside wire has a shorter radius and path to travel - kinda like the inside wheel in a turn. You could have all the wires cut even to say a taillight, and when you are finished fitting it in place, you will find the ends are different lengths, depending on which was on the outside and inside of the bends. Plan ahead - are you going to add turn signals? Are you going to use a more powerful horn? Look at Zout's pix - just about the best work I have seen.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good points. My plan it to use Packard or bullet connectors for the lights. As for the harness itself, my plan was to install and connect all wires with the heat shrink loosely in place and when everything is adjusted, shrink the sleeves. I do not believe it would be any more restricting that a tightly wrapped harness sheath. As for Zout, he is my sounding board on most things and has taught me much in the past two years. He has forgotten more that I will ever know and, thankfully, it willing to share his knowledge.

zout

I was just checking you to see if you would rush at the last minute - glad you held your ground TWM - you da man. I know your going to finish everything off right and you will have PRESTINE ride. Keep them pics coming.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soldier B is out of town until tomorrow and today was one of those days where everything in sight decided to fall apart. Spent most of the day repairing and reprogramming the gate opener. Did some clean up on the windshield outer frame while waiting for the inner frame which is supposed to arrive tomorrow along with the wires needed to work on the harness. Also did final cleaning on the bucket seat retainer latch, the cowl to cab rods, the engine compartment side panels, the tranny tunnel and the cab floor pans. Got those into epoxy primer this evening.

Seat-Clip-Bracket,-Tranny-T.jpgWindshield-Frame.jpgSide-Panels.jpgFloor-Pans.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I tell ya what, when TWM is done there will be lots of folks singing his praises...well...that is until some eastern bear steals the WC!!aua

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, the wire came in today and I got the harness formed and covered and installed along the drivers side chassis rail. Terminated tailight and trailer connector wires and will start on the firewall terminations tomorrow. When I am done I will install one (1) ceremonious zip tie in honor of Commander Warp just to let him know I value his input.

:grd:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
So, the wire came in today and I got the harness formed and covered and installed along the drivers side chassis rail. Terminated tailight and trailer connector wires and will start on the firewall terminations tomorrow. When I am done I will install one (1) ceremonious zip tie in honor of Commander Warp just to let him know I value his input. :grd:
You are a truly good troop Sir!! Might I recommend a nice pink zip tie?:papabear:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Completed the harness work today with the exception of the connections for the headlights, B/O parking lights and the B/O drive light. Wires are run but the lights are not installed yet. Every circuit tested good except the brake switch circuits which have not be tested yet. Here are some photos:

Rear-Harness-Connections.jpgChassis-Harness.jpgJunctions-Block-Connections.jpgJunction-Block.jpg

zout

I bet he hides it where no one will ever see it - tucked away - covered up - and painted over to look like wires The bumperetts are on up side down