• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weighed my bobbed Deuce this morning.......

MO MV man

Hello, Mo MV Man,

Your bobbed truck sure looks good. I'd like to know more about it. Did you notice my post on April 10:

"Hello,

I am new to Steel Soldiers. I was wondering if anyone on the forum might be able to help me find a deuce-and-a-half that was for sale at the Ozarks Antique Auto Swap Meet in Springfield, Missouri. It can be seen on this link:
Other Random Car Sightings - Page 750

It was parked along the back row about in the middle of the road. That is all I know. I am trying to find the owner's contact information to determine if it might be for sale.

If anyone can help me, I would sure appreciate it. If you want to reach me outside the forum, please email me at karo@kds.phxcoxmail.com or (602) 809-6666 cell.

Thanks,

Kevin Schwartz"

The swap meet was held in Springerville, Missouri. I am trying hard to find the man who sold this deuce at the meet or afterwards. I have been looking for something just like it. As you are in Missouri also and obviously love the same kind of truck, do you happen to know who the seller is? Wish we could talk on the phone, but when I've left my cell phone number and email address, it has always been redacted by the moderator. Please le me know if you've seen this truck and if you know how I could reach the guy who was selling it. I understand he sold it and sold another one too.

Thanks alot,

Kevin Schwartz
Hi Kevin,

Man, that was a monster!
Those are definitely not 44" tires. I'm thinking 52's?
A 352 Ford motor? Well, that's an interesting swap. :)

But alas, I have no knowledge of that rig.
Sorry about that.
I'm far from Springfield, too.

I wish you the best of luck in your search and rest assured if I hear anything about it, you'll be the first to know.

jake1086

Hey everyone, I hate to bring this back from the dead, but I'm looking at buying a nice electric warn winch but I come across a problem... do you think a 10,000 line pull would be stout enough? or if I buy this should I just use a snatch block as well... I guess what I'm really wondering is what does 10,000 lb/ line pull mean? alright off to drive the deuce at a gravel pit I'll have go pro vid if you boys wanna see.

Flat Black

Wrong thread, but here is your answer.

A 10,000 pound line pull means there is a "fuse" somewhere in the winch that will prevent it from pulling once that set amount is exceeded. Probably not down to the pound, but you can't pull 12,000 pounds with a 10,000 pound winch. There is a load sensor, clutch, temperature sensor or something in a properly designed winch that prevents it from being overloaded typically.

If you are stuck in the mud (example) and run YOUR winch cable out to a snatch block attached to a tree and run YOUR winch cable back to YOUR truck, you have NOT created any mechanical advantage. This is a common misconception, i.e. people think this doubles their pulling power and/or helps them get unstuck. This is simply not true, it's just physics. Get a piece of string or rope and wrap it around a post, sofa leg, etc. Hold the ends of the rope with each or your hands and "saw" back and forth. Your hands move at the same rate.

A snatch block in this example is only acting as a direction change. Move one hand out to one side and pull on the string with each hand, same result. The ONLY way to create a 2:1 mechanical advantage with ONE winch and ONE snatch block is to have the snatch block attached to YOUR truck and someone else winching you out with THEIR winch. You do not use your winch at all in this example.

Once again, if you are stuck in the mud and use your winch and your snatch block to winch yourself out, there is no mechanical advantage created. If your 10,000 truck is not recoverable with a 10,000 pound winch (properly rated cable and hardware, maximum winch capacity, last layer of cable, etc.) then you could use TWO snatch blocks to double your pulling power, though length of cable can become an issue with compound pulls such as this.

A deuce weighs 10,000 - 15,000 pounds depending on configuration, mods, etc. If it is buried up to its axles in mud or sand, extraction could easily exceed the capacity of the winch in order to extract it. The off roading world has has extraction tables of sorts to help you calculate the force needed depending on terrain, slope and other factours:

http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/resources/winchworksheet/index.html

jake1086

Wrong thread, but here is your answer.

A 10,000 pound line pull means there is a "fuse" somewhere in the winch that will prevent it from pulling once that set amount is exceeded. Probably not down to the pound, but you can't pull 12,000 pounds with a 10,000 pound winch. There is a load sensor, clutch, temperature sensor or something in a properly designed winch that prevents it from being overloaded typically.

If you are stuck in the mud (example) and run YOUR winch cable out to a snatch block attached to a tree and run YOUR winch cable back to YOUR truck, you have NOT created any mechanical advantage. This is a common misconception, i.e. people think this doubles their pulling power and/or helps them get unstuck. This is simply not true, it's just physics. Get a piece of string or rope and wrap it around a post, sofa leg, etc. Hold the ends of the rope with each or your hands and "saw" back and forth. Your hands move at the same rate.

A snatch block in this example is only acting as a direction change. Move one hand out to one side and pull on the string with each hand, same result. The ONLY way to create a 2:1 mechanical advantage with ONE winch and ONE snatch block is to have the snatch block attached to YOUR truck and someone else winching you out with THEIR winch. You do not use your winch at all in this example.

Once again, if you are stuck in the mud and use your winch and your snatch block to winch yourself out, there is no mechanical advantage created. If your 10,000 truck is not recoverable with a 10,000 pound winch (properly rated cable and hardware, maximum winch capacity, last layer of cable, etc.) then you could use TWO snatch blocks to double your pulling power, though length of cable can become an issue with compound pulls such as this.

A deuce weighs 10,000 - 15,000 pounds depending on configuration, mods, etc. If it is buried up to its axles in mud or sand, extraction could easily exceed the capacity of the winch in order to extract it. The off roading world has has extraction tables of sorts to help you calculate the force needed depending on terrain, slope and other factours:

Thanks for pointing out this is not the proper thread I only ask since I found this thread searching for my weight so I know what winch to buy. Thank you for the input by the way, however I believe you are wrong. The two different scenarios you provided are exactly the same, if a snatch block is involved the amount moved will be halved there by doubling the force.
Whether the applied force is put upon my truck by my truck or by another there are still 3 forces in the system instead of only two equal but opposite forces. So if I tie off to a tree the snatch block to the tree line has let's say the weight of my deuce 10,000 lb, but the force from my snatch block to my truck has two smaller forces of 5000 each one is going to the winch. I'll move half as fast, with half as much force. I could be wrong, I'm not opposed to the idea I am but you need to explain it better to me if you're positive your right :)

nk14zp

wrong thread, but here is your answer.

If you are stuck in the mud (example) and run your winch cable out to a snatch block attached to a tree and run your winch cable back to your truck, you have not created any mechanical advantage. This is a common misconception, i.e. People think this doubles their pulling power and/or helps them get unstuck. This is simply not true, it's just physics. Get a piece of string or rope and wrap it around a post, sofa leg, etc. Hold the ends of the rope with each or your hands and "saw" back and forth. Your hands move at the same rate.

A snatch block in this example is only acting as a direction change. Move one hand out to one side and pull on the string with each hand, same result. The only way to create a 2:1 mechanical advantage with one winch and one snatch block is to have the snatch block attached to your truck and someone else winching you out with their winch. You do not use your winch at all in this example.

Once again, if you are stuck in the mud and use your winch and your snatch block to winch yourself out, there is no mechanical advantage created. If your 10,000 truck is not recoverable with a 10,000 pound winch (properly rated cable and hardware, maximum winch capacity, last layer of cable, etc.) then you could use two snatch blocks to double your pulling power, though length of cable can become an issue with compound pulls such as this.

wrong.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks