• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weight carrying capacity of a bobbed deuce!?!

phil2968

This is how flat my springs got after I put a multifuel in a can on the bed. I would not have thought they would have flattened out that much seeing has the front springs have the same engine plus a transmission sitting on them. The engine in the can may have been setting farther back or over the springs more than the fronts. Plus the weight of the can! They have plenty of arch without that much weight on them.
It is rare that I will ever put anything that heavy on this truck again. I could but that is not what this truck is for. It is for playing and general driving, not for hauling.

Attachments

M-1028

I'd put 4200 lbs in the bed of a bobbed deuce, just get the load in the bed right. I'm around 4000lbs on my F450 when my camper is hooked to it. Whether the deuce is rated for it or not, it's parts are double the size of my pickup's, if it drives and stops good, I'd roll with it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'd put 4200 lbs in the bed of a bobbed deuce, just get the load in the bed right. I'm around 4000lbs on my F450 when my camper is hooked to it. Whether the deuce is rated for it or not, it's parts are double the size of my pickup's, if it drives and stops good, I'd roll with it.
The above plan WILL work right up to the time something happens, then lawyers will send you THANK YOU notes,

neil2007

It's not your standard cj2a! :) Custom built and scaled up to fit a Cj7 chassis. Approximately 14" of lift... 37" Boggers locked and ready to rock! But yes, you are correct a standard Cj2a is nowhere near 4200lbs!!! :)

M-1028

The above plan WILL work right up to the time something happens, then lawyers will send you THANK YOU notes,
There is no difference if I'm driving an all original empty deuce, and something happens. Seems every time a modified or weighted down deuce is discussed it will kill a bus load of nuns if it's put on the public roads. The fact is most of the military vehicles on this site are very old and very heavy. So if someone has no knowledge of how to properly drive and maintain the truck, that is much more dangerous than a lot of the knowledgeable people on this site who modify and use there truck that may be at or above it's intended purpose.

Dodge man

It's not your standard cj2a! :) Custom built and scaled up to fit a Cj7 chassis. Approximately 14" of lift... 37" Boggers locked and ready to rock! But yes, you are correct a standard Cj2a is nowhere near 4200lbs!!! :)
Worthless without pictures! Owner of '58 CJ-5, '66 CJ-5 and '53 USMC M38A1. :beer:

3dAngus

So that's where my yard went. I want it back. :-D

On the more serious side, for those of you interested, a yard of dirt can vary from 1800 pounds to 3000 pounds, with a 2000 pound average. Clays weigh more, and moisture content will make it rise significantly.

I would estimate 3 yards to be 6000 pounds without any other information.

3 yards of dry sand would weigh about 2600 pounds each, while a yard of mud might be closer to 3000 pounds per yard.

neil2007

Worthless without pictures! Owner of '58 CJ-5, '66 CJ-5 and '53 USMC M38A1. :beer:
Always happy to supply pics to keep a thread from becoming worthless! :beer:

101_0721.jpgDSC00214.jpg

The one in black is playing at Redbird OHV park. The second is all cleaned up and repainted for the S.E.M.A. convention in Indy in 2005!

Enjoy!

Neil

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There is no difference if I'm driving an all original empty deuce, and something happens. Seems every time a modified or weighted down deuce is discussed it will kill a bus load of nuns if it's put on the public roads. The fact is most of the military vehicles on this site are very old and very heavy. So if someone has no knowledge of how to properly drive and maintain the truck, that is much more dangerous than a lot of the knowledgeable people on this site who modify and use there truck that may be at or above it's intended purpose.
The DIFFERENCE is that there is a DESIGN and ENGINEERING trail back to about 1946 for a 2 1/2 ton THREE axle 6x6 military cargo truck, this DOCUMENTATION details and specified EVERY part, it specified the uses, non uses, capabilities. this DOCUMENTATION will hold up in any court in the land

Show any DESIGN and ENGINEERING DOCUMENTATION, DOT documentation (NEW build) that will support a BACKYARD bobber build, (even a fab shop build is considered a back yard build WITHOUT DESIGN and ENGINEERING}, so in other words the taking of a well designed, engineered, speced part specified truck, converting it to a UNDOCUMENTED bobber is putting EVERYTHING on the driver/owner because there is NOTHING as far as DESIGN and ENGINEERING/SAFETY DOCUMENTATION, DOT documentation to support that the bobber build should even be on the road.

MAYBE, again MAYBE building to XM381 DOCUMENTATION may be a way to build but the arguement will then be that if the military DID NOT think it should be built and on the road (no matter the reason), what makes someone think they have BETTER ideas then the military that has ALL the money in the world to research.

Again the lawyers will LOVE a BOBBER event, no matter whose fault it is

Last edited:

quickfarms

One big problem you will have with a bobbed deuce is that you have removed one axle and effectively reduced the braking capacity by 33%. A good lawyer will argue that the GVW has been reduced by 33% due to the reduced braking capacity.

JasonS

The DIFFERENCE is that there is a DESIGN and ENGINEERING trail back to about 1946 for a 2 1/2 ton THREE axle 6x6 military cargo truck, this DOCUMENTATION details and specified EVERY part, it specified the uses, non uses, capabilities. this DOCUMENTATION will hold up in any court in the land

Show any DESIGN and ENGINEERING DOCUMENTATION, DOT documentation (NEW build) that will support a BACKYARD bobber build, (even a fab shop build is considered a back yard build WITHOUT DESIGN and ENGINEERING}, so in other words the taking of a well designed, engineered, speced part specified truck, converting it to a UNDOCUMENTED bobber is putting EVERYTHING on the driver/owner because there is NOTHING as far as DESIGN and ENGINEERING/SAFETY DOCUMENTATION, DOT documentation to support that the bobber build should even be on the road.

MAYBE, again MAYBE building to XM381 DOCUMENTATION may be a way to build but the arguement will then be that if the military DID NOT think it should be built and on the road (no matter the reason), what makes someone think they have BETTER ideas then the military that has ALL the money in the world to research.

Again the lawyers will LOVE a BOBBER event, no matter whose fault it is
Get a blanket liability policy if you are afraid to leave the house.

M-1028

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. Me plowing into a car with a stock deuce and a bobbed one is going to make absolutely no difference if that person wants to sue me. People get sued all the time while driving normal vehicles, happened to family members and a very good friend of mine. A bobbed deuce with a jeep in the bed is no different than someone pulling my camper with a single wheel truck, as far as liability. I suggest you never modify your vehicles and wrap yourself in bubble wrap to cushion the blow when some idiot plows into your vehicle, seems more likely.

JasonS

I took my truck in person and explained what I had done. None of the three agents with whom I met had ANY problems with the truck. The county office had NO problem with it; they only care if you add an axle.

3dAngus

I took my truck in person and explained what I had done. None of the three agents with whom I met had ANY problems with the truck. The county office had NO problem with it; they only care if you add an axle.

Thank you. I was going to stay out of this insanity about how insurance works and all the hoopla about what lawyers will and won't do, purely speculative and made up, until you returned some sanity to the board.

Look at the tens of thousands of Model T's going back to the 50s. Never inspected, always insured. That is the way it works. You insure the vehicle for cost, but it is the drivers who they want to insure more then the vehicles.

I would rather insure a completely modified Model T as a Hot Rod/Rat Rod then a driver who drives a wrecker on dry rot tires.

It is the driver, more then the vehicle, a company wants to insure or not. So long as the vehicle meets all the criteria of the state and the county, there are no issues in insuring, especially the liabilty end, where it is governed by the State Insurance Commissioner within your State. If you ever have a problem with the insurance company, set up an appointment with the State Insurance Commissioner, and bring your completely unemotional, level headed, and fact filled complaint to him and he will make sure the insurance company will comply within all of the states laws in insuring you or he will issue an injuction against them with a warning where they may be ushered out of the state if necessary. My State Insurance commissioner makes trips to different parts of the state about once a month to make it easier for people to meet up with him rather then traveling all the way to Atlanta.

Most of the stuff we're hearing on this thread is made up fabrications. Put on ignore.

Operating a wrecker commercially, where your tires hit the pavement pulling a friend, (you are NOT insured for this unless your costs quadruples, as a minimum), or a deuce pulling a deuce with a towbar, are of far bigger concerns then anything we're hearing here.

Let's keep things in perspective here.

I think I would opt to trailer that vehicle on a trailer with brakes, then put it on top of a bobber.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks