• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weight carrying capacity of a bobbed deuce!?!

phil2968

Hello!!!

I'm looking to bob my deuce but am wondering if it will have the carrying capacity to carry my Willy's CJ2A Trail Rig. I would think it would, but I figured I'd ask those more in the know than I!

I would have a custom bed that would center the Willy's over the rear axle. The weight of the Willy's is around 4200 lbs when it's not coated in a thick gooey coating of Indiana Clay Mud! :D

What do ya'll think??

Thanks for your time!

Neil
I think this thread has lost it's way. The op did not ask about insurance.
If you look at the pics I posted of my bobber with stock front deuce springs in the rear, You'll see what happens when too much weight is behind the rear axle. Keep with a longer wheelbase and let the front springs help carry the load.

phil2968

The bed of my bobbed deuce General Granite box was made to haul a suzuki in it. the tail gate was made to be basically a bed extension. If you are going to have it sit down to reduce the overal height, what are you going to do with the fuel tank?
Yeah, that would be him there! I knew he was here somewhere!

neil2007

The bed of my bobbed deuce General Granite box was made to haul a suzuki in it. the tail gate was made to be basically a bed extension. If you are going to have it sit down to reduce the overal height, what are you going to do with the fuel tank?
I will also be repowering with a fuel injected V8 351 Windsor with a 4 speed Auto.... This would mean that I need a higher pressure fuel pump than what I have currently on the deuce, so I'm going to be using the donor vehicles fuel tank and mount it between the frame rails (if possible). If that's not possible, then I'll go with a fuel cell and external pump setup like I did on my '74 Bronco (5.0 swap from a Mustang GT).

Neil

Dipstick

My bobbed Deuce weighed in at 11,440 on a certified truck scale. It's a drop side. The axle weights were 6200 front and 5240 rear. The folks that bobbed it used front axle springs at the rear. I'm thinking of buying an extra upper leaf or two from a front spring pair and inserting them into the rear springs on my truck with slightly longer u-bolts and spring retainers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks