• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird Electrical Problem

Bravo2Uniform

I just had a no start problem that was resolved with the doghead relay install. It was pretty cool to trouble shoot through the problem with everyone's input and the TMs. I feel like I accomplished something. Apparently my M1009 wants me to keep working because now I have another basket of problems.

Here we go:

When I start up, my WTS, H2O in Fuel and Voltmeter no longer work. I checked and the bulbs are good and the voltmeter contacts arced when I was taking the dash apart.

Gen 2 light is intermittantly blinking.

Another oddity is that the turn signals will activate without the key in the ignition.

My fuel gauge is active, too, but I don't know if it did that before the present weirdness or not.

I checked the fuses and all seemed to be ok, including # 12, which should control the Voltmeter

Last edited:

BIG_RED

My turn signals always work without the key in. I wouldn't be too concerned about the water in fuel light, I just check mine every so often. (replaced my filter system with a spin on and didn't want to pay $80 for the sensor). But, if you like it: there is a 3 prong plug that comes out of your fuel filter/water seperator unit and connects to the wiring behind the engine - that might be loose. That goes to the WIF light. I'd check the main connection between the cluster and the truck if more than one light is giving you trouble. Sometimes cleaning the contacts helps. Good Luck!

Crash_AF

If the voltmeter arced to the metal dash, it's probably blown now. Happened to mine too although it blew the fuse then worked for an hour before dying completely. Check for 24V on the wires to the gauge with the key on. If there's voltage there, the gauge is bad, if there's not, the Bosch relay is the next to check. It's by the starter relay under the dash with the Gen 2 relay.

On the alternator, it's either a bad connection or failing. What voltage is it putting out? Pull off the small connector on top of the alternator and make sure both terminals are clean and the connection there is tight.

Later,
Joe

Bravo2Uniform

Update

Still trouble shooting. Have the dash completely off and can find no break in the wiring. I know it is there...

Any body got any ideas what circuit the WTS, GEN 2, Water in Fuel could all be on?

Crash_AF

The color wire that those circuits have in common is the pink wire with the black tracer that feeds 12V ignition on power to most circuits. The problem with that theory is that that circuit also turns on the Gen2 light by powering the Gen2 relay. If that light comes on with the key on engine off, then it's probably not that circuit.

Later,
Joe

Bravo2Uniform

Solved!

Went back to the schematic one last time before bed. Had a eurika moment...ran outside and looked...I had removed a 20 amp fuse from the panel and misplaced it...so it was all just a fuse!

Now I have a clean driver console, though.

I have seen it written here that in troubleshooting you should start at the begining...and restarting with the schematic qucikly resolved my oops.