• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well, I done did it. Won a m1078. Need to get it home... In Wahington - any suggesti

spankybear

Well it seem that the person is a FLAKE!!! He told me he would have this picked up first thing this morning. I can not even get a hold of him now. I have no idea if he has picked it up or what...This is turning into a nightmare. Needless say I am pissed.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It happens with random haulers. Such is life. Post it up on uship see what happens. How far is it from you? Short distances you can sometime hire a local heavy wrecker company.

spankybear

Around 130 miles or so. Not too far but far enough I would need to take some time off work to deal with in person.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I would try uship. Or start calling around heavy wrecker companies in your area or the area where the truck is. Even the 4x4 is around 16k lbs so you need someone familiar with heavy trucks. It can be towed with a heavy wrecker just have to pull the driveshaft on the axle that’s on the ground.

spankybear

I would try uship. Or start calling around heavy wrecker companies in your area or the area where the truck is. Even the 4x4 is around 16k lbs so you need someone familiar with heavy trucks. It can be towed with a heavy wrecker just have to pull the driveshaft on the axle that’s on the ground.
Thanks for the tip about uship... I did call a few wrecker companies last week. Most where like "dose it have keys" "year, make and model" "Never heard of that" I even called the tow companies around Ft Lewis are they where at a loss.. Only one seem so understand what I wanted but it was like 200 buck an hour. Then the local dude called back and was hot to do it. But, well... guess that was so last week.

319cssb

If the pick up point is within 100 miles from home, sign up with AAA Premium a week minimum before pickup. Then get to the base early, before your arranged pickup time and call AAA and tell them your truck (true, you bought it) won't start (also true) tell them you're sure it's not a jump start issue and you want it towed . Tell them it's on base and their contract driver needs to be familiar with getting past the instant background check .Tell them the tow truck needs to be able to handle a Hummer H1 (sort of true).

Worked for me! I got my M998 home for $125 plus a nice fat tip for the driver considering the extra time he spent getting on base and probably lost a call while fiddling with me so long .

Bulldogger
AAA with premium will NOT tow it. I know that from experience.

snowtrac nome

I have a call into a buddy I have down there to see if he has the equipment to trailer it for you, and to see if he wants the job of moving it. will let you know when he gets back to me. its a little out of the scope of what he does, but he is a hustler and wants to keep his drivers working.

Boarder04

Trucking in the puget sound area is hot right now. I imagine very few trucking companies would want to deal with it, as it isn't running. Who have you tried?

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A tow at 200 an hour doesn’t seem so bad. 600 to get it home. It’s such a short haul and they often come with minimums exceeding that. After you buy some parts for it, 600 will seem cheap. Cost me 3300 to get mine home.

spankybear

It's here... WooHoo... Good news is no hole in the transmission! Looks good but the apes at GP dented the crap out the front :x... and it look like someone monkeyed with the relays/fuse box... One thing I look at when I was looking.

As of right now I need batteries and a voltage gauge. I know where to get batteries anybody have a lead on a volt meter?

Pictures and more details to come...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carefully check that the relays are in the right spots. I got an M1078 recently where relays were moved around (24V relays in 12V spots and vice versa). I suspect that someone tried to sabotage my truck since it was listed as "would not start" and yet it was a recently rebuilt truck. I find it hard to believe that even an 18 year old Army mechanic would put relays in the wrong locations. Once I tested the relays, and replaced the bad ones, the truck started right up.

spankybear

Did you check the engine/trans fluids? Does it run?
Need 2 batteries. Didn't pull the dipsticks yet but looked at the coolant and that looks good. I have a feeling this truck will run once I get a couple of batteries. The truck looks to be in really good condition and the engine and trans looks clean. The body looks better that I was expecting minus the huge fresh dent the gorillas at the yard did. I Knew the grill was screw up but other than that it's good. I didn't see anything really missing besides the volt gauge and the batteries but I have to get a better look. Having bought trucks out of Lewis in the past... I know they like to take parts. The two batteries seems to be charging and look good on the internal resistance check. It was a Washing not National Gard Truck. I think this was a runner and they took apart/bent the dash to get too the volt gauge. Then they took 2 batteries. This is why they didn't try to start i believe.

If it runs like I think it will I did OK with this. I have to work this weekend so I won't be doing too much... But then again maybe i will and just forgo sleep... I may have to stop by interstate batteries on my way home tomorrow and hope they have some blem 6T batteries.

coachgeo

congrats. As others have said in here.... at times (minus things scavenged) what was left undone or hastily slapped back together is a hint of the point where they reached the end of their rope/confusion on what the problem was, or where they decided the fix was not worth their time with that truck and decided to dump her off to auction land. As you find hints like this look deep and close to attempt to find what they saw and go from there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks