• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Went to replace air compressor filter, what is this i broke? Pics

I got one of those all in one kits with all the filters including air filter kit. I dont know much about air compressors but i know these were designed to be hooked up with a 3/4" hose to the air box so i assumed this was where the are filter might be. I wasnt positive so i stuck my pinky finger up there to try to feel and i felt a plate and dislodged it. i assume this to be some sort of check valve for the compressor air inlet. I have also had some oil coming out of it and dripping down onto the injection pump.

I took it apart to see what it was i had moved with my finger and to see if i could find a filter or the source of the oil leak and this is what i found. The 'cork slinky' was broken into 3 pieces. I removed the 2 broken pieces and it was making a sound as if the valve wasnt sealing, after running a couple minutes it seemed to seal itself. i am not sure i put it back together correctly, i just put it back together the way it came out. The kit i had bought had one of those threaded brass/bead air filters like on most air compressors

Do they make a rebuild kit for it? Anyone know what the part number is for it or who might have one? I know check the manuals i will be doing that but i am unsure of what damage this may be causing leaving it like this. Also, just where is the filter on this compressor :)

Attachments

Last edited:
I thought it used to be one part haha. Thank you very much i found the same one on ebay you showed me for sale as well so i will be ordering that.

Can i run it without this part?

DieselBob

I wouldn't run it any more than necessary. Although not quite as critical as for the engine it will suck in dust and dirt and can score the cylinder.

Thanks ill refraine from driving it. I just noticed a nice 3" carpenter nail sticking out of one of my outside tires. Are inner tubes expensive for these trucks? Are they something a truck or tractor place would commonly have? Can they be patched?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The inner tubes are not expensive. Make sure you get one that will work with bias-ply tires. It is such a pain to replace the inner tube, I always replace mine rather than patch. In many cases deuce inner tubes may be decades old. I always buy a new tube - I never use NOS tubes that may have been sitting around on a shelf for years.

I am unfamiliar with highway tube tires. will my local tractor tire place have them or will most truck tire service centers have them? Will i just need to give them the size on the tire and load rating?

DieselBob

About any decent truck tire shop will have the tubes or get them easy. Should be around $20 for a new tube. Sense you have to break down the tire to repair a tube of questionable heritage I would just put in a new tube. Might consider a flap also if you are unsure of the condition of the one in the tire now. 2cents

Oh ok yeah we have some good truck and tractor tire places around here so i will just give them a call. i can just remove the wheel and bring it to them one day. I seen some of my rims are split on one side, would this make it easier for me to replace the inner tube myself?

DieselBob

You can do them yourself but if done incorrectly you could kill yourself, literally. For the $15~20 bucks most tire guys charge to dismount and remount a lock ring tire I just don't see any reason to do it yourself.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought that was an Espresso machine(last pic)!

Heavysteven

Sorry disregard where I am pointing its a file photo. The filter housing is the big green thing center of photo.

I guess it's there to keep tension on the filter.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh ok yeah we have some good truck and tractor tire places around here so i will just give them a call. i can just remove the wheel and bring it to them one day. I seen some of my rims are split on one side, would this make it easier for me to replace the inner tube myself?
All of your rims have a split ring on one side. Seeing as how you're not too knowledgeable in this area, it's best to have the tire shop fix it. These things can kill you if you don't know what you're doing.

DieselBob

The spring for the compressor filter is to keep pressure on the filter to hold it firmly against the mounting surface inside the filter housing. The metal plate is a separate piece in mine.

Attachments

Oh haha i assembled it wrong. actually it was wrong to begin with because because the plate was on the bottom. I have the spring in the middle of the filter, plate on the bottom, thats the way i saw it come off though. i ordered a complete assembly though since mine was damaged.