• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

We're Baaaaaack!

hunderliggur

Someone asked me today where to get a military trailer connector for his civy truck so he can hook up his MIL trailer. I didn't know of anywhere other than SS to find the right stuff! As an IT nerd I feel your pain!

kurtkds

I too was starting to have withdraw issues.:(

To distract myself I took care of some small projects on my OD iron. Thank god the weather was nice.

Patracy I too feel your pain and share your stress of having people depending on you for making their life easier.:beer:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, it was a solar flare that erupted and fried the noffer trunion in the server.

That issue was quickly resolved but the newly installed noffer trunion unit was rejected by the web's phase detractor and therefore the web page would not load.

The staff was able to use a combination of geek tactics, voodoo, and magic spells to get the systems sychronized and back on track.

Sorta like house cleaning.
We're back up.

The short of it...

CPU fan died and took down the server. We were dead in the water until the hardware was repaired. When the server came back up, some of the software was corrupted. (PHP) Got that reinstalled, then had some other issues afterwards. We're back up and running now. I just re-enabled all the hooks and add ons to the site.

I've still got a few things to address behind the scenes.

Also I'm sorry for all the people that have tried to email me. The site was emailing me 61 times a minute (Once per second). So a lot of people probably were getting error messages when they tried emailing me.
We need a means to handle withdrawal symptons if this should ever happen again. Going cold turkey is rough. Thanks for getting it fixed.
It's great to be back. I'd like to thank our Admin, Patracy, our server host, Graham, and our consultants, Shane and Andre, for their tireless efforts over the last few days.
This is good news. I bet the last few days PATRACY was under serious pressure and I am sure has not had a good nights sleep.

Thank you Patracy for your hard work, dedication and perseverance.
I cannot take all the credit. All of the staff helped on this one.

At least I'll get a good nights sleep tonight. I've been staying up late the past few nights until I just passed out glaring over config files and installing/uninstalling things. Again, sorry for the extended outage.
Pretty much was is state of shock over here! First six virus's and a trojan over the weekend for laptop. Then SS went down. Thought problem was on my end till message came up today. Thanks to all who worked very hard to get us back up and running! Back reaching out to those that can help. Maybe Chaplain can offer a proper prayer?
I thought the zombie apocolypse was upon us lol Glad SS is back up and running Thanks to all the SS Crew yall rock :beer:
Thanks to all of you guys that keep this site up and running.:beer:
This was a TEST. It was ONLY A TEST. IF this had been an actuall SHTF EVENT you would have been "up the creek without a paddle". The only option at that point would have been to depend upon your BOY SCOUT MOTTO - "BE PREPARED".

Ladies and Gentlement:
Let us PRAY:

Dear Lord:
You, Heavenly Father know our hearts. You know all of the efforts and behind the scenes sweat and tears that went in to reviving the hardware and software that make this site "happen". You know the integrity and skill of the fine support staff who worked so hard to resurrect what Satan and Mr. Murphy conspired to corrupt. Thank you for Your intervention and answers to MANY prayers. Thank you for all the fine people who help this site's "heart" keep beating.
God, we ask that those who now know the intensity of their "addictions" will find appropriate distractions and alternate interests and channels for their energies... Just in case another SHTF even were to descend upon us.
Help us to be "good Boy Scouts" and to learn from this experience. Guide us to appropriate Contingency Plans, and help us to not take this site for granted. Show us how best to communicate in the event of infrastructure collapse - on both the site-level and failure of "The Grid".
Thank YOU, "Daddy", for giving us this SteelSoldiers "playground" full of fun, friendship, information, and good humor.
We ask now that you that You shroud every aspect and member & visitor of this site with Your ever-loving care and protection.
Amen.

So....

What are the Communications Contingencies?
Cell Phones, Texting, Land Lines, FaceBook, Smoke Signals... ?

What COPING SKILLS did you use for your withdrawl experience(s)?
BTW: Counselling IS available in you need it - Just PM me.

What else has this SHTF Event revealed to us???

Praise God for the answered prayers and return of the SS Site.

Jesse6325

Man, One doesn't realize what a valuable resource SS is until it's down.
I came within an ace of e mailing Patracy on what was going on but decided that he probably had his hands full and did not need another "SS is down,,, AAAAAHHH!" e mail,,
Thank you alll who worked so dilligently to get SS back online!:-D

196thprober

This was a TEST. It was ONLY A TEST. IF this had been an actuall SHTF EVENT you would have been "up the creek without a paddle". The only option at that point would have been to depend upon your BOY SCOUT MOTTO - "BE PREPARED".

Ladies and Gentlement:
Let us PRAY:

Dear Lord:
You, Heavenly Father know our hearts. You know all of the efforts and behind the scenes sweat and tears that went in to reviving the hardware and software that make this site "happen". You know the integrity and skill of the fine support staff who worked so hard to resurrect what Satan and Mr. Murphy conspired to corrupt. Thank you for Your intervention and answers to MANY prayers. Thank you for all the fine people who help
this site's "heart" keep beating.

AMEN BROTHER!
God, we ask that those who now know the intensity of their "addictions" will find appropriate distractions and alternate interests and channels for their energies... Just in case another SHTF even were to descend upon us.
Help us to be "good Boy Scouts" and to learn from this experience. Guide us to appropriate Contingency Plans, and help us to not take this site for granted. Show us how best to communicate in the event of infrastructure collapse - on both the site-level and failure of "The Grid".
Thank YOU, "Daddy", for giving us this SteelSoldiers "playground" full of fun, friendship, information, and good humor.
We ask now that you that You shroud every aspect and member & visitor of this site with Your ever-loving care and protection.
Amen.

So....

What are the Communications Contingencies?
Cell Phones, Texting, Land Lines, FaceBook, Smoke Signals... ?

What COPING SKILLS did you use for your withdrawl experience(s)?
BTW: Counselling IS available in you need it - Just PM me.

What else has this SHTF Event revealed to us???

Praise God for the answered prayers and return of the SS Site.
May i say; AMEN BROTHER!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was very therapeutic for me. I was able to conduct some things without the dreaded "Reported Post" alarm going off every minute. I was also able to figure out that I no longer have a need for any deuces. Going to concentrate on the CUCVs

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to all for getting SS back up and running. There's something amazing about being connected to others with the same addiction as me. I don't feel so alone! :cookoo:

I'm a computer tech and I know all too well how painful it is to have a server go Tango Uniform {shudder}. I'm thankful I upgraded to the Premium Membership to support this site prior to the server experiencing technical difficulties. I encourage everyone that wants to keep SS going to upgrade your membership. The extra $$ received can go towards an upgraded server infrastructure. Replacement servers cost thousands of $$. Building a fail over cluster server environment takes time and energy. Let's keep our OD Iron and SS rolling!!! [thumbzup]

My 2cents

Rubenk

Glad the site is back!

HOWEVER, I too, got an overthrow gov email, I do not think it is coincidence and should be investigated closer!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't realize I was a 'major' player until I had people calling ME asking about the site!

I resisted the urge to call one of the 'big dogs' because I knew if my phone was ringing their's would never be in the cradle long.

Thanks to all who got the site up. I also realized I use it way more than I thought when about every 6 hours I wanted to research a thread or topic, and the site was still down! good thing I keep TM's of site!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well I guess I'm 2nd in command. During the outage I got...

About a hundred emails asking what's up, a couple facebook messages, Clinto crying on FB that I broke it rofl, several phone calls, several text messages, three PM's on other forums I'm on, and even a message on youtube.

Guess I can't hide. :shock:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I guess I'm 2nd in command. During the outage I got...

About a hundred emails asking what's up, a couple facebook messages, Clinto crying on FB that I broke it rofl, several phone calls, several text messages, three PM's on other forums I'm on, and even a message on youtube.

Guess I can't hide. :shock:
You are a marked man..but at least you wear the Vendetta mask.. :whistle:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto crying on FB that I broke it rofl,
You broke it has been my standard retort since about the 11th grade, when a friend of mine and I flipped his Dad's CJ5 over on a dirt road.

Upside down on the side of the curve, both in our seat belts:

"Dude, I think you broke it"