• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What all do I need to install a cruise control kit on a CUCV?

TexAndy

I was thinking of installing this kit
http://www.amazon.com/Rostra-Univer...id=1425426720&sr=8-1&keywords=rostra+250-1223

The rostra 250-1223 on my M1009

Judging from the details on that page, it looks like I also need a:

Vehicle Speed sensor kit

Control switch (either stalk or dash mount)

Is there anything else I would need in addition to the above for adding cruise to a CUCV?

It all looks pretty straight-forward. If I understand it properly, it's just a servo motor to control an additional throttle cable. Servo controlled by a micro-processor/driver combo which compares "set" speed to "seen" speed from a speed sensor input and turns the motor CW or CCW to try to match the two values.

Looks like I can get everything I need, assuming those three things are it, for under 300 bucks.

Would love to hear from some people who have done this or similar to a CUCV, tho, before I dive in at the deep end.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best way is to find a civilian one with it and remove all the things , like at a salvage/wrecking yard. I could check here if you want since there are a lot of yards in my area.

Steve

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes anything around that age 81 to 87 most but some others will work , any body type too p/u blazer, etc. better if has diesel eng but not big deal.

Skinny

I would agree with all of that, just be wary of installing 30 year old electronics. I think the gas version used a vacuum actuator and the diesel version was different with an electric actuator right in front of the IP facing down at an angle. If you go scrap yard, I would source one off a diesel since I believe the systems are completely different.

TexAndy

Everything has been done with an arduino. I'm ashamed for even doubting it.

There's all kinds of cruise controls people have built on little arduino project boards if you do a google search.

I probably wouldn't go that way as I'm more interested in the results than tinkering but I guess it's an option.

Keith_J

The vehicle speed sensor might be interesting to install given the age of the vehicle. But something can be made.

TexAndy

The vehicle speed sensor might be interesting to install given the age of the vehicle. But something can be made.

If the chevy-specific vehicle speed pulse generator is too difficult to fit, they do make a version that is just magnet and hall-effect sensor for generic use.

For Ford and all other vehicle makes, we offer part number 250-4165 - a sensor that attaches to the vehicle's body and a package of magnets that attach to the vehicle's driveshaft or CV shaft. When the shaft spins and the magnet(s) pass by the sensor, a speed signal is generated.

blackhueys

That's the system I installed in my m1009. I went with the stock appearing turn signal lever and yes you do need a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) The one I used attaches to the end of the speedometer cable inline down by the transfer case this is the part number from Rostra if i remember right, 250-4153. I was thinking of using a stock setup till I tried to pull one from the boneyard. way to much work to do, to get a system that could end up being nothing but junk in the end. its been 4 years since i installed this and no issues yet, took about a day for the install. holds the set speed dead on.

llong66

TexAndy, its been a few years ago, but I bought an aftermarket CC unit from JC Whitney, a universal unit, I used it on an 85 silvarado I had a gasser, but it worked great. I cant remember the company that made it, or the details of the install, but I do know it was not hard. Had a small, 2 button control that you could place anywhere you wanted and if I am remembering correctly the throttle end would be no problem to hook up to the IP. I think the whole setup was around $100, this was maybe 12-15 years ago.

Good luck!
Greg

JJP

TexAndy,
I have an Audiovox CCS100 unit installed in my 76 C20. It works well. Easy to install. They have discontinued it but a company contracted with Audiovox to make the same unit. If you search Murphskits CCS100 you can find it. It works off of a magnetic pickup on the drive shaft or you can add a pickup inline on the speed O cable. The pickup units were used on GM vehicle in the late 80's. My brother has his truck setup with one. I am not sure of the part number but I maybe able to get some information on it if you need it. I believe you can also add a turn signal style controller instead of the supplied one.

Good Luck.

Jim

llong66

JJP, you just jarred my memory!!! Thank you! The unit i mentioned above was the Audiovox, I used the DS magnets. I did not know it had been discontinued but its nice to know somethng similar is around as I was thinking of putting one on my M1008. Thanks again!!

TexAndy

Thanks guys, but I don't know if that audiovox/murphskits ccs-100 will work. From their website:

This is a universal cruise control for internal combustion engines. It is capable of receiving inputs from various sources for speed monitoring and uses engine vacuum to operate a servo that is attached to the vehicle throttle control.
Sounds from that like it uses a vacuum-powered motor rather than an electric one. I'm not sure how that works, either. I think I prefer the all-electric with micro-controller solution.

It does look like the CCS-100 would be overall about 100 bucks cheaper, tho.

Keith_J

You could tee into the vacuum pump line at the back of the engine to use vacuum operated cruise control. Unlike a gasoline engine, you shouldn't need a vacuum reservoir since vacuum volume flow rate is proportional to engine speed. In a gasoline engine, vacuum level is inversely proportional to engine load.

blackhueys

What did you do with your windshield wiper/sprayer controls? the replacement lever just pops in everything works the same just adds cruise switches

TexAndy

You could tee into the vacuum pump line at the back of the engine to use vacuum operated cruise control. Unlike a gasoline engine, you shouldn't need a vacuum reservoir since vacuum volume flow rate is proportional to engine speed. In a gasoline engine, vacuum level is inversely proportional to engine load.

Hm. Well I might just have to go with this one, then. The ccs100 kit is 180 dollars total and comes with both the control switch and the speed sensor kit.

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a interesting project that I would like to do to my M1009! Keep us updated with pictures to when you start the install! I use my truck for traviling to Military and Gun Shows so cruise control would be great!

Skinny

I'm not sure why it is needed. With 160hp, just put a brick on the pedal and the CUCV should hold steady at about 65mph :)

Keith_J

I'm not sure why it is needed. With 160hp, just put a brick on the pedal and the CUCV should hold steady at about 65mph :)
One of the joes at BN level got a speeding ticket by VA state police for 80 in a 55 in an M1009. Andy has a 1009.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks