• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are some of the most practical V8 conversions for the M37?

Bill Kiene

I have always loved the M37 and some day I might get one to completely work over.

Just curious what V8 motors are common or practical to install in one.

I have seen the diesels but am more interested in a gas motor.

I have seen a few Dodge 318 V8s which kind of makes sense.

Any auto trans conversions?

**50 years ago I saw a 2 1/2 ton with a Dodge 383 and I think a 737 auto trans.

Thanks......

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We just finished installing a small block chevy (350) in a M43 ambulance,makes a very different truck. I would suggest changing out the ring and pinion to get a higher final ratio. We considered a 318 but had the 350 so we used that.

Mac

zak

Bought this m43 with a small block and auto trans. Had a very short driveshaft. Gas tank wasn't hooked up only gallon can. It had very minimal rust in the usual spots so it was a perfect candidate to restore. Since I'm not one to stray from originality, I pulled the engine/trans and gave it to a friend. But as you can see it fit, the transfer case and radiator were in the stock place.

Attachments

nattieleather

A GM 6.2 or 6.5 diesel with TH400 or 700r4 transmission fit nicely into the m37. If you add a turbo then you have to modify the engine bay for it to fit.