• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are some of the most practical V8 conversions for the M37?

Bill Kiene

I have always loved the M37 and some day I might get one to completely work over.

Just curious what V8 motors are common or practical to install in one.

I have seen the diesels but am more interested in a gas motor.

I have seen a few Dodge 318 V8s which kind of makes sense.

Any auto trans conversions?

**50 years ago I saw a 2 1/2 ton with a Dodge 383 and I think a 737 auto trans.

Thanks......

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We just finished installing a small block chevy (350) in a M43 ambulance,makes a very different truck. I would suggest changing out the ring and pinion to get a higher final ratio. We considered a 318 but had the 350 so we used that.

Mac

zak

Bought this m43 with a small block and auto trans. Had a very short driveshaft. Gas tank wasn't hooked up only gallon can. It had very minimal rust in the usual spots so it was a perfect candidate to restore. Since I'm not one to stray from originality, I pulled the engine/trans and gave it to a friend. But as you can see it fit, the transfer case and radiator were in the stock place.

Attachments

nattieleather

A GM 6.2 or 6.5 diesel with TH400 or 700r4 transmission fit nicely into the m37. If you add a turbo then you have to modify the engine bay for it to fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks