• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are the pros and cons of the 6.2l diesel?

BIG_RED

If you go the 6.2 route, before you put the engine in your truck, drop the oil pan and look for main bearing web cracks. I understand that one of the weaknesses of the 6.2 is broken bearing webs, eventually leading to busted crankshafts. Often it's caused by a rotted harmonic balancer. If you do a quick search, you'll find many ways to check if your balancer is still good. I'd check that before installing it too, way easier to replace on a bare engine.

Lower RPM = longer life. You'll want Overdrive with those gears to travel 70 MPH quietly with good fuel mileage. My M1009 has 3.08 gears and a th400. (third gear = 1:1). It's pretty loud at 60 MPH and just gets louder. And I get way better fuel mileage at 50 MPH.

bubba_got_you

If you go the 6.2 route, before you put the engine in your truck, drop the oil pan and look for main bearing web cracks. I understand that one of the weaknesses of the 6.2 is broken bearing webs, eventually leading to busted crankshafts. Often it's caused by a rotted harmonic balancer. If you do a quick search, you'll find many ways to check if your balancer is still good. I'd check that before installing it too, way easier to replace on a bare engine.

Lower RPM = longer life. You'll want Overdrive with those gears to travel 70 MPH quietly with good fuel mileage. My M1009 has 3.08 gears and a th400. (third gear = 1:1). It's pretty loud at 60 MPH and just gets louder. And I get way better fuel mileage at 50 MPH.
When I acquire the motor I am going to use I will go true it and check it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks