• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are the pros and cons of the 6.2l diesel?

deuce_09

My "crazy" plan was to, if your making it a 2wd,was to put 2 transmissions in it. I can post pics of my dads wrecker(chevy also so you can do the exact same thing to yours). He has a granny 4 speed with a Watson 4 speed behind it. Shifting it could be compared to a 13 speed in a semi.

DokWatson

My "crazy" plan was to, if your making it a 2wd,was to put 2 transmissions in it. I can post pics of my dads wrecker(chevy also so you can do the exact same thing to yours). He has a granny 4 speed with a Watson 4 speed behind it. Shifting it could be compared to a 13 speed in a semi.
I have seen this done as well. Buddy of mine has a manual tranny mated to an automatic tranny. Lowest gear is reverse/reverse, somewhere around 250:1 crawl ratio. Its a 4x4 though.

Last edited:

deuce_09

The wrecker has an aux. Tranny that's made for that setup. But I've heard of using an auto 1st tranny and standard aux. Tranny behind it for higher and lower gearing. Instead of perminate axle gearing. Actually that bus ,being as long as it is, you can run a divorced t-case behind the 2nd tranny and keep it 4x4. If you run a twin stick t-case, gearing would make your head spin!

Westech

CPL
ok guys.. here is the deal. #1 bump timing a bit #2 turn up fuel 1/6 of a turn #3 install new marine injector tips ($65 for all 8) and install new injector return lines ($25). The return lines dont give you power, just the factory ones will brake off. If you can change a spark plug you can install a new injector tip. Its that EZ. This will net you a close 200 HP.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok guys.. here is the deal. #1 bump timing a bit #2 turn up fuel 1/6 of a turn #3 install new marine injector tips ($65 for all 8) and install new injector return lines ($25). The return lines dont give you power, just the factory ones will brake off. If you can change a spark plug you can install a new injector tip. Its that EZ. This will net you a close 200 HP.
That's great info. Thx Westech.

Uh, not complaining, but could you elaborate on 'bump timing a bit'?

One degree? More? or is it more of a sound that you will hear once you've got all the other things done? I've tuned many a gasser for that final touch by ear.

Never thought of doing that to the diesel...

Westech

CPL
snapon I think makes a timing light adapter for the diesel with hard lines but I dont mess with that. I just turn the pump (clockwise If I remember correct) 1/8-1/4 inch on the timing marks on the pump and block. A diesel is a litle more forgiving when it comes to setting the timing by ear. a gasser you have to get on the nuts for te most part.

here is a good read on the 6.2

Oliver Diesel - Engines & Outdoors

dependable

I did a frame off on a 66 k-20. It had a 292 chevy and 4:56 gears. 4 sp manual. great truck, but rusted from the inside out, no matter what I did. The GMCs often had the V6 305 or 351s. A very good gas motor, used in a lot of school buses of the era if looking for parts. The 6.2 will be fine if only used locally and you don't have too many hills. Otherwise, you will need more power. I would go for a Cummins, if you can afford it, but you should use the cooling system off whatever Dodge you get the engine from.. and use a 5 sp, not an automatic. If you want to be psycho, put a Detroit 451 or 471 and an extra gear box. Nice truck.

bubba_got_you

I did a frame off on a 66 k-20. It had a 292 chevy and 4:56 gears. 4 sp manual. great truck, but rusted from the inside out, no matter what I did. The GMCs often had the V6 305 or 351s. A very good gas motor, used in a lot of school buses of the era if looking for parts. The 6.2 will be fine if only used locally and you don't have too many hills. Otherwise, you will need more power. I would go for a Cummins, if you can afford it, but you should use the cooling system off whatever Dodge you get the engine from.. and use a 5 sp, not an automatic. If you want to be psycho, put a Detroit 451 or 471 and an extra gear box. Nice truck.
the truck is setup for an auto now and id hate to have to change it back lol but being in florida hills is no problem. a cummins is a long range wish but i have to get rid of this 472 cause 8mpg is killing me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are doing it on the cheap, the 6.2 is the way to go. Dirt cheap (for a diesel), parts are plentiful, much easier to adapt to your current drivetrain and they wind up a little tighter than the Cummins. As others have said, lack some power. I'd say it would run with the 305 V6 or the 292 I6. Needs one power wire to run, and a manual GP system is real easy to set up.

bubba_got_you

If you are doing it on the cheap, the 6.2 is the way to go. Dirt cheap (for a diesel), parts are plentiful, much easier to adapt to your current drivetrain and they wind up a little tighter than the Cummins. As others have said, lack some power. I'd say it would run with the 305 V6 or the 292 I6. Needs one power wire to run, and a manual GP system is real easy to set up.
i want a diesel tho. if i was going gith gas i would do a 318 or a 302 or maby a 360

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats what I was saying, the 6.2 would have at least the amount of power as the 305 or 292, both common engines of that truck and time. No way it will run with the 472. That 472 will pass everything but the gas station. I think the 6.2 is an ideal engine for you r application, just don't expect 472 power!

bubba_got_you

Thats what I was saying, the 6.2 would have at least the amount of power as the 305 or 292, both common engines of that truck and time. No way it will run with the 472. That 472 will pass everything but the gas station. I think the 6.2 is an ideal engine for you r application, just don't expect 472 power!
ya well i like them dumb slow and strong lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks