• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What batterie to get in M1009 Blazer?

a68cudas

My military issue batteries finally went in my M1009 and i wanted to know what are my options for new batteries? I know alot of people like using the optima batteries but i dont want to spend what they want for those. Will marine deep cycle batteries work with 800 - 900 cold cranking amps? Any suggestions on what to get besides optimas ? what are some of you guys using? Thanks

gungearz

If cash isn't an issue.... Get 2 red top optima batteries. They will last longer then the truck and will be worry free for 10 years or 2 900cca or bigger series 31 batteries will do the trick just fine... Check all the cables to ensure good contact. There's nothing worse then having your batteries being drained by bad contacts.

Red_506

These guys are correct, but I just wanted to add there is an actual nsn for a tray adapter that makes the optima batteries fit better.

Keith_J

If cash isn't an issue.... Get 2 red top optima batteries. They will last longer then the truck and will be worry free for 10 years or 2 900cca or bigger series 31 batteries will do the trick just fine... Check all the cables to ensure good contact. There's nothing worse then having your batteries being drained by bad contacts.

They may last 10 years in a gasoline vehicle. They are unsuitable for a diesel engine. ESPECIALLY the 6.2 Detroit in military trim.

The glow plug load followed by the starter will kill them FAST. I learned the hard way, back when red tops were selling for $120.

jimmy-90

My military issue batteries finally went in my M1009 and i wanted to know what are my options for new batteries? I know alot of people like using the optima batteries but i dont want to spend what they want for those. Will marine deep cycle batteries work with 800 - 900 cold cranking amps? Any suggestions on what to get besides optimas ? what are some of you guys using? Thanks
Im wanting to think that cold weather will ruin those deep cycle marine batteries. I would just use interstate group31's. If I had it to do over again that is exactly what I would put in my truck hands down.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey we haven't had a battery thread in a while.

I can get Interstate Group 31 refurbished units for under $50 each. Not always instock but it doesn't take long to get them. 90 replacement and 12mo prorate.

Or you can spend $100 ea and get new ones.

MarcusOReallyus

Don't use deep cycle batteries. They are not designed for this type of use. The internal construction is different, because they have a different purpose.

Get batteries that are made for cranking.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What brand are the group 31s? where can i get them ? how much do they cost ? are they maintenance free? and how many cranking amps are they? Thanks
If original authenticity is not required, save yourself some money and go to WalMart and get the MAXX 65N
Stock # 068113144220
Web page list their current 65N batteries as Champion brand.

My twice as expensive Interstate 6TL's should last as long.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Champion-CHAM-65N-Automotive-Battery/19593744

Last edited:

Red_506

If your CUCV is your daily driver and you aren't a moron who leaves lights on, get any battery with 800cca or better; as they will last about the same as any battery that wasn't made on a Friday and slipped passed QC. If its something you drive now and again spend some money and get 31's or 6tl's and invest in a solargizer or battery tender in 24volts to maintain them. The bottom line is you get what you pay for; if you get crappy wal mart batteries it's a crap shoot as to how long they will last. If you get something that is quality construction and maintain it you will have better battery life in the long run.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What brand are the group 31s? where can i get them ? how much do they cost ? are they maintenance free? and how many cranking amps are they? Thanks

Group 31 is a size of battery, as are 24s, 65s, 72s etc. Look under "Group Size". Any manufacturer will have them. Wally World is one place.

Group Size:
The physical dimensions of a battery. BCI assigns letters and numbers for North American battery size types. All group-size-24 batteries, for example, have similar container dimensions, terminal orientation and terminal types.

http://www.batteries-faq.com/activekb/glossary.php

Cranking amps depends on light duty, medium duty or heavy duty. Want to know about cranking amps? Visit one of the battery manufactures webpage. Here is one. www.interstatebattery.com

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/content/product_info/auto.asp

Did you not read my earlier post? Interstate Battery has blems or refurbs for under $50. We used to buy them for $29.95. New ones will be under $100.

The cost of batteries has risen the last few years and just about any new battery will set you back close to $100.

And NO I am not an Interstate dealer. I just have one close to work and get a good price for batteries.

Last edited:

skywalker6582

Get NAPA 6TMFs

Just do what I did: Go to NAPA and tell them to cross-refeence 6TLs. They can order 6TMFs which are the newer military maintenance free versions. They will come with a NAPA decal on top, but will be stamped US on the side and have the export license restriction due to military use on another decal. You may not think that the reserve power is needed, but you never know.

jimmy-90

If your CUCV is your daily driver and you aren't a moron who leaves lights on, get any battery with 800cca or better; as they will last about the same as any battery that wasn't made on a Friday and slipped passed QC. If its something you drive now and again spend some money and get 31's or 6tl's and invest in a solargizer or battery tender in 24volts to maintain them. The bottom line is you get what you pay for; if you get crappy wal mart batteries it's a crap shoot as to how long they will last. If you get something that is quality construction and maintain it you will have better battery life in the long run.
The big group 31s do come in handy if you forget and leave your lights on. They also come in handy if you get air in your fuel lines and have to crank and crank and crank the starter which is pretty much inevtiable at some point with these trucks.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks