• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What civilian batteries to use?

Goinmxn

Ok, another problem arose tonight. My battery equalizer stopped functioning and took out I think 2 of my oem batteries. Now I need to quickly come up with a suitable civilian counterpart that is workable. There is a storm on the horizon and I have a day to figure this out. Searching resulted in many relocation projects but no firm battery suggestions. What have you guys used and can I use 2 large batteries instead. Thanks gents, this place is a life saver!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 Group 8D batteries for a 5-ton.
2 Group 31 batteries for a Deuce.

phil2968

I found out that 31's in a plastic box is an extremely tight fit. All the bolt s sticking through are in the way. The fit fine in a metal box. 24's in a plastic box work well. That's what is in mine.

Gunzy

I am using 2 group 31's in my M923 and they work great. You just have to build or modify the battery hold downs under the seat.

135gmc

If you can make them fit, a Group 31 is a standard truck battery, and it is designed for a more severe environment than an automotive battery. The last time I bought batteries for my Freightliner, I got four Exides from Tractor supply at about $125/each. They are available as both conventional lead post, and with a 3/8" threaded stud terminal.

Ultra Mag

Ok, another problem arose tonight. My battery equalizer stopped functioning and took out I think 2 of my oem batteries. Now I need to quickly come up with a suitable civilian counterpart that is workable. There is a storm on the horizon and I have a day to figure this out. Searching resulted in many relocation projects but no firm battery suggestions. What have you guys used and can I use 2 large batteries instead. Thanks gents, this place is a life saver!
Call 8250744 they have them #7266. There 800 Yards from you. Just bought six today. $161.00 , 45.00 core. Getting ready for sunday?

ThatXJGuy

A good pair of group 31s crank my 673 Mack really well. They're Napa Commercial 31 post batteries. My 6602 Powered truck is about to get a pair as well. If your truck takes a lot of cranking to start, you may need more but they crank my 673 over easy for long enough to start my truck on a -10F degree day.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like group 24 batteries, because they fit within the dimensions of a 6TL/6TMF. A group 31 or group 27 is longer.

Goinmxn

Ok, so a little complication. I installed the group 31 batteries yesterday and the truck started right up, no problems. I wired up 2 30 amp 24 to 12 volt inverters to run my 12v items in the truck until the new cooper bussman battery equalizer shows up. This morning I go to start the truck and the batteries are almost dead???? I never had this problem with the equalizer. I'm guessing the inverters are drawing enough power to do this. I am trying them on a switch over night to see what happens. Thoughts?

74M35A2

Yes, your converters are draining your batteries. Recharge them immediately, as the longer they sit dead, the more they become damaged. Not sure of your weather there, but a dead battery can freeze and then destruction happens as the ice forces the plates inside apart.

wcuhillbilly

digging through old threads, I put 4 grp 31 Dekas in my 816, Took both steel battery boxes out and cut the center walls out and welded them to be one big box, next the top posts were too close to the step thus I drilled the spot welds out of the risers on the floor and set the batteries on the floor of the box, centered them to keep them out of the exterior step hold down bolts and built my own battery hold downs out of flat bar, cutting extra 3/8 threads on the stock hold down bolts. I live in really cold temps thus I opted for 4 instead of two,, not to mention the extra draw of running auxilary lights working at nite.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found out that 31's in a plastic box is an extremely tight fit. All the bolt s sticking through are in the way. The fit fine in a metal box. 24's in a plastic box work well. That's what is in mine.
I have group 31's in my plastic battery box in my Deuce. I was told they would fit and they didn't and I tried every which way. It was so close but just didn't fit. I only needed maybe a 1/4" more room. I went to Kublo's Surplus and looked at other plastic battery boxes he had. Turns out, one was made just a little differently and had just enough room for them to fit. Maybe there was two suppliers for battery boxes? Anyway, I got the other battery box and turned some screws around and the group 31 batteries fit right in. I made my own hold downs for it and had room to fit another group 31 for my 12 volt system. 3 batteries (all group 31) installed and the rest is history.

74M35A2

I have group 31's in my plastic battery box in my Deuce. I was told they would fit and they didn't and I tried every which way. It was so close but just didn't fit. I only needed maybe a 1/4" more room. I went to Kublo's Surplus and looked at other plastic battery boxes he had. Turns out, one was made just a little differently and had just enough room for them to fit. Maybe there was two suppliers for battery boxes? Anyway, I got the other battery box and turned some screws around and the group 31 batteries fit right in. I made my own hold downs for it and had room to fit another group 31 for my 12 volt system. 3 batteries (all group 31) installed and the rest is history.
....and your "12 volt system" battery is so weak, it can't crank a lawn mower.