• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What could cause this EMERGENCY

Monkeyboyarmy

People better watch out when I'm on the road with my 923 because I would have done just what diverman did. Everthing well controlled. And his last post was unedited by the mods....[thumbzup]. What about pulling the spring brake control? This would engage the emergency brakes right?

panshark

ok, so you didn't take 1.5 miles to stop. You were able to control your "stop", by downshifting and e-braking. Stop in parentheses, because you don't stop, you made a command decision to get off the interstate and get through the intersection. Maybe a quarter mile ramp, and another quarter mile to your house. Your actions make a lot more sense in your last post. You've redeemed yourself, and now everybody knows you weren't cutting off buses full of nuns and children.:)

Some people may still nitpick the decision not to stop on the ramp and take the truck out of service, but that would be the call for a DOT guy to make, when you explain that you can almost see your house.

Diverman, you and I can both agree that 1 1/2 miles is way too long of a stopping distance for your truck at 50 mph. That indicates a lack of knowledge pertaining to vehicle control, or failure for the operator to acknowledge the seriousness of the malfunction. But you have specified that these distances have nothing to do with your situation, so I withdraw my earlier suggestion that you should have stopped the truck ASAP.

I can speak for many other members when I say that I've been where you are at in your learning curve with your MV. Some learn slow, some learn fast, but many, many of us make mistakes. We should learn from them, and then move on. We should try to learn from others' mistakes instead of having to be first in class in the school of hard-knocks. You might feel scalded by some of the replies, they didn't give you the input that you wanted. Nevertheless, you had the nerve to publicly expose your learning process. By doing so, you may have saved someone's life. For having that courage to expose yourself to the criticism of your peers, I laud you.:beer:

ODdave

Defenders,

I think some of us just get overwhelmed with all of the problems with this particular truck. Kind of makes some of us locals nervous about the condition of it and repairs being made due to the amount and content of the questions being asked, often. If you happen to notice, the members critisizing are the ones that stand the best chance of meeting this vehical on the road. With or without brakes.....

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting this Mark. I didn't like your choice of title either, but that is not germane to the discussion.

It ~never occurred to me that a blown out chunk of exhaust would melt airlines. Wow. You did great thinking under pressure and did well to get her home safely. It sounds like you had everything under control.

Just goes to show you that any part of the truck that is not in good repair can affect another. I think I will take another walk around my 923 with that in mind.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting this Mark. I didn't like your choice of title either, but that is not germane to the discussion.

It ~never occurred to me that a blown out chunk of exhaust would melt airlines. Wow. You did great thinking under pressure and did well to get her home safely. It sounds like you had everything under control.

Just goes to show you that any part of the truck that is not in good repair can affect another. I think I will take another walk around my 923 with that in mind.

This is why this entire post didn't get deleted even though it probably should have after all the complaints.:shock:

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thank you
I always try to use my best judgement in all that I do. I take all my experience (like racing) when we repair a front end part on the race car I take it on the track stay at about 1/2 speed and giggle the wheel a little run a couple laps and bring it back in and have it checked again. mistakes are unacceptable. I am the one who hits the wall at 195mph and I have to pay for a new car, we don't have ins. I had a engine with 17 hrs on it freeze up after the oil line was repaired the day before on my twin engine Cessna 421 over Houston at 10,000 ft. because the maintenance on the line was not done correctly, the 1" line blew out. I have been in the seat way to many times from mistakes made by others and had act to save my life. I hit the wall at MIS after a crew member changed the upper control arm and did not check clearance on the tire to fender well. going into turn 1, I touched the brakes, nose came down the fender cut the tire and I was on a 190 MPH ride into the wall. I use check lists for pre flight inspections, check lists for my race car inspections, and a complete walk around on my truck, before my butt gets in that seat.
That was the reason for this post, true I do not have a cdl, but I have read everything about these trucks before I even got the truck I had asked for the TM's and op manuals. No where does a problem like this even say it is possible. I wanted to put this out for everyone. I knew I would get some criticism just didn't think it would be that much. to those of you I got testy with
I'm sorry, after pages of it I got upset and stopped thinking of your side. forgive me. I did not think anyone had seen a failure like this before. To 3cavtanker I have already contacted my guy that builds my cars to come over and design a shield to protect these lines and we are going to use the same heat shield material we put on the underside of my race cars by the headers so they can't get hot again. Have already ordered new muffler, donuts, clamps and wire screen. I am very glad we got through this and got to the point of the failure and what caused it. For those of you that sent me pm's, I thank you. For those of you that criticised me I thank you also
because you read this and stayed with it until we together found the entire problem. This one issue wrote about just from comments in PM's that it made people pull out their TM's and op manuals and reread everything about this. With the number of pm's I got I am sure that many more of us researched this topic and I know this will save lives or injury's in the future.
Please just don't say I almost had a diverman happen to me. LOL Thank you everyone who got involved.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Everyone seems to want to blame this on a design flaw with where the the airlines are located . They have worked fine for 25 years , apparently the military never had a issue with it or there would be a update to the TM's . Everyone wants to overlook the fact this was caused by a neglected exhaust . The reason the D.O.T. will red tag a truck for exhaust issues is exhaust leaks have been known to fill the cab with carbon monoxide witch will put you to sleep possibly permanant . No one has even consider this . Now couple a driver thats barely alert with the melted brake lines . The exhaust fumes are as big of issue hear as the brake failure . Both of witch are preventable . If you naintain your exhaust system there should be no need for the heat shield , because it's not going to do anything to address the possible carbon monoxide issues .
Porky Just stop, your picking this informative post apart, And you just don't know when to leave things alone. What do you want him to do walk around the truck with a small hammer taping on every thing steel to see if it goes threw it then he knows he needs to fix it? Let lying dogs lye, and leave diverman alone cause your starting to P.O. ME.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This informational and eyeopening thread is about to be closed, because members can't discuss this without insulting each other.

Time outs will be handed out, if I close this thread. Everyone, slow down and re-read your post, before hitting the submit button. Be friendly or do not post.

Porky, your point only needed to be said once, and in a friendlier manor.

Csm Davis

Okay please post a picture of the hole in the exhaust it will be one of my checks because I drive many of these trucks, probably more than anyone on this site or even in service only guys I know who drive more different trucks would be the test drivers and I see them brokedown all the time in like new trucks so I have seen most of the odd things that can go wrong on these trucks this not a common occurrence, but I have had and seen on these and older 809 series a main line breakage and will have about the same effect. If I owned a 939 series truck I would make it high on my list to replace all of the plastic lines and rubber lines on this type truck not just for safety but because it will leave you stuck quicker than almost anything else on the 939 series. Now mark just a heads up you got lucky getting it back to the house but next time do yourself a favor if you lose pressure, stop don't power though your brakes it can cause a lot of damage to your truck. It could smoke the brake pads, break the axle , the driveshaft, transfercase, or transmission. Also monkeyboy the springbrake override switch does just that turns off the springbrakes not applies them, while I am thinking about it everybody that has one of these trucks should check their emergency brake most I have driven do not have it adjusted properly, this is not straight from tm but apply the springbrake override and adjust the knob on the emergency brake handle till the driveline brake holds the truck in position then pull springbrake override knob back out also you can check the air dump for the springbrakes by pulling the switch at base of the handle with the brake off this will dump the air off the springbrakes and let you test them for lockup. If someone who has time to post the actual tm process wants to, please do.

Monkeyboyarmy

Just out of curiosity, my 923 will lock the spring brakes when I pull the control on the dash. A certain 936 that I have access to will not lock the brakes when you pull the control out. It will only dump the air when you lift the e-brake handle or engage the crane pto. Although my 923's air valve is not hooked up on the e-brake handle.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Guys I have decided to not post anything else. All the info has been explained and photo's have been put up. Anything else is just for critism and enough of that has been handed out already. So I hope people have seen what can happen, learned some things, and I am moving on to finishing my truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks