• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What could we feed our trucks when in a life/death situation?

GoHot229

If the Apocalipse comes, where out of town are you going......????????? Think you can play Grizzly Adams or something? It's likely the recorses out in the hills or mountains or desert are already marginal at best, or were before the Apocalipse started. The best bet would be to form a group of like minded people with some sembelance of unity and plan for these catastrophies, or become a MORMON, and then you will have already prepared with stockpiles of nesseseties and foodstuffs.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
tell me something dog ..why does it allways seem like your trying to stop people fromtalking on her abou things your allways pushing do the search do the search youll find it there... well some guys like my self probally not allways sure they did the search right or would like to see what someone eles has to say on the matter and ... to make sure they do it right...im not trying to start something with you just wondering why you seem to come off that way at alot of threads....sorry if i pushed some buttons with you but i just want to know.. thanx..joe

I hope I am not stepping on doghead's toes with this reply, but I have written a lot about it and feel I am qualified to answer.

You need to search and find the threads which already cover the topic you are interested in and ADD to those threads. Every single thought does not require a new thread. Taking an existing thread which covers a topic you are interested in and adding to it benefits the membership by having one big, all inclusive thread with lots of data in it. Take for instance the "deuce dump conversion" thread. It consists of multiple pages, with info from multiple people who have done dump conversions. It includes pictures of Stretch's dump, Mangus580's and Gringeltaube's. So a person considering doing such a conversion to their own truck can see multiple methods and read the in-depth discussion of pros and cons, all within one thread. Now, isn't that better than having to first find and then read multiple threads? Of course it is.

Multiple times we have tried to have "search tutorials", we either invited people into chat or had threads where we tried to teach people to use the search better but there was practically no interest. If you need help with search, I will be MORE than happy to show you all the tricks I know. PM me and I'll get you to the point where you can find almost anything you want here.

The thing about wanting to know what someone else has to say on a topic can be addressed simply by bumping an existing thread. "Hey guys, I know this thread is old, but I'd like to know what you new guys think" or "Hey guys, what about X as an alternative"?

Why is search so important?

As we have repeatedly explained, there is a reason that people need to search and find the answers that are already out there instead of the same questions and answers being posted and re-posted in infinity.

When a person comes onto the forum and wants to learn about something and they do a search (let's say for insurance), they find dozens of threads. All covering the same thing.

And that person looks at all those results and says "Wow, I don't have the time to read all that" (or they are just impatient) so they add to the problem by posting a new thread which just adds to the problem.

Eventually, we will have ruined this fantastic library of information that's been amassed because the repetition in search words will make it impossible to find anything!

Here's a good example:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/406597-post15.html

Now, if you don't care about any of the stuff I just posted, fine.

But you get another problem with heavy repetition of the same 10-20 questions.

The guys who have been in the hobby for years, the real experts, not just the guys who have had a truck for a year or two get tired of reading those same questions over and over again. Because they've answered them dozens of times. Eventually, they won't even bother to answer. So then, the only people answering your question will be newbies! Do you want them or experts answering?

So you basically begin to "dumb down" your answers and, what's worse, is that instead of having one or two threads that are in depth, intelligent discussions with a lot of answers, you get dozens of threads with just the answer you want and little else. Again, because the experts are basically staying out because they've covered that ground a million times before.

Guys, this site has over 38,000 threads and almost half a million posts. If we don't get the management of data under control, it will be total anarchy and you won't be able to find ANYTHING. When we get to the point where there are 25 threads on identical topics, ANY time a person has a question they will have to post a new thread because finding the data (needle) in the haystack of data out on the forum will be impossible.

At that point, the membership of SS won't be learning anything, we'll all be too busy repeating answers all day.

I hope this answers your question.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

well i still dont really have any of the "out of the box" ideas I was looking for with exception of using tube socks as filters and the embalming fluid at funeral homes.

Most of the other ideas that were posted were already listed in old threads....steal fluids from dead cars, airport fuels, yada yada yada

the SS mods can probably delete this thread...there are no new ideas so far

Last edited by a moderator:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maverick,
That's because there really isn't anymore 'out of the box' ideas. Most everything has been covered in the other threads. Basically if you have to get out of town, and your tank is dry, and you DON'T care about the longevity of your multi, pour in anything that burns and has the right viscosity either on its own or blended. Then you can at least get some distance away.

The truth of it is, unless you are in the middle of nowhere, or the town has already been picked clean, you’re going to find more than enough to fill a M49 tanker in a small town. There is just way too much oil that I know will work laying around to worry about small bottles of alcohol or even tanks of embalming fluid. I didn't even know it was flammable. If it gets so bad that I have to start raiding funeral homes for fuel, I'm just going to slid into one of the nice drawers and stay there.

On the other hand, I too am curious like you obviously are as to what 'unconventional' fuels could be found. So I understand your question and curiosity. But almost everything flammible that you are likely to find in a town has been mentioned.

How about this, take some acetylene bottles and feed the engine with that? or hydrogen even.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably not, If you are offended, I apologize, if you are intrigued, PM me!:wink:
Not offended at all, just mildly annoyed. It seems that in some threads, if someone strays off topic -just-a-bit- a zealous mod will jump in, smack them, and delete their "offending" posts. So it's OK if you do it?

Since you are a mod it would seem that you would be familiar with the forum rules and not surrendering to the temptation to evangelize in a thread about fuels :wink:, I think this http://www.steelsoldiers.com/chaplains-corner/ was provided for that.

That said, judging by the number and enthusiasm of the posts, it seems like many of us would enjoy a thread about The Zombie Apocalypse, which is really just a reference to any number of natural or manmade disaster scenarios.

Some of the comments have been interesting, valuable, and insightful. Lives could be saved with the information presented there. For example, people who think they are just going to go to some small town or farm and get fed, or camp in the forest and live off the land are really going to be disappointed. It is worthy of discussion.

There are other forums dedicated to that sort of thing, but most of them are pretty kook-infested. Seems like SS is less infested than most and I for one would prefer to discuss it here.

Where would a discussion of this sort be welcomed as appropriate, or at lest tolerated? Conversations?

I bet it would be popular :grin:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We would like to keep the site, "kook free"! Give an inch, they take a mile.....

if someone strays off topic -just-a-bit- a zealous mod will jump in, smack them, and delete their "offending" posts. So it's OK if you do it?
Too much exaggeration there, I cant "jump In", and I never "smack". I have a vision (goal) for the site, if the posts don't fit, they get deleted. That's how it works.

I left it to the reader to choose their convictions, If you think I was too pushy, I will argue that point.

Popular, is not the focus of the site. Intelligent MV related posts are always welcome. If you are a Doomsday worrier, then your better off, on another site.

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are a Doomsday worrier, then your better off, on another site.
I agree. My interest is in Emergency Preparedness.

Yanno, toss the zombies aside, this thread COULD be useful for people in the hurricane belt, or other major natural disaster centers.
People love to talk about tossing zombies aside! :-D A close second is any discussion of Chupacabras. Perhaps we could do with less of the whimsical and more of the practical though.

The northwest is a pretty active earthquake zone. Part of my business is in helping to provision and maintain EOCs [Emergency Operations Centers] for public safety organizations. I realized that neither my business or my family is properly prepared. I have begun working on that.

My question was, "where can we discuss this?" Your earlier comment about this thread disappearing had me concerned. Was it just because of the silly zombie comments?

And on the subject of bugging out...if you don't have a well stocked position to fall back to that is safe and secure you are just going to be another problem for someone like me who is prepared and not planning on welcoming empty handed extra mouths to feed.
I hate to sound cold but there is only so many people that my place will support.
And everyone has a equal opportunity to prepare...most people unwilling to admit that their little world is a fragile place and don't want the resposibility of providing for their own security.
Whether one likes it or not, this is the truth. In a disaster situation you either depend on your own preparations or you depend on the taxpayer to feed, clothe, and house you and your family.

Evacuation without a prepared place to go to is a bad idea.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was it just because of the silly zombie comments?

Yes, just the silly comments. If we post intelligent ideas about emergency preparedness, this is a useful and interesting topic. I realise the reference to Zombies is not real, but it really makes us look like a bunch of idiots.(fishbowl effect)

Last edited:

zout

amazed

For one on this site I greatly appreciate the knowledge that is learned from previous posts and being able to sift through the search engine to locate what I am looking for.

Second - there are many whom at this time have the same identical concept in thought that **** may hit the fan ( I appologize now if I offend someone). Some look at information and decifer though it and learn to know its truth - and it orign - more importantly - its orign.

If nothing is too "happen" - fine
But also in the same light - why does the U.S. Army web site post jobs - paid with our tax dollars - that enlighten at least a couple of us as to what is going on in our country.
Why does the web site post for position's for internment personnel. Why intern someone if there is nothing going on at this time in the states. Their (our - cause its our tax dollars that pay for it) site does not state - overseas.

A little bit of information given in increment stages can be used as usefull info.
Some see trees as trees - I seem them as GOD's eye candy - made for me Knowing who IS still in control.
Regulating current information is a key - this is a legal web site (U.S.Army) - and it is not ficticious - nor is it spam - it is what it is. It is simply a question as to where this thread started from in thought.
Nothing more to say on this - but I can pm you the exact web address. Doen - over and out.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Emergency Preparedness - Sans Zombies

Most of us know that the likelihood of flesh eating zombies becoming a real hazard for us to be concerned about is minimal, so from now on I will make no further reference to them.

What does happen every day somewhere in the world are earthquakes, epidemics, military actions, civil disorders, and bad weather, all of which can displace you from your home.

Many of us like to think that with our trusty MV, we can evacuate from the bad situation to a safe area.

What so few give any thought to beyond burning chicken fat in their multifuel deuce in order to get out of Dodge is what they are going to eat when they get to that Shangrila they have marked out on the map.

I always try to start with a Desired Outcome first, then plan the steps to get there. I would sure be interested to hear your ideas on this too. ->next post

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Desired Outcome in Emergency Situation

What I would strive for is a comfortable existence in the location of my choice.

We have to realize that most of the planet that is inhabitable, already is. Most of the food sources are already spoken for and utilized.

If I were to evacuate to someplace in rural Oregon, there is probably already someone living out there in the woods in a school bus with three pit bulls that is keeping the local deer population thoroughly poached. [close neighbor, real example]

Were I to show up empty handed on a relative's doorstep, I might not receive too warm of a welcome as they are already living in a tough rural economy and most likely are having a tough time feeding themselves. [they don't poach]

So it is great to be able to get out of the city in our MVs but what then? Shall we rely on God or good luck to feed us? Our Creator gave us examples such as the Ant and the Grasshopper to teach us, brains to comprehend, and bigmouths such as me to remind us.

Here's a couple of ideas to get started with. If you have any intention at all of using your MV to evacuate in an emergency, be prepared as part of the solution, don't add to the problem.

1. Buy a couple of Greenlee or similar gangboxes
GREENLEE Tool Box 30 X 48 X 30 - Mfg# 3048
they can be had on Craigslist for $100 if you are patient. I have bought several for that price like new. Pack them with the things you will need for an extended camping trip. They can be kept locked up and chained into the back of your MV or loaded quickly if needed. They are waterproof and designed to be difficult to break into.

2. Make arrangements with someone you trust in the area you plan to evac to. Find someone who will let you store what you need to live comfortably. For $5000 you can buy a cargo container on CL, and fill it with an army tent, wood stove, and the food you need for a long time. You could also camp in the container. Most of them don't leak. Do you really want to be one of the people camped/crammed in the sports stadium? When you have enough for yourself, think of others. If you ever need these preparations, so will others who didn't prepare. Charity is good.

3. Get a couple of clean 55 gallon drums from CL or a bulk oil distributor. Fill them with something your MV will burn in any weather and either keep them loaded or have a means available to load them quickly. Include a transfer pump. Sure your deuce will go xxx number of miles without refueling, but consider that during an emergency, you may end up detouring many miles out of your way or burning extra fuel while waiting for something. Figure at least three times the fuel ordinarily needed.

4. Think in reverse order of how you want things to end up, right up to when you receive the hurricane warning. Plan ahead, then you won't need to waste time trying to drain oil out of a transformer.

5. Evacuate early. Call it a dry run, camping trip, whatever. So what if you are wrong? If you evac early you are not part of the problem. If a tornado flattens your trailer, have a place to go!

There's a start!

nhdiesel

Hey guys, this site is always informative for me. I really should spend more time on it. As someone who is "always thinking", it doesn't take much to get my mind on a subject and get me wondering about it. In this case, its about getting prepared. Since I started reading this thread (and the other twin to it) I have been thinking about any type of disaster scenario. Some mainstream folks might think of anyone who prepares for what might never happen as quacks and nutjobs, and say nothing will ever happen where they live. Well just think about the last few decades. A fair-sized earthquake in California. A nasty hurricane in southern Florida that left people defending their homes with weapons. Katrina that left much of the gulf region doing just what has been talked about in this thread- hunting for any sort of fuel. I don't live anywhere near there, but I know from both the internet and news how long it was before fuel started getting rucked in and was widely available again. And even up where I live, in northern New England, a bad ice storm last winter caused power outages for up to a couple weeks, and it easily could have been much worse. And up where I am its nothing to get 3-foot or larger snow storms. Not sure how a Deuce does in snow, but I'm interested to find out.

Chances are nothing will ever happen. But if it does its better to be even a little prepared than to be one of the sheep waiting to be rescued. I'm by far unprepared for any sort of disaster...at least in the sense of having a supply of food, fuel, etc. But at least I can handle myself in a McGyver sort of way, and can usually find solutions to problems. I'm blessed that I'm in an area where a lot of people do have stocks of food, and my wife has lots of family around.

There may not be a need to get out of town, but knowing what your Deuce can run on might save the day if you have to go several weeks without access to fuel around your home. When others are forced to park their vehicles, you can make it to where you need to go- whether its to check on family members nearby or get supplies somewhere they are still available.

Thinking about this, has anyone used a multifuel to run a generator? I was thinking about that today, and it might be a good idea to take a running multifuel and build a generator. I think I'll go use the SEARCH FUNCTION. ;-)

Jim

kcimb

According to what environmentalists think, we feed our trucks the life-blood of mother earth...

When the SHTF I'll go looking for that.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
has anyone used a multifuel to run a generator? I was thinking about that today, and it might be a good idea to take a running multifuel and build a generator. I think I'll go use the SEARCH FUNCTION. ;-)

Jim
That. Is a COOL idea! Multifuel engines are relatively inexpensive, and can be run on chicken fat if it is hot or even poo gas.

While a six cylinder multifuel is big overkill for home power generation, it would work great with a battery bank to charge and an inverter. That way it only runs when needed, and at full load, peak efficiency. Great for off the grid living too. Primary could be wind, water, or solar, with multifuel generator as backup.

So what would the must have mods be for engine longevity?

Would you use turbo charged, or naturally aspirated?

Preoiler?

Fancy paint job?

What kind of governor be needed?

I did some searching and couldn't find anything. Has the military ever used a multifuel engine to power a generator?

nhdiesel

Honestly for how few RPMs are needed to get the needed power from a Multifuel, I'd just hook it up to a generator (can be bought from Northern Tool), preset the RPMs and let it run when necessary. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to config. the governor to adjust to maintain speed regardless of load, and set it up just like a regular generator. Hmmmm, could a multifuel be used to power one of the military generator units? Then everything would already be there...just use the mf in place of the small diesel, and feed it the fluid of your choice.

Jim

Keith_J

Honestly for how few RPMs are needed to get the needed power from a Multifuel, I'd just hook it up to a generator (can be bought from Northern Tool), preset the RPMs and let it run when necessary. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to config. the governor to adjust to maintain speed regardless of load, and set it up just like a regular generator. Hmmmm, could a multifuel be used to power one of the military generator units? Then everything would already be there...just use the mf in place of the small diesel, and feed it the fluid of your choice.

Jim
You would need a much more accurate governor. The hand throttle is just that, a throttle. The engine should be fine at 1800 RPM with a 4 pole generator but it would be a waste for any load under 50 kW and that is a rather large generator. And that load is probably too much for the PTO, at least the winch PTO.

The Hypercycle multifuel also have a crappy brake specific fuel consumption for a diesel, about 0.40 pounds per Hp-hour. Running at 1800 RPM and generatiing 90 kW, you would burn 10 gallons per hour. 90 kW-hours has a market value of about $10. And that is the PEAK efficiency, running at say 3 kW? BSFC would be in the 0.55 pounds per hp-hour.

Last edited:

kcimb

You would need a much more accurate governor. The hand throttle is just that, a throttle. The engine should be fine at 1800 RPM with a 4 pole generator but it would be a waste for any load under 50 kW and that is a rather large generator. And that load is probably too much for the PTO, at least the winch PTO.

The Hypercycle multifuel also have a crappy brake specific fuel consumption for a diesel, about 0.40 pounds per Hp-hour. Running at 1800 RPM and generatiing 90 kW, you would burn 10 gallons per hour. 90 kW-hours has a market value of about $10. And that is the PEAK efficiency, running at say 3 kW? BSFC would be in the 0.55 pounds per hp-hour.
Is there anything you don't know?

(Hello from Arfcom)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the Apocalipse comes, where out of town are you going......????????? Think you can play Grizzly Adams or something? It's likely the recorses out in the hills or mountains or desert are already marginal at best, or were before the Apocalipse started. The best bet would be to form a group of like minded people with some sembelance of unity and plan for these catastrophies, or become a MORMON, and then you will have already prepared with stockpiles of nesseseties and foodstuffs.
I was waiting to post in case someone beat me to it and you did. I'm already forming a network of friends who can a) attend to medical needs b) provide security c) know how to farm d) work on a deuce - not necessarily in that order. I already have about 8-10 nurses/emts lined up, at least 1 former honor graduate of the 101st sniper school, plenty of would be farmers, and my latest best friend (who'll remain nameless incase any of you want to try and bribe him) that figured out my generator problem and knows his way around under a deuce hood. Like wreckerman I'm planning on staying put as long as possible and have the means to do so. But I do not plan on going out like Butch and Sundance. The fallback location is already planned and I'm sure we'll find whatever fuel we need on the trip there (Road Warrior style if necessary).

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel this stock pile that but when it all come down to it you need food stock SEEDS and a strong back. A horse and plow would be your better bet.