• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did I just buy??? S-711 Shelter???

zen314

Zen find out what Amp draw is at what voltage ? Also you can use a Isolation Transformer for noise reduction. And if thats not good enough add a few big Caps LOL . A friend of mine has been talking about the new digital converters and says he has seen a few in the feild that have worked well. Maybe do a little more digging in that direction ?

Jim
Thanks, I will just have to get it and take a look at it to see how many amps it draws. I actually meant noise of the acoustical variety rather than electrical, but I really do not need either type.

Do these digital converters go by any other name or is there a predominant brand for them? Thanks.

3dAngus

The TRC-170 was a microwave system. It replaced the TRC-97
The TRC-179 is just a HF radio with some Electronic Counter Counter measures in it. Just a special HAM radio.

That is one fine shelter. I spent many a day in them, or the predessor, I think a S-280 or something in VN. I don't think that one was ever used, and it is one of the nicest I've ever seen. Congrats!

3dAngus

BTW, that A/C might be 400hz. You need to check on that. I blew my ears out on 400Hz generators, motors, and fans in those vans. They whine like a screaming baby.

Hope it's not 400hz.

Bulldog 4

I worked on the TTC and TYC-39 switches. We had them on 5 ton trucks. I fielded all of them at Ft. Bragg and all over Germany. The switches were in 2 shelters plus a maintenance shelter full of spare parts. The first thing that got set up was the coffee pot. I miss those things.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is similar dimensions to the S-280, but the weight is listed as 8200 lbs! Is this the empty weight or the maximum loaded weight?

It looks to be nicer than my 280 I got last year at Indy but mine only weighed between 800 and 1200 lbs. It is completely empty as well.

Looks like you got a nice one.

sw

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since your auction link will die in a couple of days (GL pulls completed sales fairly quickly) I have taken the liberty of posting your pictures here so they are not lost to the rest of us.

Nice score. [thumbzup]

Cheers

Attachments

G-Force

Considering the acquisition price was $239,000.00 and you only paid $3,000.00 I'd say you got a good deal.

Went on LOGSA, TM11-5411-215-14P is not released for public use. So if you do get one.............

Last edited:

Bulldog 4

I wanted that shelter but didn't bid on it since I need a deuce first to put it on. I already have an S-250 in my daughter's back yard that my grandkids are using to play army in. That is one nice clean looking shelter you got there.

3dAngus

It would be cool to put one up in a tree for the kids and make a treehouse for them.
You would probably have to be Disney to do it, with the weight and all.
One of our favorite SS members down in Florida recently built a treehouse. Wonder how that's going? I just love stuff like that for kids.

The weight of that unit, completely stripped, should be in the 1000 pound area.
8000 pounds would be loaded with equipment.

Bulldog 4

That would take a heck of a tree. When I was a kid my cousin who was much older than me was in the Army at AP Hill and got us a shelter half tent and a couple of 20Hz ringdown field telephones and a small spool of WD-1 field wire. We played with them for years until finally I grew up and after 7 years active duty in the AF and finishing college I ended up as a field engineer and instructor with GTE Government Systems working on (what else?) army telephone switches. I wonder why.;)

Bulldog 4

Yeah, 3D, my brother and I shocked each other and all our friends and later we figured out how to ring up worms out of the yard when we wanted to go fishing. FREE BAIT!!!:D

zen314

It would be cool to put one up in a tree for the kids and make a treehouse for them.
You would probably have to be Disney to do it, with the weight and all.
One of our favorite SS members down in Florida recently built a treehouse. Wonder how that's going? I just love stuff like that for kids.
I have a S-788 shelter that might be appropriate for that. It is 608lbs empty and made from aluminum honeycomb material. I thought about hanging it from aircraft cables attached to 4 trees by the 4 hooks at the top, and attaching eyebolts all the way through the trees. I think the trees should support the weight, but I wouldn't want to be in there in a high wind. Has anyone ever actually pulled off something like this?
nopics

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks